Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast

Thread: Best team we've had since the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by Martyboy View Post
    What a load of bollocks!...This team WILL be something special WHEN they win a league title until then let's wait and see eh?...Some on here remind me of Utd fans back in the 80's getting excited and carried away by being top or near to it a 3rd or so into the season...LONG way to go yet and the signs are good I admit but c'mon this team has won fook all yet..
    You're missing the point, Martyboy. Everyone knows they haven't won the league. Everyone can be cautious and pessimistic. But the question was whether you agreed that they are the best we've seen since the glory days.
    Things can go wrong - change of owners, injury crisis, one of our greatest ever players slips on the ball at a crucial moment, we've even had two managers who had serious heart conditions. But that doesn't change the fact in question - this is either the best team since the 80's or it isn't. Either we have an ability to perceive that fact or no judgement is valid until all the results are in. In which case, perceptions and feelings are immaterial and all that counts is internet warriors saving face come the end of the season. Never mind the people who go the game and actually help lift the team with all that naive optimism. If you notice, Klopp actually thinks that is important - he wants to get the crowd involved, but he also wants to give them something real to believe in as his half of the bargain. He's not doing that because it appeals to his aesthetic sense, he'd doing that because he wants to build optimism in everyone at the club. It's part of his plan.
    But if you buy into that you're an idiot according to some on here. Who's right?
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    You're missing the point, Martyboy. Everyone knows they haven't won the league. Everyone can be cautious and pessimistic. But the question was whether you agreed that they are the best we've seen since the glory days.
    Things can go wrong - change of owners, injury crisis, one of our greatest ever players slips on the ball at a crucial moment, we've even had two managers who had serious heart conditions. But that doesn't change the fact in question - this is either the best team since the 80's or it isn't. Either we have an ability to perceive that fact or no judgement is valid until all the results are in. In which case, perceptions and feelings are immaterial and all that counts is internet warriors saving face come the end of the season. Never mind the people who go the game and actually help lift the team with all that naive optimism. If you notice, Klopp actually thinks that is important - he wants to get the crowd involved, but he also wants to give them something real to believe in as his half of the bargain. He's not doing that because it appeals to his aesthetic sense, he'd doing that because he wants to build optimism in everyone at the club. It's part of his plan.
    But if you buy into that you're an idiot according to some on here. Who's right?
    The answer for me is No,think Rafa's 08/09 side with Gerrard in his pomp despite winning feck all still is the best side we've had since the glory days...

We won the league in 1990 yet that team, club, manager and fans were cracking up, so winning the league doesn't really come into the equation, for me the 2001 team was better than both of the teams that reached second place in the league but this team is better than all three. it looks a complete unit, one were the mass is greater than the individual parts. A bit like a Bob Paisley team,, I haven't seen a team since the 80's with so much hunger and desire to win games or one with such a good work rate and organised so well. They do everything right. Every player looks full of confidence and they look like they believe they can do it, I don;t think you can say that about the BR team that bottled the league.

As for players being better or worse than the players in those teams, i don't see how it matters, its a team game, its the strength of the team that counts,,, J Jones was a very limited left back yet was part of a great team and he is a true Liverpool legend so if it was just down to how individuals preform then that team shouldn't really have won anything. yet it dominated Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post
    Which squad players make this the best one, since 1990?
    Sorry for the late reply!

If you compare our bench now to the great 09 team: in '09 we had Benayoun as our only great backup player, with Lucas and an aged Hyypia as very good, if limited by pace, backup. We also had Dossena, Philip Degen, Ngog, Voronin, Pennant, Robbie Keane, etc, i.e. guff players.

In 13/14 you know who we had on the bench.

As for now: Sakho (he's still here), Klavan, Lucas, Moreno, Can or Wijnaldum, Origi, and Sturridge are all very good/ exceptional players. Also, we have great young talent in Ejaria, Ojo, Gomez, TAA and Grujic, along with the consistently good Kev Stewart, and others I'm sure I've forgotten. That's deeper than Barry White with a sore throat, in comparison with the others. Our 'B' team could be:

Mignolet

Gomez Klavan Lucas Moreno

Ejaria Stewart Can Ojo

Origi Sturridge

Subs: Ward, Sakho, TAA, Grujic, Woodburn, Wilson, Brannagan

That's a good team, imo

Quote Originally Posted by TorbenPiechnik View Post
    Sorry for the late reply!

If you compare our bench now to the great 09 team: in '09 we had Benayoun as our only great backup player, with Lucas and an aged Hyypia as very good, if limited by pace, backup. We also had Dossena, Philip Degen, Ngog, Voronin, Pennant, Robbie Keane, etc, i.e. guff players.

In 13/14 you know who we had on the bench.

As for now: Sakho (he's still here), Klavan, Lucas, Moreno, Can or Wijnaldum, Origi, and Sturridge are all very good/ exceptional players. Also, we have great young talent in Ejaria, Ojo, Gomez, TAA and Grujic, along with the consistently good Kev Stewart, and others I'm sure I've forgotten. That's deeper than Barry White with a sore throat, in comparison with the others. Our 'B' team could be:

Mignolet

Gomez Klavan Lucas Moreno

Ejaria Stewart Can Ojo

Origi Sturridge

Subs: Ward, Sakho, TAA, Grujic, Woodburn, Wilson, Brannagan

That's a good team, imo
    Ya the midfield is a bit inexperienced , but it'd give a fair few teams a game, can't discount a b-team with the Big Div and Sturridge as a 2.
    It's a free world, in parts...

This thread has gone a bit quiet recently.

Bump.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I am the best contributor on this site since slice bread!! ..
    *sliced.

Forget this thread, reading the match one yesterday I'm surprised there isn't a 'Klopp Out' one.

#forumfullofzebedees

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post
    This thread has gone a bit quiet recently.

Bump.
    Aint it just!...Best side since the 80's my a.r.s.e.!....

Definitely the strongest we've had in a while in regards to depth. I'd still say the Rafa runners up team was stronger however.

Having only been a glimmer in my old mans eye, I wouldn't be able to give an authoritative opinion on the 70-80s sides, other than the fact that we're pissing in the wind trying to compare any modern squad to them.