Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Milner to stay at LB for next season?

I have been telling people for a while that they shouldn't be surprised if we have Milner still playing LB as well as other players playing out of position next season. Milner has done better than I and many other expected, but he has his limitations, notably his lack of pace and the fact he's right footed.

We need a new LB and if we have the amount that is being rumoured (up to 200m apparently) then we should be able to get one along with the other players we need. However I have serious doubts as to whether we'll have near to half that amount yo spend AFTER sales, and as Sid said, we have other areas that need addressing, namely the central defence, a quality DM, a quality wide player to make us less reliant on Mane and a fit, 20+ goal a season striker.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    I have been telling people for a while that they shouldn't be surprised if we have Milner still playing LB as well as other players playing out of position next season. Milner has done better than I and many other expected, but he has his limitations, notably his lack of pace and the fact he's right footed.

We need a new LB and if we have the amount that is being rumoured (up to 200m apparently) then we should be able to get one along with the other players we need. However I have serious doubts as to whether we'll have near to half that amount yo spend AFTER sales, and as Sid said, we have other areas that need addressing, namely the central defence, a quality DM, a quality wide player to make us less reliant on Mane and a fit, 20+ goal a season striker.
    Which ones?

Quote Originally Posted by TorbenPiechnik View Post
    Which ones?
    Firmino up top or out wide, Hendo as a DM, Origi and Sturidge out wide, Clyne at LB (only occasionally - such as this weekend) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TorbenPiechnik View Post
    You still think he's a midfielder?

#wum
    Well, he'd probably do better in nets than Mignolet but I wouldn't want him playing there.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Anybody who reads my posts knows how much of a 'one paced, arthritic donkey' I think Jimmy Milner is.

The thought of him playing left back was just comical (i'm sure I wont be the only one!)!

BUT...

He has been excellent this season. I'd be more than happy to have him have another season at LB the same as this.

I think the first team is pretty set apart from the keeper and a partner for Matip.

That's not to say we need to bring in players that are obvious reserves to boost the numbers. Players that are brought in need to be challenging players in the first team for their places.

NEW GK

Clyne
    Matip
    NEW CB
    Milner

Henderson
    Wij
    Lallana

Mane
    Firmino
    Coutinho
    Agree wholeheartedly with your assessments think Milner has outperformed Clyne, this season.

The amount of furore on here over Klopps decision to play Milner at lb, you think they'd be queing up to give Klopps insight the praise it deserves

Clyne hasn't been great last couple of months. His offensive contribution is as atrocious as ever but his defensive one has taken a bit of a nosedive. Doesn't feel as secure as he did earlier on in the season.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Clyne hasn't been great last couple of months. His offensive contribution is as atrocious as ever but his defensive one has taken a bit of a nosedive. Doesn't feel as secure as he did earlier on in the season.
    36 appearances for the season and every chance of clocking up 42. Must be in excess of 3,000 minutes this season.

Hopefully we can rotate a little more next season - think he's maybe just a bit tired.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    36 appearances for the season and every chance of clocking up 42. Must be in excess of 3,000 minutes this season.

Hopefully we can rotate a little more next season - think he's maybe just a bit tired.
    Could be. Could also be the lack of competition.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Firmino up top or out wide, Hendo as a DM, Origi and Sturidge out wide, Clyne at LB (only occasionally - such as this weekend) etc.
    Our lack of wingers has forced Origi, Bobby and Sturridge to play there: hopefully this can be resolved for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Could be. Could also be the lack of competition.
    If we do buy a decent backup/ first choice LB this summer, Milner could also cover at RB next season. He'd be very good there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly with your assessments think Milner has outperformed Clyne, this season.

The amount of furore on here over Klopps decision to play Milner at lb, you think they'd be queing up to give Klopps insight the praise it deserves
    Ha ha