Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your thoughts

sounds like you've made some real good choices sid. good luck with everything and keep believeing in yourself. Chances are you'll take a few knocks but thats only cause your breaking new ground.
    is it wrong to use your unfair advantage?

@Sid

Cheers for the answer mate! Very happy to hear it's going well for you. Must take a lot out of you to get through such stressful situations - but hey, it's all the sweeter when you manage to beat the challenge!

I'm sure you'll be great at it as well - you seem to love dogs and I'm not sure you can get much better experience than the one you said you have. Glad to hear it's going so well!

Keep grinding and don't let up - that's where all the fun's at!
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Thanks Craoibhe You've always checked in and it's really endearing, hope all is well with you!

Choices have come largely by chance - I initially started volunteering at an Animal Sanctuary as I could feel my relationship was going to come to an end and I wanted something to soften the blow, it led to me attempting to rescue a dog which didn't work out and he had to back, I hit the books and started trying all sorts of stuff with the Sanctuary dogs, learned a lot, tried to rescue a dog that fitted my personality a lot better (my current dog) and I've had him for 21 months now - he had a behavioural issue, we contacted a behavioural therapist, he came out to the house, got chatting about "why" I got the dog (had always felt a dog would alleviate some symptoms but acting on it hadn't come to fruition) and we got talking, he'd been through a lot of what I went through during a time when there was much less understanding, he took me under my wing, told me to go to a Hall that Saturday with a dog training colleague of his and it has all snowballed thanks to a combination of my own hard work and having two people mentor me well.

All started with me taking on a dog that was too much for me and the knock-on effects of that. As Bob Ross would say, "there are no mistakes, just happy little accidents".

Will update this thread as I make little bits of progression in this area, but it's all going well. For me to take on the travelling/staying somewhere new/driving new roads that I did over the last few days would have seemed impossible even a year ago.

Slow and steady
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

What a ****ing great city New York is. Just wandering around, taking it all in, stopping in bars here and there, talking to people, have the craic.

The opportunities might have come from a mixture of luck or your own subconscious desires to push yourself on, but you choose to take the risks. Sounds like your working hard on many aspects. Great to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Craoibhe Rua View Post
    The opportunities might have come from a mixture of luck or your own subconscious desires to push yourself on, but you choose to take the risks. Sounds like your working hard on many aspects. Great to hear.
    You got all that from a comment about New York?!
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

I'm a real fortune cookie, blinky

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    You got all that from a comment about New York?!
    It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    @Sid

Cheers for the answer mate! Very happy to hear it's going well for you. Must take a lot out of you to get through such stressful situations - but hey, it's all the sweeter when you manage to beat the challenge!

I'm sure you'll be great at it as well - you seem to love dogs and I'm not sure you can get much better experience than the one you said you have. Glad to hear it's going so well!

Keep grinding and don't let up - that's where all the fun's at!
    Somehow missed this post - think you must have typed it as I was typing my response to Craoibhe.

It's exhausting, but gradually proving more and more worthwhile. I'm lucky to have a lot of passion and enthusiasm for the field, combined with good training, plus am constantly exposed to problematic dogs, from which you learn the most.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Was up north this weekend. Took in the giants causeway the rope bridge in balintoy and the titanic exhibition in Belfast. Best weekend I've had in ages. The titanic exhibit is exceptional. Brilliant weather food and very nice people. I'll definitely visit our northern neighbours again. You'd need two weeks to even scratch the surface of all the interesting stuff to see up there.
    The coastline is amazingly beautiful around the causeway and the weather was great.