Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Best team we've had since the 80's

Excitement, optimism and an appreciation of what Klopp has done so far, are all perfectly understandable. No one is doubting the improvements that have been made and some of the football is breath taking, at times.

It's the wild claims about how good the current side is that I don't find particularly useful. But each to their own.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post
    Excitement, optimism and an appreciation of what Klopp has done so far, are all perfectly understandable. No one is doubting the improvements that have been made and some of the football is breath taking, at times.

It's the wild claims about how good the current side is that I don't find particularly useful. But each to their own.
    Fair enough, i don't think this side is the best since the 80s either, but can really only start from fowler on as a young teen and that was a pre-internet/streaming era.

I'm really happy with where we are now too, with the improvements under Klopp of players like lallana/can/bobby/origi/even hendo off last season here already, the summer additions which have been as good and better than expected and the number of quality options/goals in attacking areas.
    Compared to 1 year ago its outstanding

Out of interest who do you rate as the best 11/team in the pl , best squad, and how far off are we?

In the areas of front 3s, front four options, i don't see big gulf.
    Bit light of options at the back, butt don't see any major quality difference or disadvantage to others.
    Gk Migs finally no2, Karius hopefully the heir, but we are behind somewhat here.
    Our Midfield seems to lack the named pedigree of our rivals , but are doing a great job.

Looking at all the sides around us i just don't see a clear gulf.
    It's a free world, in parts...

Heres links for the top 4 off transfermarkt. the euro and sterling different values muddle it a bit.
    This gives market values not transfer fees. I'll list average value and age of the starting eleven (its handy)
    Full squad list and few more details there.

Liverpool: MV Starting eleven : 22,36 Mill. € - -Age: 25,7 Years
    http://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-liverpool/startseite/verein/31

Chelsea: MV Starting eleven : 28,73 Mill. € - -Age: 27,4 Years
    http://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-chelsea/startseite/verein/631

City: -MV Starting eleven : 24.65m - -Age: 29,9 Years
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-city/startseite/verein/281

Arsenal: -MV Starting eleven : 20.98m - -Age: 27,8 Years
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/arsenal-fc/startseite/verein/11
    It's a free world, in parts...

I don't agree with Arbeloa < Clyne. He went on to have 6 very good seasons at Madrid, after leaving LFC. A vastly underrated player by a lot of our fans.
    Was on the fence about them two. Feel Clyne is pacy-er and offers just as much solidity at the back.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

It's actually not. List them out, side by side. Coutinho is probably the only one from the current starting 11, who'd go in to the 08/09 team, in place of Riera.
    I'm not disputing that. Add firminho and Clyne in and you'd be spot on.

The difficulty is the overall difficult comparison taking into account both qualitee of players and style of play used.

Arbeloa was "great for us" A few good seasons in Madrid being starting right back, but nothing spectacular. Clyne overall is a better right back in my opinion.

More Christmas shopping from Southampton this season me thinks.

12 months ago a lot were saying this was the worst team since the 80's !!!
    How times chance plus Jurgen has made a huge difference to players bought by the previous manager.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    12 months ago a lot were saying this was the worst team since the 80's !!!
    Show's how giddy a few wins make some people.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    I'm not disputing that. Add firminho and Clyne in and you'd be spot on.

The difficulty is the overall difficult comparison taking into account both qualitee of players and style of play used.

Arbeloa was "great for us" A few good seasons in Madrid being starting right back, but nothing spectacular. Clyne overall is a better right back in my opinion.

More Christmas shopping from Southampton this season me thinks.
    Agree with the gist of what you're saying but not having the bit in bold. You don't spend 6 seasons as a first choice Madrid player, without being pretty damned good. You're just dismissing that, as if it's irrelevant.

Clyne is pretty solid and fits our side well. He's turned out to be a decent signing and may well get better but he hasn't done anything yet, in his carreer, to prove that he's in any way better than Arbeloa.

Right now, this entire thread has the "Suso will be a double Ballon d'Or winner" feel about it.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Agree with your last sentence.

As for Arbeloa vs Clyne - he wasn't first choice at Madrid for six seasons: His La Liga appearance count is as follows: 30, 26, 26, 25, 18, 22, 6. Would say he was clear first choice for only of those and very close to being first choice for another four with two more of him being a squad player. Now injuries may have played a role there, but I'm too lazy to look it up. And I'm not sure we're dismissing that - you yourself have noted that Clyne has loads of time to improve, seeing as he's 25 now and Arbeloa joined RM at 26. Don't think anyone is disputing the Spaniard has had a better career.

Is there any phase of the game where you'd say he was definitely better? Clyne imo is quicker than him for example.

Hmm, Arbeloa might have had somewhat better positioning come to think of it.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

The Arbeloa vs Clyne discussion isn't really that interesting. It's just the nature of it, that highlights everything that is wrong with this thread. Let's ignore what Arbeloa has done and just declare Clyne better, based on absolutely **** all.