Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump

Well they kind of do though - look at all the rapes in Germany last New Years'. Think we should be aiming for a better screening process and not letting too many in to handle. Over here the Krauts don't seem too happy with the current situation and Merkel's head is on the chopping block for letting so many in.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Well they kind of do though - look at all the rapes in Germany last New Years'.
    "They're rapists...."

Are there any real figures to suggest that you're more likely to commit a rape if you are an immigrant?

Rape aside, the entire narrative is that immigrants are a terrible inconvenience just by existing near you, using your hospitals, taking your jobs, etc etc. That is the sentiment peddled every day by right wing media and it really has done a number on Brits and Yanks alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I do envisage Ben Shapiro running for President some day. He's a Conservative in the States and ferociously intelligent. If he ever did run, the Democrats would need an equally intellectually ferocious candidate themselves - the guy destroys people in debates. I'd actually (as a casual observer) love to see a Presidential Race in the future between Ben and a similar candidate, as the debates would actually be about policy and not "she is weak" or "his hands are small".
    He does shred in debates. Shame he's misguided! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lad View Post
    "They're rapists...."

Are there any real figures to suggest that you're more likely to commit a rape if you are an immigrant?

Rape aside, the entire narrative is that immigrants are a terrible inconvenience just by existing near you, using your hospitals, taking your jobs, etc etc. That is the sentiment peddled every day by right wing media and it really has done a number on Brits and Yanks alike.
    I believe there are. Will take a look later as I'm kind of busy.

Obviously that narrative is shite (I'm a bloody Johnny Foreigner or Scheie Auslnder and I pay my taxes!) but there is some truth burried deep in there (obviously blown massively out of proportion).
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

I believe there are. Will take a look later as I'm kind of busy.
    Frightening! Look forward to that!

but there is some truth burried deep in there
    I dunno, man... they seem fine to me (and by fine I mean just as cunty as the rest of society). Bad behaviour is not exclusive to immigrants.

Some Tory the other month was going on about how they don't integrate and don't embrace "British values" which made me laugh because I feel that by not integrating they are embracing British values in the most sincere way possible...

Hmm, a quick-ish google search spat this out - it seems to quote decent sources (haven't looked very deeply into that):

http://www.unz.com/akarlin/immigrant-crime-in-germany/
    http://www.unzcloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/germany-immigrant-crime-rates.jpg

It's kind of in German but the second link explains the important stuff in English as well. It does make for some shite reading (happily my homeland is not on that list ). Indeed it is scary stuff and I sort of understand why some of my female colleagues dread walking home alone at night.

Agree it's not exclusive to them, but I doubt anyone with half a brain would believe that even if the media spouts it. The stuff about British values is quite frankly bizarre - if they're not commiting crimes what bad are they doing? If they are, why the hell are you talking about values and not putting them in front of the court?

It seems that stats like the posted ones (should they be 100% accurate) support the claim that they are indeed more likely to commit crimes. Whether or not that is a small price to pay for the potential long term benefits is an entirely different question.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

"They're rapists...."

Most rapes don't make it anywhere near the figures or recording, due to the psychological grievousness of rape cases and lack of convictions. You'll have to go outside your quantification of figures to answer your question.

Also Mike why so prejudiced against people who believe in God?

Hmm, a quick-ish google search spat this out - it seems to quote decent sources (haven't looked very deeply into that):

http://www.unz.com/akarlin/immigrant-crime-in-germany/
    http://www.unzcloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/germany-immigrant-crime-rates.jpg

It's kind of in German but the second link explains the important stuff in English as well. It does make for some shite reading (happily my homeland is not on that list ). Indeed it is scary stuff and I sort of understand why some of my female colleagues dread walking home alone at night.

Agree it's not exclusive to them, but I doubt anyone with half a brain would believe that even if the media spouts it. The stuff about British values is quite frankly bizarre - if they're not commiting crimes what bad are they doing? If they are, why the hell are you talking about values and not putting them in front of the court?

It seems that stats like the posted ones (should they be 100% accurate) support the claim that they are indeed more likely to commit crimes. Whether or not that is a small price to pay for the potential long term benefits is an entirely different question.
    Not read it yet , but not really surprising if true , when you take the contrasting attires, roles of women in society, refugee circumstances and demographics ie young males. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Most rapes don't make it anywhere near the figures or recording, due to the psychological grievousness of rape cases and lack of convictions. You'll have to go outside your quantification of figures to answer your question.
    True. Figures are also distorted in order to support a point someone already wants to make.

When a journalist has an agenda and a bunch of facts, more often than not, they say "how can I make these facts fit my agenda?". Not "what do these facts tell me?"

It's up to us to decide where the bias is by looking extremely carefully at the data.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Also Mike why so prejudiced against people who believe in God?
    Honestly, I don't equate a belief in some intelligent god to religion. Religion is something different to me. Religion is dogma. Religion is asserting as fact that which has no evidence. Religion is believing a centuries old, dusty, batshit book has more to say about the world we live in than peer reviewed, scientific investigation.

I don't care if people individually believe in god but when they start to bring religion into it, and religion starts to muscle its way into everyday society in inexplicable ways (Scientology not paying taxes for example) then I consider it a big problem. It stifles critical thought which is fundamental for the growth of a society. It encourages this bullshit "that's just the way it is" attitude which I fucking hate.

I have my own reasons for disagreeing with the idea of an intelligent god but I'm not as prejudiced against that as I am against someone who loves the piss out of the Bible. The former at least suggests to me that someone has thought about it and come to their own conclusions rather than just reading and believing something that came from a book. There are other books out there which contradict that book so that immediately should set off alarm bells. Once you have decided that one book is definitely correct, how do you decide which to believe?
    Last edited by Mike Lad; 2nd February 2017 at 03:19 PM.

Honestly, I don't equate a belief in some intelligent god to religion. Religion is something different to me. Religion is dogma. Religion is asserting as fact that which has no evidence. Religion is believing a centuries old, dusty, batshit book has more to say about the world we live in than peer reviewed, scientific investigation.
    Aye. Important distinction people often forget.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non