Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Milner to stay at LB for next season?

Quote Originally Posted by TorbenPiechnik View Post
    Our lack of wingers has forced Origi, Bobby and Sturridge to play there: hopefully this can be resolved for next season.

If we do buy a decent backup/ first choice LB this summer, Milner could also cover at RB next season. He'd be very good there, too.
    He has played right back on a number of occasions, both for club and country.
    If football was meant to be played in the air, god would have put grass in the sky.

I would be disappointed not to see Milner with us next season. A squad needs solid hard working players as much as it needs super stars.
    I would be fine with him spending another season left if we are grooming young talent or settling his replacement.
    I would be equally content with him working as a sub as he allows one to cover multiple defensive roles and passable midfield.
    He is also our vice captain and in Hendo's absence not sure who would be a next great call to captain us?

Of course does Milner want to play off the bench or does he want to join a smaller club and enjoy a final season in midfield that may well be the question.

All said and done if he is willing to stay he would be low down my list of problems we need to fix. However we will need cover for him and we can't play the mars bar someone will trade us for Albert....

Quote Originally Posted by Slowdive View Post
    I would be disappointed not to see Milner with us next season. A squad needs solid hard working players as much as it needs super stars.
    I would be fine with him spending another season left if we are grooming young talent or settling his replacement.
    I would be equally content with him working as a sub as he allows one to cover multiple defensive roles and passable midfield.
    He is also our vice captain and in Hendo's absence not sure who would be a next great call to captain us?

Of course does Milner want to play off the bench or does he want to join a smaller club and enjoy a final season in midfield that may well be the question.

All said and done if he is willing to stay he would be low down my list of problems we need to fix. However we will need cover for him and we can't play the mars bar someone will trade us for Albert....
    Good post. Milner's work ethic is indeed very important, and because he's always been a "top pro", I think he should be able to carry on for at least another two seasons.

A Mars bar is optimistic though, unless it's fun size...

Interesting read that. Milner has definitely done a good job this season, don't think anyone doubts that. It also raises an interesting question of how much it would cost to replace him, with an adequate replacement? Probably 10m+.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post
    Interesting read that. Milner has definitely done a good job this season, don't think anyone doubts that. It also raises an interesting question of how much it would cost to replace him, with an adequate replacement? Probably 10m+.
    Are you still sure Milner's just a stopgap, and we should sign a replacement first-choice LB for next season?

I think the mooted policy - to sign a youngster who is an upgrade on Moreno and who can learn off "Milly" for a season or two - makes perfect sense. Ryan Sessegnon looks the ideal fit - he'd be able to step in when necessary, against the likes of Brighton, and be at the required level.

Are you still sure Milner's just a stopgap, and we should sign a replacement first-choice LB for next season?
    I'm still sure that's my opinion, yes. James Milner didn't start a new career as a LB at 30 years of age. He is doing a job for the team and a good job at that but if we had a decent LB at the club, Milner wouldn't be playing there. How many other top sides are playing a CM at LB?

I think the mooted policy - to sign a youngster who is an upgrade on Moreno and who can learn off "Milly" for a season or two - makes perfect sense. Ryan Sessegnon looks the ideal fit - he'd be able to step in when necessary, against the likes of Brighton, and be at the required level.
    What mooted policy? Who has told you about it?
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

I've no probs if we sign a lb. Just think other area's are a priority or must be sorted.

Having a new lb with Clyne TAA and Milner sorts that area out nicely imo.

I'd venture milners had a better season than clyne though happy with both. Anyone disagree?

For consideration independent of the question: Milner is right footed playing lb and plays with our weaker CB nearly all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I've no probs if we sign a lb. Just think other area's are a priority or must be sorted.

Having a new lb with Clyne TAA and Milner sorts that area out nicely imo.

I'd venture milners had a better season than clyne though happy with both. Anyone disagree?

For consideration independent of the question: Milner is right footed playing lb and plays with our weaker CB nearly all the time.
    It worked for Carragher all those years ago, when Henchoz and Hyypia were centre backs.
    If football was meant to be played in the air, god would have put grass in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post
    I'm still sure that's my opinion, yes. James Milner didn't start a new career as a LB at 30 years of age. He is doing a job for the team and a good job at that but if we had a decent LB at the club, Milner wouldn't be playing there. How many other top sides are playing a CM at LB?
    I would say he did, but it's an interesting question (open to you, TBRC, and everyone): do people still view him as a CM?

As for the other teams, I don't think it's very relevant what they would or wouldn't do. Milner is an individual, and you can only judge a player on his own merits. I think if he played for any of our rivals and was converted to LB, I'd think "Spotters' badge, Clive" (https://angryofislington.com/2012/03/16/classic-ronglish/)

A different question could be "would Milner play at LB for any other top side?" I suggest he would displace Gael Clichy, Nacho Monreal (it's my Monreal), and Luke Shaw. I would play Milner over these more 'natural' left backs, certainly. However, this is conjecture.

What mooted policy? Who has told you about it?
    It's rumoured in stories such as this: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-target-ryan-sessegnon-12888084. If the Sessegnon gossip is to be believed, we could construe that Liverpool are looking for a youngster who may not be ready for immediate 1st team football.