Bet for FREE on football and win real cash – bet4F is changing the game

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Warning 2

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    As a kid i started an affinity with LFC due the LFC players playing in euro 88/Italia 90. So rather than glory hunting it was a national following. As a young kid in 88/90 I'd very little knowledge of the glory or access to media which didn't exist then.
    The next generation tuned into united with Keane Irwin McGrath. Then you have the traditional trophy piece of world football the fa cup and handed down from parents/uncles Johnny Giles at Leeds Brady at Arsenal. Maybe a few cfc fans with duffer or spurs with keane now.

Seems a bit strange that given English footballs self-promotion via media, it's sucking up players from all over the world to create a top league would then bemoan the fanbase from such acquisitions​ of players like Rush et all.

Doesn't happen with rugby in Ireland. Money isn't as obscene so provinces can remain competitive. Most of the national players play here and there's a relative parity of quality on display.

Guess it'd be the same for avid basketball fans in Liverpool. Suspect they'd follow the NBA and a team there.
    Same here for me CC,only mine started in early '76 when as a 7 year old(soon to be 8) I took an immediate shine to the roar and sound of the Kop on TV and THAT ALL RED KIT,I had absolutely no idea who was good or crap at the time in English Footy so the gloryhunter bollocks is just that to me....BOLLOCKS!....Good post bud...

The Roar on the telly could easily be controlled by the volume, 25k on the Kop could just as well sounded the same as 10k at Derby County depending on how high your volume was haha. If it was the all red strip what was wrong with Leyton Orient...
    Come on now tell the truth in 1976 Liverpool were the main club at that time and you picked them because of that haha, makes no odds to me people can pick whoever they want it's the real reason that interests me especially when they say it's not because of fame or glory which ofcorse it is...

No name calling... reasonable debate...It said. Leyton Orient it said...Great atmosphere...Widely available on TV...As much as LFC in 76...

Sure jp might acknowledge the obvious

I started supporting because of Kenny's hair.
    It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

That's more like it as in some bizarre reasons why people support a club.
    I would still like my questioned answered if anybody can give me a civilised answer as I would really like to know.
    If everybody did what most Liverpool, United and Chelsea fans did which is adopt a club where there not from purely on the basis they are better, more famous, or more successful than the club where they live or the closest club to egere they live where would that leave football and the likes of less fashionable or lower league clubs....

Like I say I would like a genuine debate on this subject and I am not having a go I am just trying to understand why people would turn there backs on the club that represents them and one they can actually get out and actively support instead of one hindereds of miles away that will never be truly there's...

Of course it's glory hunting. Even if at a young age you were not aware of the trophy hauls the coverage we received will have sublimally pointed you towards the best. That is why so many 40-55s around the country are liverpool 'fans' and 18-40 united. People may claim other reasons but there were years in the 80s were Liverpool were the only team anyone knew. Like the combined media coverage and hype of today's top 6. With European games, fa cup runs and itvs the match I reckon 60-70% of live games involved Liverpool.

I think the NBA is a good analogy for the Irish fans. Still can't get why a sheep botherer would have chosen Liverpool ahead of Cardiff or Swansea.

Sigh, I'll bite.

I'm a gloryhunter and proud of it. Okay, maybe not proud but you get the point.

My dad saw Liverpool play live in my homeland in the 80-s and became enamoured with them, even though he's repeatedly stated they didn't play the prettiest football he'd seen and they weren't the best team he'd seen. Don't get me wrong - he loved how good they were and that was probably both directly and indirectly the reason he became a fan.

As I was growing up, I didn't have any serious interest in football but at some point I started playing it pretty much daily and as a result began playing some footie computer games. I'd always pick Juve and I still want them to do well in Italy and Europe every time they play.

All this let to me starting to watch the odd game with my old man. They'd show the Bundesliga and the Calcio and we'd check those out but he only really seemed invested when Liverpool played. The odd game became the odd month, then the odd year and in time he realised I was becoming a fan. In the beginning I was puzzled by his reactions - e.g. we'd been on some horrible run (say 7 games without a win), he'd be hugely annoyed, would swear at the TV and just repeat how it was all a bad joke, but he'd always watch 'til the end and come back the following week. At some point it stopped puzzling me.

As it became clear I was taking more and more interest in the fate of Liverpool Football Club, he sat me down and told me that Liverpool doesn't win all the things, that they don't play the most beautiful football and that I'd witness more success if I chose a different club. He didn't want me to be a fan of Liverpool for no other reason other than not letting him down either. But I'd been bitten by the bug. Have been calling myself a Liverpool fan since then.

I never felt I was represented by any club due to the corrupt and otherwise wholly abysmal state of footie in my homeland. And football is my sport - I love playing it, I love watching it, I love discussing it. There could be no other sport for me, so if any sports establishment could represent me - it would have been a football club.

I never got to see the glory years of the 70s and 80s and the closest to those great teams I've witnessed is Rafa's monster side of 08/09 - best 11 in the world that was. Now I'm here hoping for the glory days of which I've only heard muddied legends to come back.

A bit of a sob story that, I know, and as stated - I am a gloryhunter - JAYPEA explained it well really. Have no real "natural connection" to the club, not sure what that even means. The closest I've come to seeing Liverpool play was last year in Basel - was at the public viewing. The closest I've come to actually financially supporting the club has been buying a shirt in 2011. That's it really - my humble contribution to LFC.

I wouldn't have a problem if you or anyone else considered me a leech or a cancer , all that's wrong with modern footie (hell a few guys on here already do) - I could see where you'd be coming from and I'm not sure I could blame you.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

International fans of European football only had a few options in following teams because before the last couple of decades it was almost never on tv and before the internet following a club from across the pond was very difficult. I grew up playing in the 80s and coached in the 90s a bit. The only football I saw as a boy was the Bundesliga game of the week....typically a Bayern game. In the 90s ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal were on from time to time. Almost everyone I ever ran across supported the Mancs and from the start I just couldn't stand them lol. Cantona and all those cunts I hated. Liverpool had the heritage, the working class vibe, the chants and atmosphere. I loved it. First LFC jersey I had was some mid late 90s away thing. Have followed ever since and I'll forever remember watching Istanbul and being in a state of bliss for days after ha!
    I couldn't care less what some fuck thinks about what level or quality fan I am. Haven't missed a game since 2012 I think. Threads like this are a pissing contest to try to show who the "real fans" are. Piss off

Quote Originally Posted by JAYPEA View Post
    Of course it's glory hunting. Even if at a young age you were not aware of the trophy hauls the coverage we received will have sublimally pointed you towards the best. That is why so many 40-55s around the country are liverpool 'fans' and 18-40 united. People may claim other reasons but there were years in the 80s were Liverpool were the only team anyone knew. Like the combined media coverage and hype of today's top 6. With European games, fa cup runs and itvs the match I reckon 60-70% of live games involved Liverpool.

I think the NBA is a good analogy for the Irish fans. Still can't get why a sheep botherer would have chosen Liverpool ahead of Cardiff or Swansea.
    I was a LFC fan because of Irish players​ , early 30s now, didn't know fa about LFC other than the mentions of which Irish players were playing at which club. Probably a few years aligned to LFC (primarily Houghton) before i ever saw a newspaper article or match myself. Vague memories it was around or just prior to Fowler/Maccas time. Wouldn't have known about the European cups, Arsenal & Thomas, tragedies, till much later.

Don't mind being an oot labelled glory hunter. But do wonder what the issue is with it generally. LFC attract players from all over. They​ suck up glory hunting players who want success, then they get glory hunting fans who like to follow top teams and their top players. By extension do you think Kenny was a glory hunting player? Or have a problem with that?

LFC ain't like that Basque club who only plays players born in the region or county/city. LFC success in the professional era is heavily backed by ootowners.

Like I said previously we have shite and great fans from abroad and from within the city. While
    Many may have come for the glory in the school playground you've stayed through the more barren times.