Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Presidential Election

US Presidential Election

Two fairly unlikeable candidates going forward this year.

But surely there are not enough disillusioned people out there to vote in Trump. Getting into a spat with the parents of a "fallen hero" is a big no no in US politics.

Then there are the repeated lies. He exaggerates the truth and just makes other stuff up.

If the Democratic candidate was a decent, likeable person, it would be a landslide victory but with Clinton, there's still that doubt that Trump could do it.

Why do people dislike Hilary?

I'm just curious. I mean, I dislike her too but then again I dislike most people. Just wondering what it is for everyone else. She seems like a fairly normal politician to me.

I can't see Trump winning but they really are giving him the best chance possible. Find it annoying when movie stars denounce him (seems like one a week) - do they not realise they are just adding fuel to the anti-establishment fire? Would rather they just fucking ignored him to be honest.

John Oliver's coverage of the conventions was funny stuff.

• She's part of the political establishment, which people have turned against.
    • She became a multi-millionaire by giving talks, seminars to the big banks, so she is seen to be in Wall Streets pocket.
    • There is a personal email server controversy, which I think is blown out of proportion. Colin Powell used send emails from an AOL account!!
    • Benghazi - again I think this is political point scoring.

For me, she wouldn't represent what I am looking for in an elected official. I want someone who lives in the real world, not someone who has been a part of the top 1% for the last 20 years, who doesn't understand real people's problems.

The alternative, Trump, living in his gold penthouse apartment on 5th Avenue is even worse!!

Yes, but Trump will at least be fun to watch.

Think she'll make a decent president.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Steven - Dublin View Post
    For me, she wouldn't represent what I am looking for in an elected official. I want someone who lives in the real world, not someone who has been a part of the top 1% for the last 20 years, who doesn't understand real people's problems.
    Ah right, yeah. As I suspected then, she's nothing special...

Good to see how many people came out to support Corbyn in Liverpool. Just as an aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven - Dublin View Post
    • She's part of the political establishment, which people have turned against.
    • She became a multi-millionaire by giving talks, seminars to the big banks, so she is seen to be in Wall Streets pocket.
    • There is a personal email server controversy, which I think is blown out of proportion. Colin Powell used send emails from an AOL account!!
    • Benghazi - again I think this is political point scoring.

The alternative, Trump, living in his gold penthouse apartment on 5th Avenue is even worse!!
    Unfortunately any elected official in any western government who is likely capable of making any change is not 'one of us.'

And herein lies the issue with modern politics.

Christ almighty, in America you can't even state you don't believe in God without the death-knell sounding for your political career. No pun intended.
    "Feelings are not supposed to be logical. Dangerous is the man who has rationalized his emotions".

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Yes, but Trump will at least be fun to watch.

Think she'll make a decent president.
    There's reports now that Trump's missus was working in the US illegally. She says she used to have to fly home every few months and fly back to the US. This doesn't tally with the type of visa she claimed to have, which would have allowed her to work in the US for 6 years. Experts say it sounds like she was just on a tourist visa, which would have excluded her from working in the US. She was working as a model at the time.

Trump married an illegal immigrant. Lock them up!!

He seems to have a thing for Eastern Block babes. Can't fault him really.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Allegations of how she has earned her recent wealth seem to have balloned recently around clinton.the fact that trump is even in the running is scary beyond belief and surely nails that American dream bullshit.once and for all.when.ombama got in.there seemed to.a huge amount of optimism but almost from day 1 he has never really seemed to be in.control.I'm.guessing its the.big.shots in the background who really call the shots.much like her I.suppose.
    Way I hear it, Soze some kind of butcher.

Yeah, she does seem the more convenient candidate in a way.

American dream's been dead for a century now - the country looks to be as much an oligarchy as Russia.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non