Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Best team we've had since the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post
    It's actually not. List them out, side by side. Coutinho is probably the only one from the current starting 11, who'd go in to the 08/09 team, in place of Riera.
    Reina > Karius

Arbeloa < Clyne
    Sami ? Matip (not been here long enough to judje
    Carra > Lovren
    Aurelio > Milner

Mascherano > Hendo
    Alonso > Wijnaldum
    Kuyt/Benayoun < Mane
    Gerrard > Lallana
    Riera/Babel < Coutinho

Torres > Bobby

Think it's pretty clear myself - player for player the old team is better. However, this doesn't take into account the different systems the two set-ups employ.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

I don't agree with Arbeloa < Clyne. He went on to have 6 very good seasons at Madrid, after leaving LFC. A vastly underrated player by a lot of our fans.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

On the basis Sami was better that Carragher and better than any of the current lot, how's it too soon to judge.

We don't have to win something to be a great side but this isn't the best side since the 80's. Not yet.

Evans had some great players and played some fantastic football. The 08/09 was pretty much better man for man. The attacking line up of Brenty's side would still walk into this team. Suarez would walk into any to be fair.

This thread highlights the fickleness, forgetfulness and boneheadedness of football fans in the modern era.

They could be the best team, in time. A much more interesting question is, do we have the best manager we've had since the 80's?

Good post.

If I was picking between Rafa till now I'd go

Reina
    Clyne Matip Hyypia Milner
    Mascherano Alonso
    Mane Gerrard(Rafa) Coutinho
    Suarez (Torres if just Rafa v Klopp).

Few harsh calls Carra , Studge 13/14, full backs though I really like our current 2, Kuyt. Very early days for lb milner, Matip & Mane.

08/09 a better team player for player.
    16/17 a better squad depth given no Europe.

Do any agree that our current team/squad is better placed in the pack. Given the 08/09 pl was a higher standard generally?

We're a worse team and better squad , in a league of weaker top teams generally.

Who exactly are the players, which make this such a strong squad, compared to other squads in the past?

Our last game, the bench was: Sturridge, Grujic, Klavan, Moreno, Lucas, Mignolet and Origi.

Granted Lallana was out injured, so you can probably add Can to that list.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Who exactly are the players, which make this such a strong squad, compared to other squads in the past?

Our last game, the bench was: Sturridge, Grujic, Klavan, Moreno, Lucas, Mignolet and Origi.

Granted Lallana was out injured, so you can probably add Can to that list.
    Without Europe i think the squad is better placed relatively for the season. Particularly on the goalscoring front.

You've caught me on a whopper/hunch.
    What was Rafa's last bench? Or that season, again European consideration.

Say
    Gk, agger, Lucas, babbel, ngog, yossi, Keane for a while

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Without Europe i think the squad is better placed relatively for the season. Particularly on the goalscoring front.

You've caught me on a whopper/hunch.
    What was Rafa's last bench? Or that season, again European consideration.
    It had it's fair share of holes too, with players like El Zhar, Aquilani, Kyrgiakos, etc. There were a couple who were decent, Benayoun, Babel (when he wasn't rapping) and N'Gog did an ok job, of covering for Torres.

That's kind of missing the point though. This thread, is proclaiming this team, the best since the 80s. So you'd need to go through all the squads since then.

In general, fans seem to be getting carried away, with what's only a good start to the season, at this point. Calls for common sense and caution are duly ignored and replaced by grandiose ideas.

It had it's fair share of holes too, with players like El Zhar, Aquilani, Kyrgiakos, etc. There were a couple who were decent, Benayoun, Babel (when he wasn't rapping) and N'Gog did an ok job, of covering for Torres.

That's kind of missing the point though. This thread, is proclaiming this team, the best since the 80s. So you'd need to go through all the squads since then.

In general, fans seem to be getting carried away, with what's only a good start to the season, at this point. Calls for common sense and caution are duly ignored and replaced by grandiose ideas.
    Rafas benches looked very different to Jose's cfc sides but finances played their part there no doubt. While finances still play there part better now than for Rafa.
    I think the 08/09 was a better team.
    I think at that time the top teams standard was higher quality & character wise than today.

People will get excited when you play exciting football. Early doors in the season the points gaps even back to manu is nothing really.
    The excitement level is somewhat justified by the additions/restructuring Klopp has made over the summer.
    Matip been excellent. Milner at lb is better than Milner last season and as good if not better than Clyne this season.
    Wiji & Mane been really great so far.

My cause for excitement outside of Klopp and his stewardship to date is; i dont think we're much worse off if at all than the rest.
    We mightn't have the best team or squad in the league but the margins are far less.