Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: Best team we've had since the 80's

well it'll be amazing if we won something this season, considering how much teams have to spend and how klopp hasn't had that many transfer windows yet, even so it's a good start.

Rome wasn't built in a day..

We're getting ahead of ourselves, but each one of us would probably be even happy with top4 this season before it started, never mind winning the league etc.

I still think we're doing very good with the squad we have, We're still missing a top scorer in my eyes, aswell as some more quality in midfield, as good as milner is doing he's still not even a LB.

For once in a long time, there's a reason to be optimistic don't take that away! we have a good young squad too, keep hold of the players we're onto something, mind you even if we lost someone like coutinho i'd have trust in klopp to replace him well, the good thing is we're not over reliant on 1 player.

Meanwhile if you think we're going to go downhill and not play aswell, well just enjoy it while it lasts, no point thinking ahead... take it game by game I say, that's for the optimistics and the pessimistics
    Last edited by Kev0909; 24th November 2016 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    well it'll be amazing if we won something this season, considering how much teams have to spend and how klopp hasn't had that many transfer windows yet, even so it's a good start.

Rome wasn't built in a day..

We're getting ahead of ourselves, but each one of us would probably be even happy with top4 this season before it started, never mind winning the league etc.

I still think we're doing very good with the squad we have, We're still missing a top scorer in my eyes, aswell as some more quality in midfield, as good as milner is doing he's still not even a LB.

For once in a long time, there's a reason to be optimistic don't take that away!
    If you're one of the people who believe this is the best team since the 80s (and you are), it won't be amazing at all. How could it be the best team since the 80s and not win anything? Talk sense man!
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post
    If you're one of the people who believe this is the best team since the 80s (and you are), it won't be amazing at all. How could it be the best team since the 80s and not win anything? Talk sense man!
    I'm not old enough to remember the 80's as i was born in 92 so i'm not agreeing with anything really, how strong was the other teams/managers compared to now? I don't think realistically you can even compare them when it's so far apart.

I suppose I should leave the thread now, but it's good to be optimistic for a change. this season looks like it'll be very close and competitive though between the top 5.. all the clubs have quality managers, and players and I wouldn't even right utd off yet.

In my lifetime this is probably the most exciting football i've seen us play apart from that season with rodgers thanks to suarez , before that was rafa but that wasn't as exciting but Gerrard-Torres what a combination.

This threads a bit silly but yeah exciting times.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 24th November 2016 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    I'm not old enough to remember the 80's as i was born in 92 so i'm not agreeing with anything really, how strong was the other teams/managers compared to now? I don't think realistically you can even compare them when it's so far apart.
    Until Hodgson, all the other managers operated under the expectation that we'd be competing for (and winning) the league title. Being 2nd after 12 games wasn't anything to piss your pants about, back then.

If we go on and win the title this season, the OP will have a very valid argument. That would require the team maintaining, or most likely improving upon, their current form for the full season. However, if they don't, this thread will be exposed as a load of utter shite.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Just thought I'd add a bit more context, to the discussion. Not so long ago, I witnessed a Liverpool team humiliate both Real Madrid and Man Utd, in the same week.

Read that last sentence back again, before continuing with the mantra that the current team, is the best since the 80s.

Now, the Utd team had Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez all starting, with Giggs, Scholes and Berbatov all coming on as subs. The Madrid team was: Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro (Van der Vaart 64), Pepe, Heinze, Robben (Marcelo 46), Lassana Diarra, Gago (Guti 77), Sneijder, Raul, Higuain.

That was the best Liverpool team I've seen since the 80s:

Reina, Arbeloa, Carra, Agger, Aurelio, Alonso, Mascherano, Kuyt, Riera, Gerrard, Torres

Awesome.

Others will have their own ideas and favourites. For example, here's the LFC team that started, when Fowler scored the fastest PL hat-rick against Arsenal (and their famous back 4) in 1994...

James, Jones, Nicol, Bjornebye, Ruddock, Barnes, Molby, Redknapp, McManaman, Fowler, Rush.

Another example might be the great attacking team of 13/14. Suarez was the best player I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt (that's not Liverpool's best ever player btw). This is probably the best team we could have started that season:

Mignolet, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Flannagan, Gerrard, Coutinho, Henderson, Sterling, Sturridge, Suarez.

That's a small sample of previous teams.

So, yes the current team is playing well. They do work hard for each other. Klopp is doing a fantastic job, etc. etc. etc. Still doesn't mean the current lot are better than many of the teams we've had in the past.

Reina, Arbeloa, Carra, Agger, Aurelio, Alonso, Mascherano, Kuyt, Riera, Gerrard, Torres

Awesome.
    Some team that. I genuinely believe at that point in time we were the best club team in the world. Only thing I didn't really like was Riera and wasn't a huge fan of Aurelio's.

Others will have their own ideas and favourites. For example, here's the LFC team that started, when Fowler scored the fastest PL hat-rick against Arsenal (and their famous back 4) in 1994...
    Not to be nitpicky, but isn't Mane the holder of that title now?
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

What has optimism and believing in Klopp got to do with assessing the current team, against previous ones?
    Why, it's essential. If you think this team is the best since the 80's, then you are optimistic it has what it takes to be successful. You have come to that position based on the evidence in front of you and you don't fanny about with comparisons between Phil Babb and Nathaniel Clyne or whoever it is you think might change that position.
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Some team that. I genuinely believe at that point in time we were the best club team in the world. Only thing I didn't really like was Riera and wasn't a huge fan of Aurelio's.
    Aurelio was pure class. Riera was the compromise in that team

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Not to be nitpicky, but isn't Mane the holder of that title now?
    He is now. Fowler's was the fastest at the time (94).
    Last edited by TheBigRC; 24th November 2016 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Why, it's essential. If you think this team is the best since the 80's, then you are optimistic it has what it takes to be successful. You have come to that position based on the evidence in front of you and you don't fanny about with comparisons between Phil Babb and Nathaniel Clyne or whoever it is you think might change that position.
    Sometimes, you just can't believe the things you read. Exhibit A ^.

Sometimes, you just can't believe the things you read. Exhibit A ^.
    So do you believe this is the best team since the 80's or not?
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now