Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate the last film you watched

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lad View Post
    Schindler's List, with someone who had never seen it.

A particularly fucking savage piece of art. Startling to read how much of it is true, such as Amon's random, frequent executions and the fact that Oskar's factory barely produced any usable artillery shells while still keeping his workers alive.

I still haven't seen Seven Samurai. This week, maybe...
    Watched this a few years back on tv for the first time....it's good but LONG!...The western derivative 'The Magnificent Seven' has been my fave film since childhood in the 70's....Yul Brynner,Steve McQueen,Charlie Bronson and Co kicking the butts of Mexican bandidos etc..The music by Elmer Bernstein being a muso of sorts still tingles the back of my neck...Wunderbar meine herren!...
    Last edited by Martyboy; 7th January 2017 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by red4life86 View Post
    Not a film so I'm breaking the rules. Which in this particular franchise would get me killed.

Scream, the TV series.

Just binge watched almost 1 and a quarter series in 3 days.

It's mainly guff but bizarrely at the end of each episode you just want to watch the next one.

I can't rate it. It's at least 2/10 for the acting, which you become numb to by the 5th episode. Probably 4/10 for the story including the whodunnit reveal by the end of series 1. There's not even that much gore. I would have to give it 9/10 for watchability but then definitely couldn't watch it again so that makes no sense.

It's a time wasting, sleep stealing conundrum. Of which I have no doubt I'll finish the other 11 episodes of by Sunday.

I'd recommend it to anyone but would come unstuck when pressed as to why.
    Found season 2 predictable. It's all worth watching but just as daft as the films tended to be.

Watched Ben Hur 2016 at weekend. Very cheesy and not as gritty as original but 2 hours shorter and some of the action was great particularly in the galleys at sea and the chariot race. 7/10 better than expected.

Passengers. Really liked it. Great dilemmas posed. I'd have done far worse in that situation. Wanted to be in his shoes. 9/10

Jack Reacher. Read all the books. First film average. This one was awful. Poor choice to make into a movie compared with most other books. And still maintain tom cruise is worst possible choice to play Jack. . Bored was on this forum browsing and on bet365 by halfway. 3/10

The Big Short.

It was decent. Still don't have a fucking clue what happened there, though. Anyone? O.o

Revisited a couple of classics to see if they hold up from when I last watched them 20+ years ago:

The Producers (1967)

I remember watching this in the 90's and finding the whole premise completely entertaining. A broadway show... about Hitler!

Got to say I found this viewing a little boring and tedious. I mean the premise is still a great idea, but there was very little else except for a hilariously flamboyant guy (LSD) playing Hitler. I guess I'm now just oversaturated with imitation humour. Comedians parody famous leaders and celebrities all the time so I just found it all much more "Meh".

6/10

Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)

I must have seen a TV version of this when I was young because F*ck me there's F*cking way more F*cking swearing in this F*cking film than I F*cking remember.

It's still hilarious and John Candy is exceptionally subtle as the broken-yet-optimistic try-hard who for some reason seems doomed to failure, yet can still smile and mask all the hurt. It's such a deep character that is wrapped up in this plucky fat guy exterior. Masterful execution.

Steve Martin playing the 'bad guy' always works for me. He has a snarl to his expression which works perfectly with his dark sarcastic humour.

The scene with the trucks still makes me laugh out loud. Just the whole 'why?' of it all. The idea is fantastic.

Loved it then, loved it now.

8.5/10
     Denk Anders

So no one watched rogue one over the Christmas then. Wtf

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    So no one watched rogue one over the Christmas then. Wtf
    I did

Din't really think to mention it on here (which is odd considering all the TFA furore), but I thought it was really good. Great characters, another amazing robot character, fantastically paced and acted.

Just a really enjoyable Star Wars Story with absolutely nothing resembling the 'Prequels' apart from some returning characters, locations and vehicles. Everything was handled really tastefully and there's easter-eggs aplenty. I noticed some but looking at some Youtube clips there's tonnes more.

8/10

On a side note. Star Wars The Last Jedi. Fücking boss title!
     Denk Anders

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    I did

Din't really think to mention it on here (which is odd considering all the TFA furore), but I thought it was really good. Great characters, another amazing robot character, fantastically paced and acted.

Just a really enjoyable Star Wars Story with absolutely nothing resembling the 'Prequels' apart from some returning characters, locations and vehicles. Everything was handled really tastefully and there's easter-eggs aplenty. I noticed some but looking at some Youtube clips there's tonnes more.

8/10

On a side note. Star Wars The Last Jedi. Fücking boss title!
    Except for the first 10 or. 15 minutes with all the tedious planet hopping it's an absolute blast of a movie. Great in from start to finish. Brought my son to it and he can have a short attention span but he was glued to it the whole way through. That last scene with Vader was just class. I'm loving these first couple of Disney attempts. The last Jedi is going to be unreal judging by whats come so far.

I liked it too, but not as much as TFA.

Think Jyn wasn't as likeable as Rey. Thoroughly enjoyed most of the other characters though and the soundtrack was quite nice.

Think the new locations were pretty cool as well and CGI Tarkin was a sight to behold (at times). Leia was... weird.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

La La Land

One of the most overrated films in years, how this got so many Oscar noms, especially both leading roles is a joke.

4/10.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."