Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 318

Thread: Best team we've had since the 80's

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    18,235
    Not really sat and thought about this yet but re your last question BRC, can't remember a back up keeper as good as Mig, or a group of outfield players who aren't guaranteed a start as good as Sturridge, Origi and Wijnaldum (or Can). You can add Lovren to that if Father Christmas brings me the one January transfer I really want in Van Dijk.
    It is as good a first 11 going forward as any I can remember since the last title winners but our defence is not yet right and to be honest, neither is the midfield... yet.
    Every confidence Klopp will get us there though.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    17,298
    Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Not really sat and thought about this yet but re your last question BRC, can't remember a back up keeper as good as Mig, or a group of outfield players who aren't guaranteed a start as good as Sturridge, Origi and Wijnaldum (or Can). You can add Lovren to that if Father Christmas brings me the one January transfer I really want in Van Dijk.
    It is as good a first 11 going forward as any I can remember since the last title winners but our defence is not yet right and to be honest, neither is the midfield... yet.
    Every confidence Klopp will get us there though.
    Well, that would be an interesting topic to discuss but it's not what this thread is about. No, this thread is declaring the current team, the best since the 80s, after 12 league games. Lunacy but there you have it.

    To your point about the squad, Mig, Origi, Can, Lovren ... you think any team on the planet is terribly worried about those coming off the bench?
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Khazad-dm
    Posts
    10,888
    I'd wager Dortmund would be shitting themselves at the thought of Origi.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    8,771
    The drop off in quality from first 11 is not as stark these days,but there's a reason for that.Even amongst the first 11 the quality is more evenly spread,again due to having no real superstars, and few if any,really weak links.
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king!

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,945
    We've had better teams on paper by a long shot, but this unit works well together. Everyone playing in a strong position for themselves (even Milner), so no square pegs. However the 13/14 team until the last 3 games was out of this world good. You could put money on Sturridge and Suarez scoring every game at point one

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    We've had better teams on paper by a long shot, but this unit works well together. Everyone playing in a strong position for themselves (even Milner), so no square pegs. However the 13/14 team until the last 3 games was out of this world good. You could put money on Sturridge and Suarez scoring every game at point one
    Once again, I think that has more to do with Suarez more than anything.

    He's out of this league
    Last edited by Kev0909; 24th November 2016 at 07:54 PM.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post
    You are wrong. Simple as that. Klopp is in the early stages of building out his vision for LFC. He may end up with the best team since the 80s but he's not there yet. Not even close. I'm not going to argue that point any more though

    .
    Although you haven't really argued the point thus far, as Dids just pointed out - it's not about individual comparisons. So who are you to insist this isn't the best team we've had since Kenny? I agree with him. Anyone with a bit of heart will be believing in Klopp now. The fact that he has more building to do only adds to the optimism. This team is something special. Doesn't even matter if things go wrong from here - it's hard to ask for anything more.
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    6,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Although you haven't really argued the point thus far, as Dids just pointed out - it's not about individual comparisons. So who are you to insist this isn't the best team we've had since Kenny? I agree with him. Anyone with a bit of heart will be believing in Klopp now. The fact that he has more building to do only adds to the optimism. This team is something special. Doesn't even matter if things go wrong from here - it's hard to ask for anything more.
    This team (or squad) will only be something special when it wins a title or a few cups, if it doesnt it will only go down in memory the same way the others have done since we were last successful. It DOES matter if things go wrong from here.
    If football was meant to be played in the air, god would have put grass in the sky.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    17,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Although you haven't really argued the point thus far, as Dids just pointed out - it's not about individual comparisons. So who are you to insist this isn't the best team we've had since Kenny? I agree with him. Anyone with a bit of heart will be believing in Klopp now. The fact that he has more building to do only adds to the optimism. This team is something special. Doesn't even matter if things go wrong from here - it's hard to ask for anything more.
    What has optimism and believing in Klopp got to do with assessing the current team, against previous ones?
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    17,298
    Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    This team (or squad) will only be something special when it wins a title or a few cups, if it doesnt it will only go down in memory the same way the others have done since we were last successful. It DOES matter if things go wrong from here.
    Precisely. That's separating sentiment from reality, right there.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th September 2016, 05:10 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd September 2016, 06:30 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th September 2016, 11:10 PM
  4. Euro 2016 final: Team A vs Team B match thread
    By Wembley 86 in forum Football Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 15th June 2016, 01:16 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •