Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Time to lose this loser Top Four Mentality

Time to lose this loser Top Four Mentality

Watched Arsenal last nite...the same Arsenal that Liverpool Football Clubs blueprint is based on as regards talented manager, Club based on profits rather than trophies, young hopeful players reaching potential and sold on for profit, fans fleeced to the max regarding ticket prices, fans believing they are still a big Club based purely on past reputation and a manager to stubborn to change his mindset but carries his owners orders out to the letter of the law.

But anyway...what I want to know is if anybody did watch Arsenal last nite is this really what you want for Liverpool F.C is this the road your happy to go down because I dont.

Before anybody has a go at me or says am on some sort of winde up let's just have a look at some of the things Carragher said after last nites performance and see if it's the same as some of the stuff I have been banging on for weeks in the other threads about, see how much reminds Arsenal of Us...

Carragher ••• " Now there is an acceptance of fourth, there's this thing about losing tonite and where it leaves you top four. Forget top four. It's nothing to do with it in my eyes in terms of Arsenal. It's been nonesense for five or six years. Go for trophies, not top four, this has affected the whole Club, they've lost something special they had "

Carragher••• " this acceptance of fourth has spread throughout the club when this man ( Wenger ) came in it was titles right away and competing with Manchester United...if they finished second it was seen as a nightmare season now fourth is seen as success "

Carragher then goes on to have a go at Ozil and Sanchez for basically bottling it because of contract talks and demanding more money instead of showing you deserve it on the pitch.
    The point I am making is this top four mentality people have is pushing us closer to the situation Arsenal are in now. I just can't understand how fans can see this as any sort of hollow success and it disgusts me to think fans would rather have this than win a trophy...it's disgraceful it really is. You are suppose to be Liverpool fans not John Henry, FSG and Juergen Klopp fans, these people make financial profit and bonus by finishing top four so will take that all day, what's in it for us fans if there's no hope glory or success in it just gonna be in the same situation as Arsenal are today...

TIME TO LOSE THIS TOP FOUR MENTALITY......

Thanks..
    Leader of all..master of none..

Well we've made top 4 once in the last 7-8 years so if we finish there this season then that's surely improvement. This team is miles better than last season and if klopp can get the same level of improvement next season then we'll be challengers.

And how many consecutive seasons have they had of Champions League football ?
    And during that time, how many seasons have we been in the competition ?
    How many times have we qualified for the Champions League in the last 10 years ?

Us qualifying will be a step in the right direction regarding the ability of our squad, our earning potential and our pulling power in the transfer market.
    It's a step in the right direction not a final destination.

I know this, you know this and everyone else on here knows this.

So either you are simply here to increase the post count, a complete wum, possibly a Bitter or an inbred, or, most concerning for you, you are genuine and just not very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    And how many consecutive seasons have they had of Champions League football ?
    And during that time, how many seasons have we been in the competition ?
    How many times have we qualified for the Champions League in the last 10 years ?

Us qualifying will be a step in the right direction regarding the ability of our squad, our earning potential and our pulling power in the transfer market.

So either you are simply here to increase the post count, a complete wum, possibly a Bitter or an inbred, or, most concerning for you, you are genuine and just not very bright.
    The End.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

To qoute Ricky Bobbys daddy "If you're not first you're last."
    If we're not going to win the pl we may as well get relegated. It's a solid mentality alright spungles.

Anyway last time i checked the 2016/17 season ain't finished yet.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post

Thank you miller.

I'll be copy pasting my post from another thread yesterday as it's relevant to this one - once I'm at my PC.

Just look at the Rafa years. Yes, we were content with settling for a top four spot in the seasons we didn't win things in the sense that the vast majority of us wouldn't have said "if we finish outside the top four, he goes" (most of us were gutted when he left) but we had no plan to "settle" for that for years on end - we wanted to compete, which we did - Champion's League quarter-finals and semi-finals were the norm for us and we were never "thumped" on aggregate - losses were always relatively narrow - plus we had a League challenge, an FA Cup and a Europa League semi-final.

For me, in terms of "where we want to be" it's about becoming a trophy vacuum like 70's and 80's Liverpool or 90's and 00's United - matching the sort of consistency we had under Benitez would be a marvellous step in that direction and we simply don't get there without first getting the baby step of actually finishing 4th out of the way to start with.

We can't magically become England's Bayern overnight - nor do I think any side could - though we may sadly see Chelsea and City create a duopoly akin to Spain's League. If that is to be the case, we can hopefully become the equivalent of Atletico.

Belittling the first step on the path to greatness won't exactly get us motivated and out the front bloody door, so why do it?
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Top four in its own right is a trophy in relation to the funds you get from TV revenue. That in turn leads to investing in the new squad (you would hope)

I'm happy to currently give Klopp the time he needs to win the PL.

5 year plan? If we can qualify for the top four every year for the next five years, mount a title challenge 2 out of the 5 years,win a couple of cups in that period, continue to invest in the squad, sort out the defence...then yeah, Id be quite content with that.

The teams that make it to the top four, or shall we say the regulars continue to invest heavily every season. (Apart from poor Arsenal) we don't have that cash at our disposal. So making the top four and beating the mancs to it makes it all that sweeter. (must have struck a nerve there spunkles with my Manc comment)

Wenger has won the PL, so their expectations of him are higher (going back to ludicrous thread title here "how spoilt are our fans") how spoilt are they?

We're not that far off from challenging for the league. Consistent top4 can only get us closer.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non