Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump

Promise to peruse your links later today Bal seeing as you took the time to track them down! Just in the office now.

USA pipping Germany on the murder rate there by a cheeky 0.1!

Murder rate is probably more reliable here because reported figures of sexual assaults probably aren't as accurately reflected in reality. Unless some really dodgy policing is going on, we can assume murder rate is fairly accurate.

I'd be interested to know the murder rates per country and compare that to their respective murder rates in Germany. Wiki has the figures here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Fuck it, I'm making a spreadsheet.

Check it out here.

Unfortunately there's a difference of 2 years.

Brazil is the only country with a significant negative difference. It's huge though. Something about Germany really calms Brazilians down.

Basically all the Algerians, Lebanese and Tunisians go over to Germany and go nuts and throw out the average.

So yeah. If you're in immigrant in Germany at least, you're more likely to commit a crime. And if you emigrate to Germany your personal chance of committing a crime increases too.

Well fuck me!

Do you have data for all countries or just Germany? Haha.

Cheers for that fella! Nice spreadsheet.

I only looked at data for Germany as they seem to have taken the brunt of the refugee streams. Besides, I live in Germany so that may have had something to do with that choice.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

When talking about Mexicans did Trump say "they're rapists" or they are sending "their rapists"? (that's one for the grammar nazis)

I can't believe he's actually doing what he said he would, I thought he was just saying that to get votes!

I'm not a big fan of organized religion but just because somebody follows a religion it doesn't mean that they believe in it or some old dusty book, it may just mean their livelihood depends on it. My grandparents had to go to church every Sunday otherwise they'd face being evicted by the parish squire, unemployment and generally ostracized by the community. They weren't gullible idiots who believed in a lot of horseshit but they knew which side their bread was buttered. These days the church aren't so powerful in Britain but I imagine Muslims have been in a similar situation. Humans generally want to fit in and want others to fit in.

Mike - "by not integrating they are embracing British values in the most sincere way" - made me chuckle that!

@stevie

I understand that, but once they enter a first world democracy, such as the Great Britain or Slightly Above Average France, where religion matters less, wouldn't they be free to abandon their [redacted] beliefs?
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    @stevie

I understand that, but once they enter a first world democracy, such as the Great Britain or Slightly Above Average France, where religion matters less, wouldn't they be free to abandon their [redacted] beliefs?
    I think that depends on the community they end up living in, and how much they want to 'integrate'(!)

If you throw open the cage door the prisoner won't always step out into freedom. Fear and guilt are powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    I think that depends on the community they end up living in, and how much they want to 'integrate'(!)

If you throw open the cage door the prisoner won't always step out into freedom. Fear and guilt are powerful.
    True that.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Yes... in fairness, you can't underestimate the power of indoctrination. When you've been brought up and immersed in it for years and years, it's so difficult to break free. And if you read these books, they do a lot to try to alleviate doubt, they stress that everyone else is wrong and you are correct - they make a hell of an impression on people. People who can break free of it deserve admiration and respect, to be honest.

Society makes it more difficult by being so accepting and "respectful" of religion. #controversialopinions.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    When talking about Mexicans did Trump say "they're rapists" or they are sending "their rapists"? (that's one for the grammar nazis)
    "They're" would be grammatically correct. But "Their" would also make sense.

I transcribed the full quote for you, and to be fair, it does sound like he erroneously uses the word "their". He also characterises Mexico as a man and implies that Mexicans are smuggling Americans into the USA.

"When Mexico sends his [sic] people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us [sic]. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. Their [sic] rapists. And some, I assume, are good people".

Speaking of indoctrination - you can really tell my folks grew up in a communist "republic". The Brainwash, albeit pretty much gone, can be felt at times. Although to be fair I think the same can be said about most of us.

And that ended 25 years ago!
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non