Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trip to London

Haha, still to come mate. I'm a bit of a Worrying Wally and like to plan everything approximately forever in advance.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Ah well if you've not already got the trip planned out, you could head to Borough Market in the daytime for a bite to eat at one of the many street food stalls there - http://boroughmarket.org.uk/ and one or two decent old school pubs over the road. The Sports Bar in Haymarket always used to be good for live games, but not been in a few years - http://www.rileyssportsbars.co.uk/.

Enjoy!
    It would be spiteful
    To put jellyfish in a trifle

Cheers, will look into that!
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Getting pissed in Soho won't be cheap.

When are you visiting there's loads of stuff (beyond the traditional touristy stuff)
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

We fly off in a couple of weeks. Seem to be a fair few free museums which would suite my nerdier side perfectly.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Was fucking boss. Absolutely loved it - London truly is something else. Not sure I'd survive living in place like that, but I'm definitely going back at least on holiday!
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    London truly is something else.
    Aye....

It's expensive but I love going to London. I think I've been about 6 times now. Mostly for gigs as it's cheap as chips to fly there from Ireland.
    It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

I dunno man - I've never been to such a large city, but I think it was more than that. I really felt like I was in the capital of the world. A place which doesn't simply etch its name in the fabric of history, it weaves said fabric.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

One of my favourite things about London is this letter written by a gentlemen named Michael Faraday complaining about the open sewer that used to be the Thames:

https://todayinsci.com/F/Faraday_Michael/FaradayMichael-ThamesPollutionLetter.htm

Sir,—I traversed this day by steamboat the space between London and Hungerford Bridges, between half-past one and two o'clock. It was low water, and I think the tide must have been near the turn. The appearance and smell of the water forced themselves at once on my attention. The whole of the river was an opaque pale brown fluid. In order to test the degree of opacity, I tore up some white cards into pieces, and then moistened them, so as to make them sink easily below the surface, and then dropped some of these pieces into the water at every pier the boat came to. Before they had sunk an inch below the surface they were undistinguishable, though the sun shone brightly at the time, and when the pieces fell edgeways the lower part was hidden from sight before the upper part was under water.

This happened at St. Paul's Wharf, Blackfriars Bridge, Temple Wharf, Southwark Bridge, and Hungerford, and I have no doubt would have occurred further up and down the river. Near the bridges the feculence rolled up in clouds so dense that they were visible at the surface even in water of this kind.

The smell was very bad, and common to the whole of the water. It was the same as that which now comes up from the gully holes in the streets. The whole river was for the time a real sewer. Having just returned from the country air, I was perhaps more affected by it than others; but I do not think that I could have gone on to Lambeth or Chelsea, and I was glad to enter the streets for an atmosphere which, except near the sink-holes, I found much sweeter than on the river.

I have thought it a duty to record these facts, that they may be brought to the attention of those who exercise power, or have responsibility in relation to the condition of our river. There is nothing figurative in the words I have employed, or any approach to exaggeration. They are the simple truth.

If there be sufficient authority to remove a putrescent pond from the neighbourhood of a few simple dwellings, surely the river which flows for so many miles through London ought not to be allowed to become a fermenting sewer. The condition in which I saw the Thames may perhaps be considered as exceptional, but it ought to be an impossible state; instead of which, I fear it is rapidly becoming the general condition. If we neglect this subject, we cannot expect to do so with impunity; nor ought we to be surprised if, ere many years are over, a season give us sad proof of the folly of our carelessness.

I am, Sir, your obedient servant,

M. Faraday.
    Clear. Concise. Focused. Progressive. Not like the debate around Brexit which is about as clear as a river of shit.