Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mignolet has found his boots?

Credit where it's due, he's improved and back to his old level. Unfortunately, that also means inconsistent to the point of creating a potential Twilight Zone every time he comes for the ball.
    Those who tell the truth must die. Those who tell the truth will live forever.

Unless the team in front of him is improved Dramatically in the summer he is plenty good enough and equal to what is in front of him.None of the top 3 in the prem are without fault as they have shown of late letting in up to 3 goals,as well as in European competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbrandt View Post
    Mignolet is not good enough and never will be. Sell now while he has some value.
    Torn on this. No question we need better, but the money we'd get for him wouldn't be a huge deal in the transfer market, we'd have to take time settling in another keeper and we have bigger priorities within what will be a limited budget. A centre-back to regularly partner Matip and an acquisition/tactical tweaks to protect the back four would make a big difference to the Goals Conceded colum and if we add a top keeper to that in the future we'd be laughing - but the outfield area probably takes priority.

Sturridge and Ings? to replace
    Left winger
    Left back
    Defensively sound midfielder
    Centre Back

No particular order, but those areas need attention.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

I think we can get 10 or 15 mil for Mignolet and we can buy a better one for 30 or 40 mil. Let's not forget the world record transfer fee for a keeper is still held by Buffon, about 15 years ago when he moved from Parma to Juventus for about 50 mil. So it shouldn't cost us a fortune to sign a quality keeper. A 20-25 mil net spent to make that important upgrade is decent money nowadays.

I think it could be somewhat similar for some of the other positions you mentioned, and which I agree need to be sorted.

Centre-back: sell Sakho for 20-25 mil and buy Van Dijk (or someone similar) for 40-45 mil;
    Left back: sell Moreno for 10-15 mil and buy someone for 25-30 mil;
    Striker: sell Sturidge (and loan Ings) for 20-25 mil and buy someone for 40-45 mil.

For around 70 mil we could easily improve 4 critical positions in a significant manner.

Considering we have a net profit from transfers over the last year and we haven't spent (net spent, of course, as that's the only relevant criteria) a lot in previous years either, we should have at least 70 mil available.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by Redbrandt View Post
    I think we can get 10 or 15 mil for Mignolet and we can buy a better one for 30 or 40 mil. Let's not forget the world record transfer fee for a keeper is still held by Buffon, about 15 years ago when he moved from Parma to Juventus for about 50 mil. So it shouldn't cost us a fortune to sign a quality keeper. A 20-25 mil net spent to make that important upgrade is decent money nowadays.

I think it could be somewhat similar for some of the other positions you mentioned, and which I agree need to be sorted.

Centre-back: sell Sakho for 20-25 mil and buy Van Dijk (or someone similar) for 40-45 mil;
    Left back: sell Moreno for 10-15 mil and buy someone for 25-30 mil;
    Striker: sell Sturidge (and loan Ings) for 20-25 mil and buy someone for 40-45 mil.

For around 70 mil we could easily improve 4 critical positions in a significant manner.

Considering we have a net profit from transfers over the last year and we haven't spent (net spent, of course, as that's the only relevant criteria) a lot in previous years either, we should have at least 70 mil available.
    Can you name any GK that is worth that amount and would actually come to us?

Mignolet has made some howlers, and I have been one of his critics, but the lad has shown signs of improvement, has great reflexes and can only get better.

I was gutted Chelsea landed Begovic as he would have been an ideal replacement.

Who are the best GK's in the premier league? Courtois ...De Gea? Forster ?

Pepe Reina still has a few years left in him FFS Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post

Mignolet has made some howlers, and I have been one of his critics, but the lad has shown signs of improvement, has great reflexes and can only get better.

He has always shown signs of improvement until the next huge error. And, at 29, I don't believe in major improvement.
    If you're good, as a football player, you show it before 25-26 years old. I doubt he's one of those very few exceptions that suddenly become really good at 29.

Apart from that, I admit there aren't many options available. Neuer, De Gea and Courtois are certainly impossible to get, but maybe we can get someone like Oblak or Donnaruma for that kind of money.

Or, we can give Karius a proper chance and buy some other young, talented keeper, who'd cost much less. I really liked Pickford, for example, when I saw him this season.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post

As a couple of geniuses pointed out on another thread, he doesn't need the name of the replacement on the tip of his tongue. The point is still valid, we could easily improve on Mignolet.

Interesting that you bring up Reina. If you rewind a few years, you'll find that I was one, of two posters on this forum, trying to explain what a massive mistake it was getting rid of him. Of course, the whoppers would have none of it.

Let's see how long it takes us to end up with a better keeper than Reina.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post
    As a couple of geniuses pointed out on another thread, he doesn't need the name of the replacement on the tip of his tongue. The point is still valid, we could easily improve on Mignolet.

Interesting that you bring up Reina. If you rewind a few years, you'll find that I was one, of two posters on this forum, trying to explain what a massive mistake it was getting rid of him. Of course, the whoppers would have none of it.

Reina was terrible in his last season or so for us.
    Just about every shot on goal (so long as it did not hit him on the way) went in.
    I think he never properly recovered from his double hernia op.
    After that op he never seemed to dive much anymore but rather went down on one knee with both arms stretched out like John Boulter from B&W Minstrels
    Last edited by scientificred; 5th April 2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: name error

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post

Two posters? You and your ego you mean.
    It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Any PL title attempt needs a solid back line so goalkeeper and some able-bodied defenders please Jurgen. Good lad.
    Anyone know Jurgen's email? So we can send him our list.
    It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!