Page 1 of 93 123456781151 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Brexit

What do you brits think about this? You got a lot of concessions from the EU yet it's still pretty even on which way a referendum will go. Won't be good for the markets in the run up to the referendum. If they leave, it will create a lot of uncertainty and probably job losses in the short term.

Plus, you'll have to start going through passport patrol whenever you go to mainland Europe!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven - Dublin View Post
    What do you brits think about this? You got a lot of concessions from the EU yet it's still pretty even on which way a referendum will go. Won't be good for the markets in the run up to the referendum. If they leave, it will create a lot of uncertainty and probably job losses in the short term.

Plus, you'll have to start going through passport patrol whenever you go to mainland Europe!
    How do you think it will affect Ireland if we vote to leave?

I'm not sure. The U.K. Is our biggest trading partner. They may decide to impose tarriffs on good imported from Europe to product homegrown produce.

But then, a lot of financial companies are nervous about the uk leaving. Will they look to leave London? If so, with Ireland as the only other EU country with English as its first language, Dublin may be able to take advantage.

Difficult to know what to think. Its like an election,the papers all root for who they want and slander the others. This situation is no different, theres pros and cons to being in the EU. I dont like the way any nation cant make decisions for themsleves especially in terms of criminals and convictions. Ive watched question time a few times when its being one of the topics and that gets you no further forward in terms of which way to vote. If it was going to cost jobs in the uk Ill be inclined to vote for us to stay. The work situation in my neck of the woods is grim at the moment and doesnt look like getting any better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven - Dublin View Post
    I'm not sure. The U.K. Is our biggest trading partner. They may decide to impose tarriffs on good imported from Europe to product homegrown produce.

But then, a lot of financial companies are nervous about the uk leaving. Will they look to leave London? If so, with Ireland as the only other EU country with English as its first language, Dublin may be able to take advantage.
    Interesting and that tallies with something I've seen in the FT.

On the other hand, the Economist reckons that the Irish govt are the most vocal foreign supporters of the 'in' campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Difficult to know what to think. Its like an election,the papers all root for who they want and slander the others. This situation is no different, theres pros and cons to being in the EU. I dont like the way any nation cant make decisions for themsleves especially in terms of criminals and convictions. Ive watched question time a few times when its being one of the topics and that gets you no further forward in terms of which way to vote. If it was going to cost jobs in the uk Ill be inclined to vote for us to stay. The work situation in my neck of the woods is grim at the moment and doesnt look like getting any better soon.
    Guess you've got to consider how much the EU invests in your local area and the overall impact of employment law coming out of Brussels might have on you if it were to be reversed by a Tory dominated parliament.

I remember reading something about a huge biomass plant being planned/built in Teesside, but have no idea what the EU's influence was on that.

It's not an easy decision I think as the 'out' campaign can make all kinds of promises about the prospect of 'a new world' yet on the other hand the EU badly needs reform.

Geo-politically it seems like a no-brainer according to some and we should stay - Putin wants us to leave as he feels like it will destabilise the EU project making it easier for an aggressive Russia to expand their sphere of influence while facing a divided Europe.

Personally I'm sceptical that after a Brexit we'd be able to successfully renegotiate 30 odd new better trade deals that would be more beneficial in our favour as a vastly reduced market for our trading partners.

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley 86 View Post
    Interesting and that tallies with something I've seen in the FT.

On the other hand, the Economist reckons that the Irish govt are the most vocal foreign supporters of the 'in' campaign.

Yes, the Irish govt would be huge supporters. If trade is effected by you leaving the EU, jobs will be lost here.

Foreign investment MAY leave London and there will be lots of other cities scrambling to get that business too. The Irish govt haven't got the gumption to position Dublin so that it's a no brainer for these companies to move to Dublin over any other country.

Politicians will also protect what they have over a speculate to accumulate. You'll lose votes for losing existing jobs. Y

Out of course.The concessions are worthless anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobo View Post
    Out of course.The concessions are worthless anyway.
    Hasn't EU funding done quite a bit for Liverpool?

If I had the choice to vote I'd vote to leave.

I'd be pro an irexit or Irish exit too.

Agree teesred, data protection for sex offenders and free travel shows how universal applications are particularly dumb.

Imo these political institutions are not quite micro and macro level differences of size. But if you have dumb policies at a national level you get similar dumb policies at the bigger level. Same for corruption too imo.

From an Irish perspective we'd be better off out of Europe.

I'd expect ye/UK to not vote to leave. Like the Scottish independence , the financial fear mongering will swing the vote.
    A Stockholm syndrome type effect.