Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Best team we've had since the 80's

I do agree, the team you posted.... didn't get the best midfield in the world song from nowhere!

What a midfield we had! must of generally been one of the best midfields around

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post
    If you're one of the people who believe this is the best team since the 80s (and you are), it won't be amazing at all. How could it be the best team since the 80s and not win anything? Talk sense man!
    Rafa s cl winning side better than the 08/09 side so

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Rafa s cl winning side better than the 08/09 side so
    You need to be able to distinguish between a great achievement and a great team.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

This season so far we've seen some excellent football. It's only 12 games in and we are 1 point off top. We had one of our best starts to the league with tougher fixtures. So far it's all good a 75% win rate.

The depth of the squad or the first line replacements are pretty good bar the fullback position. But touch wood they both continue their fine health records and performances.

Goals win games, and you need quality forwards to score.

Sturridge and Origi are on the bench.
    Sturridge or Origi compared with Moses, Aspas, ngog babbel, that Ukrainian fella, Robbie Keane at best.
    I'd have Origi or Sturridge over any of them.
    That can't be underestimated in the strength of a team/squad.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post
    You need to be able to distinguish between a great achievement and a great team.
    I agree with this statement, but it contradicts the bit I had quoted.

It shows there are a few criteria and ways
    to draw conclusions. Manager, players, style of play, depth, dynamics within the side, the sum being greater than the parts......
    08/09 is the best team for me.

However those saying this is the best team are entitled to their view.
    A bench of : Migs, Moreno, Klavan, Lucas, Wijnaldum, Sturridge, Origi.
    Looks good to me without European football. Sadly Ings has been injured again.

The team work is second to none last I heard. Distance/sprints.
    Some say its not possible to do it for a whole season, but without European football I think we can maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Although you haven't really argued the point thus far, as Dids just pointed out - it's not about individual comparisons. So who are you to insist this isn't the best team we've had since Kenny? I agree with him. Anyone with a bit of heart will be believing in Klopp now. The fact that he has more building to do only adds to the optimism. This team is something special. Doesn't even matter if things go wrong from here - it's hard to ask for anything more.
    What a load of bollocks!...This team WILL be something special WHEN they win a league title until then let's wait and see eh?...Some on here remind me of Utd fans back in the 80's getting excited and carried away by being top or near to it a 3rd or so into the season...LONG way to go yet and the signs are good I admit but c'mon this team has won fook all yet..
    Last edited by Martyboy; 24th November 2016 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I agree with this statement, but it contradicts the bit I had quoted.

It shows there are a few criteria and ways
    to draw conclusions. Manager, players, style of play, depth, dynamics within the side, the sum being greater than the parts......
    08/09 is the best team for me.

However those saying this is the best team are entitled to their view.
    A bench of : Migs, Moreno, Klavan, Lucas, Wijnaldum, Sturridge, Origi.
    Looks good to me without European football. Sadly Ings has been injured again.

The team work is second to none last I heard. Distance/sprints.
    Some say its not possible to do it for a whole season, but without European football I think we can maintain it.
    It doesn't contradict anything I wrote. If this team is truly the best since the 80s, then it's better than two excellent teams that finished 2nd in the league. Exactly how do you prove this team is better, if it doesn't win the title?

How shall we measure that? We need something a bit more tangible than the optimism level floating around the place.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Maybe finishing a closer second? Though I'm not sure you can get much closer.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

I am the best contributor on this site since slice bread!! ..
    Leader of all..master of none..

Not the best team we've had. Most promising at this stage of development maybe. But far from best yet.