Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trip to London

Oi, Mike. You see to be pro EU. So am I (I've probably benefited more than most on here from being an EU citizen).

Not being British myself, I've not really looked into what effects the EU has had on your glorious archipelago but have found it very hard to form an opinion about your decision to leave because, as you said, the facts of the matter seem to be murkier than Barca's tax bill. Now my feeling is that leaving the union is a rather bad idea (after all my homeland's national motto is "Unity creates strength") but I can't base it on too much fact. I'd love to hear what drives you, a young British software developer (?), to so vehemently defend the Union. I don't think this will turn into a repetition of the Brexit thread as it's post factum on the one hand, and I generally agree with you on the matter on the other. Would love to see the facts behind this decision and not slogans or fear mongering.

Furthermore, recently I've been trying to expose myself to different views than my own and there seem to be a few decent reasons for leaving the EU like the seemingly antidemocratic way in which legislation is passed through the committee and the rather alarming supposed plan to use France's nuclear arsenal to defend Europe's borders.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Also in London I genuinely felt as if Big Brother was watching me all the time. Cameras all around and someone is constantly telling you something over the speakers. I don't have that chilling feeling in Germany.

By the way, cudos to your rail transport - from what I saw it was quick, clean and easy to navigate. Also not horribly full even at 17:00 on a Monday. Your busses are a bit more shite, but we'll let it slide seeing as I got to ride on the front of the second level of a double decker. It was glorious!

People were also surprisingly nice in showing us the way even in the hustle and bustle of London.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Hi Bal,

I'd say pro EU is a stretch but I'd have preferred to remain. I'll try to articulate why.

Firstly, it was never something I had given much serious thought in the past. I think up until fairly recently, and certainly while Labour were in power, being anti EU was a frankly rather fringe position. As far as I was concerned, this hadn't changed, and when people like Boris Johnson were trying to convince me otherwise, I just couldn't go for it. For me, the onus of proof was squarely in Leave's camp, and they were a band of cunts. But I feel (and this is purely personal speculation) that a lot of people identified vote leave as some sort of "fuck you" to the system and I just don't think it is. And now that we are leaving, I can't say I'm happy. I don't like reading about people living abroad who are now uncertain about their future and their rights - or people who have lives here and are now being told they have to leave. And having the Tories use it as a smokescreen to justify even more cuts and even more austerity.

The CEO of our company did send out an email asking if anyone was undecided or was curious to know what the position of the company was. A few replied so we were basically told it would be easier for us to do business if we remained because we deal with clients all over the world and some boring stuff about it being easier to do deals when we're in the single market. Don't pretend to understand it. Don't pretend to understand a lot of the pros and cons - let's be honest, it's a truly complex and massive thing to understand. But I just basically identify more with the sentiments that remain carries with it. Pro unity. Open borders. Also I just trust the EU to stick up for things such as human rights and the environment more than our own. I feel that in leaving, we've lost a sobering impact on a group of people highly driven by power and money. It's not perfect, no. Not by any stretch. But I just don't buy it that we're better off out. Not yet. Happy to be proven wrong. Let's wait and see...

I kid, honestly. I don't feel like the end is nigh or anything like that. For me, we're way past that.

Hope that's something like what you were after, mate!

Cheers mate - exactly what I needed.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

@Balinkay
    I know you went already, but just in case you're already planning for your next London visit, I also recommend the Monument over the London Eye. Much, much cheaper and a great view. Going on top of St.Paul's Cathedral is also fantastic for both what you get to see outside and inside. And finally, as seeing London from above goes, I also suggest Primrose Hill (just north of Regent's Park), with the bonus that you can sit on the grass and relax watching the sunrise/sunset.
    Most museums have free entry so it's a great opportunity to see world masterpieces for nothing (national gallery is definitely a must see).
    As for walks, the Southbank and Bankside area is great. Really fresh, exciting and charming at the same time.
    YNWA

Cheers mate, will remember those tips.

As for the museums - well let's just say my mates abandoned me after 40 minutes in the British Museum because I insisted on looking at everything and spouting info about it to my compadres. Needless to say, I spent like 4-5 hours in there. Seeing the Rosetta stone was cathartic.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Thankfully for them I'm sure they could find straight away dozens of other places to go to or other activities to their liking )

And thankfully for you there was no more pressure to "go to the next room" or simply just leave the museum, after those 40 minutes :P
    YNWA

Hey Bal.

I asked my girlfriend about the whole EU thing because she is petty knowledgeable about it. She studied it and wrote papers on it at college.

If you're still interested I can summarise (or better yet ask her to summarise) some of her main arguments for and against the EU. She is fairly clued up on both, but maintains that for the UK, membership can only be a good thing.

Girlfriend? Is this some obscure new IDE I've not heard about?

But seriously though, that would be lovely. Thanks a lot!
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Girlfriend? Is this some obscure new IDE I've not heard about?

But seriously though, that would be lovely. Thanks a lot!
    Ok, I'll PM you something soon. Currently in Holland so might not be for a week but expect it all the same