Bet for FREE on football and win real cash bet4F is changing the game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conventional Media

Conventional Media

Anyone still use/read TV or papers as news these days?

I personally feel they've got very little credibility and never actively try to expose myself to it (well, bar the odd sports article). Trust in these mainstream sources seems to be at an all time low.

And now it seems a few of the fuckers have declared open war on youtube. Scared they're being replaced maybe?

So do you geezers indulge in the odd newspaper?
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Very rarely do I buy anything tangible to read. I read the news a lot but only online. I read all sorts. From the BBC to Breitbart. I can understand not wanting to be exposed to it because everything has an agenda.

The media has had a very unhelpful, polarising tone of late that doesn't promote discussion and basically just seeks to peddle this "look at us, aren't we great, look at them, aren't they fucking stupid" narrative and I'm disappointed in the level that people just lap it up. Little focus or interest in the truth these days.

Found this in Brighton yesterday. This is the sort of discourse promoted by the news, the media, politicians, etc. Depressing.

All media has always had some agenda - I've accepted that. My problem is more in line with your second paragraph - it's either "y'all are nazis" or "y'all are libtards".
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    All media has always had some agenda
    True enough. I can accept that. It's twisting facts to support your agenda in full knowledge and then selling it under the umbrella term of "news" which is more the problem, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lad View Post
    True enough. I can accept that. It's twisting facts to support your agenda in full knowledge and then selling it under the umbrella term of "news" which is more the problem, I guess.
    Yeah - it's frankly insulting at times. The sensationalism sold by respectable sources as fact is scandalous.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    All media has always had some agenda - I've accepted that. My problem is more in line with your second paragraph - it's either "y'all are nazis" or "y'all are libtards".
    Agree with that enormously.

There are extreme "leftists" and extreme right-wingers.

Also loads of people might be quite left socially, but slightly right financially - but if you say one thing in favour of "either" (it's not as black and white as that obviously) you find yourself pigeon-holed.

So annoying.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

I remember when Piers Morgan got confused on his program because guns are a "right wing" issue in America, but have no place on the political spectrum in the UK. Poor Piers couldn't get his head around that idea because he's a right winger here but he's anti-gun as well. I don't blame him though because he spent a large portion of his life encouraging people to think about things in terms of black and white, and some of it must have rubbed off on him. This is what happens when you think about issues only as labels and pick your arguments la carte.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lad View Post
    I remember when Piers Morgan got confused on his program because guns are a "right wing" issue in America, but have no place on the political spectrum in the UK. Poor Piers couldn't get his head around that idea because he's a right winger here but he's anti-gun as well. I don't blame him though because he spent a large portion of his life encouraging people to think about things in terms of black and white, and some of it must have rubbed off on him. This is what happens when you think about issues only as labels and pick your arguments la carte.
    The debate between him and Ben Shapiro was bloody hilarious.

Whatever you think of Ben's politics, he's ruthless in a debate. Utterly ruthless.

Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Ben is quite funny. Damn capitalist pig to the very core, but he does make some good points once in a while.

Edit: Who is Pierce Morgan anyway? I know he's a knob and an Arsenal fan but nothing more. Is he a journalist, politician, businessman? He's got his own show I see so I'll bet on clown but you never know.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

He was editor of the News of the World and was at the heart of the phone hacking scandal here where employees of said publication would hack into various people's voicemail accounts and listen to private messages. All done under the guise of journalism. The ends justify the means. We have a duty to the people. Etc etc.