Page 8 of 93 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151858 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

I hope you're not suggesting it's all a conspiracy by those barmy Brussels bureaucrats.

If the economic opinion was split then it would add weight to the Brexit argument.

As it is, it seems unlikely that so many experts are going to be wrong about the negative effects of Brexit.

I think a more plausible argument is that the economic shock might only be short.

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley 86 View Post
    Convenient.
    Convenient or the truth? Did they predict the recession or indeed previous ones? No. So what makes you think they are going to be any better in this instance?

Given that I and a family member have been keeping tabs on who has been saying what and why (to the extent of making a list), I think you'll find that the vast majority of those who are in the 'remain' camp have vested interests.

Just because you don't agree with something, it doesn't make it a 'conspiracy'. Of course the split isn't going to appear even when most of those who are given the largest/loudest platform make it look that way. Again I have been keeping tabs on such things e.g. the beeb and radio stations such as LBC giving disproportionate air time/not cutting off those in the 'remain' camp, as apposed to shutting down 'brexit' campaigners and weighting/loading audiences with 'plants'.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Convenient or the truth? Did they predict the recession or indeed previous ones? No. So what makes you think they are going to be any better in this instance?

Given that I and a family member have been keeping tabs on who has been saying what and why (to the extent of making a list), I think you'll find that the vast majority of those who are in the 'remain' camp have vested interests.

Just because you don't agree with something, it doesn't make it a 'conspiracy'. Of course the split isn't going to appear even when most of those who are given the largest/loudest platform make it look that way. Again I have been keeping tabs on such things e.g. the beeb and radio stations such as LBC giving disproportionate air time/not cutting off those in the 'remain' camp, as apposed to shutting down 'brexit' campaigners and weighting/loading audiences with 'plants'.
    Some economists were predicting previous recessions.

It's very unusual to get an economic event that pulls together virtually ALL respected economists though and Brexit does in this case.

Think the more credible elements in the leave campaign are accepting that there would be an economic shock - it's just a case of how long that shock will last.

As for the media being biased? I think most would accept that the print media has been mainly Eurosceptic since the 1990s with one or two exceptions.

I think you'll find that the broadcast media are operating under legislation that forces them to give equal airtime to both sides of the debate.

I read somewhere that only the UK and Germany put more cash in than they take out. If that's true and we do vote out, then the EU is ****ed, it will crumble because there's no way Germany will fund the rest of Europe.. I think I'll be voting to leave, for no better reason than just to see what happens if we do.

I'll be voting to leave because of the immigration issue, i.e. How long the long the wait is in the local under pressure a+e department when a large number are Eastern Europeans . Also the fact that there are local factories where I would feel out of place and in the minority working. And whilst in the eu it is only going to escalate .

Quote Originally Posted by Redwrex5 View Post
    I'll be voting to leave because of the immigration issue, i.e. How long the long the wait is in the local under pressure a+e department when a large number are Eastern Europeans . Also the fact that there are local factories where I would feel out of place and in the minority working. And whilst in the eu it is only going to escalate .
    Yes but who will fix you plumbing?
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Voting leave doesn't mean we can't have immigration. It just means we get the choice. We can vote for a government whose policies we agree with, and also vote them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Big Ears View Post
    Voting leave doesn't mean we can't have immigration. It just means we get the choice. We can vote for a government whose policies we agree with, and also vote them out.
    Actually the biggest growth in immigration according to a recent broadcast on Radio 4 is coming from countries outside the EU.

We can control that, but currently don't (as it suits general Tory policy).

Anybody who thinks that voting leave is going to end immigration and bring back 1940's British ethnic mix is kidding themselves.

Actually the biggest growth in immigration according to a recent broadcast on Radio 4 is coming from countries outside the EU.

Anybody who thinks that voting leave is going to end immigration and bring back 1940's British ethnic mix is kidding themselves.
    I agree, but it is not right to put the matter out of our control. The Tories and fat cats are more than happy to have mass immigration, raising the wealth of the country but at the same time driving down wages and living standards for the average working class person.

Labour should be protecting the labour force of this country and in my opinion Corbyn has been badly advised. He has taken a back seat hoping the Tories damage themselves with in-fighting. Instead he should be sticking to his widely reported long-held principals and back the leave campaign. He would have then won the next general election.

I'm surprised people having been stating that more often. All you have to do is look at the programmes about Calais or read articles on immigration and you see that most of the people wanting to come into the UK are African or Asian. Being in the EU will have no bearing on that at all.

Immigration is a massive problem for most developed countries...look at Trump and his wall, Australia pays other countries to put migrants in camps (Nauru island gets a considerable income from Australia to house migrants). Will being out of the EU make it all go away? I doubt it.