Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Ox

I just think next season we will need at least two first team capable players in each position.....that is if we keep going the way we are and maintain a top 4 spot.

Oxlade I guess can play either wide in attack or in midfield. He is a dribbling type, with pace and could well fit a pressing type of game.

Wijnaldum didn't excite me when I heard about him signing, but he is an outstanding midfielder for us now.
    "we faired worse without him (Lucas) than we did without Suarez so he's arguably more valuable to the team than Luis" - priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Do you really think he's worth 35 mill and 100kpw and would only sign here if he was guaranteed to bench one of our best 11? I doubt you think he's that good myself.

If he could be signed for 10-13 mill on 65-75kpw accepting he needs to establish himself here and knuckle down, would you deem that as a poor squad addition ? Or one worth making?
    Using your quote to pose a question, which is open for anyone -

I posted earlier in the thread about not knowing what "normal" fees are anymore, particularly with "English" tax - we spent more on a relegated midfielder than on Torres, Ibe cost 15m for Bournemouth and so on - and TV money.

What are "normal" wages these days and for how long, given the TV deals, Champion's League etc? We see players on 180k - 240k per week and there are players above that as well. Ox can ask for 100k a week if Sturridge gets 150k a week to be made of tea-dunked biscuits and so on, whether that's "fair" or not.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Can is supposedly on something around 55kpw (though will go up with the new deal) and Wij is on 90. Don't see how the Ox could ask for much more than that, seeing as how he's likely to play fewer games than Wij.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Using your quote to pose a question, which is open for anyone -

I posted earlier in the thread about not knowing what "normal" fees are anymore, particularly with "English" tax - we spent more on a relegated midfielder than on Torres, Ibe cost 15m for Bournemouth and so on - and TV money.

What are "normal" wages these days and for how long, given the TV deals, Champion's League etc? We see players on 180k - 240k per week and there are players above that as well. Ox can ask for 100k a week if Sturridge gets 150k a week to be made of tea-dunked biscuits and so on, whether that's "fair" or not.
    It is an interesting question, firstly sturridges 150kpw was done when Sturridge had been in superb form and tied him down to the club post Suarez when most thought he would have played 30 of 38 pl games or akin, chipping in with 15+ goals a season. Sadly it's today now.

Ox is valued at 20mill euro on transfermarkt. His position though is very different to say a Coutinho been sought by Barcelona. He's more like a Joe Hart, Joe Allen, Wilshire. In that at his current top club he's not a key player. His options are imo move to a midtable club like Allen possibly Wilshire, or try get to another top club and work at establishing himself there over time. Many players who choose this option must take a wage cut, unless it's city who may pay the difference to get rid of adebayour etc.

He's in the last year of his contract and unlike a Sanchez or Suarez (maybe messi is a better example he's now entering his final year too) he's just not that valuable a player. So imo you'd treat them differently.
    If a club offered you a small fee for Messi you'd be better of keeping him for a year nearly and let him leave if he doesn't sign up. Whereas with ox you'd imo be more likely to just say he wants to leave get something for him, like Allen or Wilshire. Keeping him or selling him will unlikely hinge Arsenal's chances unlike say Sanchez.

So imo we're in a strong position should he really want to come here. So should not overpay on wages or fee. Klopp is widely regarded as the best player polisher and it's in oxs best interests should Klopp choose to take him on. Ox is athletic but he needs a bit of work.

Our midfield 4/5 hendo, Can, Wiji, Lallana/Lucas have been good. Ox wouldn't usurp any position there imo. He'd get plenty of mins with extra games and injuries, rotation.

So that's how I'd view it with the ox. It could work out really well for him under Klopp like with Lallana, or with Hendo at DM. Also we're i hope trying to add in other areas. Say VVD, which by reports we'd be looking at 50 mill or thereabouts. With other clubs interested the wage needed to land him could be massive, potentially arriving as the highest paid player above Phil's/Studges 150kpw.

As a priority for what we need, and the interest in both players with respect, the reported fee for Ox just couldn't be justified against his likely position in the squad imo. We need some more numbers in midfield, whereas other areas are more in need of quality additions.

VVD, 50 mill, 150kpw+
    Ox, 30 mill, 100kpw big win for arsenal , 30 mill for ox with one year left on contract
    Ox, 10-13mill, 65-75 kpw. Win for us and him imo, reasonable win for arsenal.

Some of these posts are comedy gold.

I think I've just been reading them wrong all along. They are a complete and utter piss take.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Which bits? Kind of funny how you like to mock opinions on a football forum. Everyone has their own opinions some well supported others with hindsight not so, but discussion is the aim of the forum (even if some are less willing to make their opinions known). You've had a fair few whoppers of your own brc

Be fair there's far too many in educated fools on here who when they don't like or agree with a post resort to name calling or mocking.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Which bits? Kind of funny how you like to mock opinions on a football forum. Everyone has their own opinions some well supported others with hindsight not so, but discussion is the aim of the forum (even if some are less willing to make their opinions known). You've had a fair few whoppers of your own brc
    None of mine come close to Lallana and Origi being up there with Suarez.

You're in a league of your own with that one, Whopper
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post
    None of mine come close to Lallana and Origi being up there with Suarez.

You're in a league of your own with that one, Whopper
    Really , hmmmm, can think of worse tbh, nevermind it's been pointed out to you by another poster on here that you got that one wrong. But you like to ignore things willfully

Watching Oxtail Chambermaid playing Boro right now, it's a game he should be able to show his quality in.