Page 5 of 93 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by tonk View Post
    Think you Poms should bail out while you can or that might be it for good.

Forget the economics of it,it's the principal.

'Europe' has massively expanded its reach into facets of life and government it was never intended to go.

Seems like its been a case of softly, softly, then one day everyone wakes up and realises your country has been stolen.
    That's easy to say from the safety of Australia.

Yet to see a convincing argument to leave or that it's economically within our interests to do so.

Yep, stick around, you dang islanders! Eventually you'll be forced to allow the filthy hordes of stench-ridden commoners from the lesser parts of the continent such as myself to enter freely! Mwahahaha!

On a more serious note, this will be a massively important decision for the future of the EU. Which isn't looking perfectly rosy anyway, no UK will probably further damage the belief in the stability and security of the union.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Yep, stick around, you dang islanders! Eventually you'll be forced to allow the filthy hordes of stench-ridden commoners from the lesser parts of the continent such as myself to enter freely! Mwahahaha!

On a more serious note, this will be a massively important decision for the future of the EU. Which isn't looking perfectly rosy anyway, no UK will probably further damage the belief in the stability and security of the union.
    True - a leave vote will be bad for everyone concerned except perhaps Russia.

Personally would like a narrow win for the remain campaign to send the message that some element of reform is needed in the EU project.

Hopefully there'll be lasting divisions within the Conservative party too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley 86 View Post
    Personally would like a narrow win for the remain campaign to send the message that some element of reform is needed in the EU project.
    That seems like the best option - to a very apolitical person such as myself it looks like the EU needs some modernisation.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Big TV debate tonight on Sky news on Brexit with the Leave campaign getting their chance to present their story.
    Last edited by Wembley 86; 3rd June 2016 at 07:15 PM.

http://news.sky.com/watch-live

Think this might be streaming it later. Will probably give it watch - would like to know what goes on in Europe's USA.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 3rd June 2016 at 07:26 PM.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

http://news.sky.com/watch-live

Think this might be streaming it later. Will probably give it watch - would like to know what goes on in Europe's USA.
    Sadly it's all starting to come down to the question of immigration and border control.

Some polls now that people are prepared to accept economic recession as long as it means keeping out Johnny Foreigner.

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley 86 View Post
    Sadly it's all starting to come down to the question of immigration and border control.

Some polls now that people are prepared to accept economic recession as long as it means keeping out Johnny Foreigner.
    Doesn't surprise me one bit. Seen / heard of places here where German is hardly spoken. Can see how it would scare the natives. Especially with the recent bombings and the potential influx of muslims.

Can also only imagine what your mass media has been spouting. Kind of hard for me to see it from that perspective though, as I kind of am "Johnny Foreigner".

As a sidenote, why the crap is it "Johnny Foreigner"?! Wouldn't it make more sense if it was "Ivan Forinov" or something like that?
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Seen / heard of places here where German is hardly spoken. Can see how it would scare the natives. Especially with the recent bombings and the potential influx of muslims.

Can also only imagine what your mass media has been spouting. Kind of hard for me to see it from that perspective though, as I kind of am "Johnny Foreigner".

As a sidenote, why the crap is it "Johnny Foreigner"?! Wouldn't it make more sense if it was "Ivan Forinov" or something like that?
    You'll get in on the points system anyway.

I think you're right thought that there's been a shift in attitudes to the right in the wake of the terror attacks.

Also I feel the negative campaigning by Remain just isn't capturing people's imaginations in the way Out has managed too.

Plus there's basically no effective campaign figure from the Labour Party whilst Cameron sounds more and more like a man fighting for his job.

Sounds fun. Damn. The debate is quite fun though, old dude says something insane, some bombastic promise (No EU = moar Jobs for young people), people clap, other guy says it's bollocks, people clap. The hell?

Points system? Sounds dehumanising.

Edit: Damn, Greece has given them a lot of ammo. Never liked the uptight slouches.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 3rd June 2016 at 08:14 PM.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non