Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Liverpool gain balance with this one simple TRICK. What happens next will SHOCK you..

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,322

    Liverpool gain balance with this one simple TRICK. What happens next will SHOCK you..

    Oh Sid, hilarious thread title.

    All jokes aside, we're experiencing something "anti-Benitez" at present. Rafa ensured we had a great spine, but we never quie reached Nirvana out wide. Klopp has addressed the wide area issue we've had for years, but at times the spine looks fragile.

    The window is closed so we can't fix personnel right now, but there are things we can tweak. One is the set-up.

    I'd love us to go 4-2-3-1 for a bit and try a game or two without Hendo. Can and Wijnaldum as a "2" with (injuries/bans permitting) Coutinho in the pocket, Mane and Salah wide, Firmino up top, with Can and Wiji given "defence first" instructions. I actually liked our full-back balance first half too - Flanagan defends first and probably knows his limitations in attack and that could potentially be the Yin to Moreno/Robertson Yang.

    The main point though is having a "2" - our attacking options are so mobile anyway that they'd always find a pass on.

    I'd bloody love to see it. If we take that hypothetical "6" of Can, Wijnaldum, Salah, Mane, Coutinho and Firmino then bear in mind that Keita replaces one of them next year, plus were to heaven forbid get a genuine DM for it, it looks a real unit. But until personnel (CB, DM, Keita)are available, a protective "2" is what I want us to try.

    Anyone else have any formation tweaks they'd like to see?

    Frustrating night. Oh well, next game.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Oh Sid, hilarious thread title.

    All jokes aside, we're experiencing something "anti-Benitez" at present. Rafa ensured we had a great spine, but we never quie reached Nirvana out wide. Klopp has addressed the wide area issue we've had for years, but at times the spine looks fragile.

    The window is closed so we can't fix personnel right now, but there are things we can tweak. One is the set-up.

    I'd love us to go 4-2-3-1 for a bit and try a game or two without Hendo. Can and Wijnaldum as a "2" with (injuries/bans permitting) Coutinho in the pocket, Mane and Salah wide, Firmino up top, with Can and Wiji given "defence first" instructions. I actually liked our full-back balance first half too - Flanagan defends first and probably knows his limitations in attack and that could potentially be the Yin to Moreno/Robertson Yang.

    The main point though is having a "2" - our attacking options are so mobile anyway that they'd always find a pass on.

    I'd bloody love to see it. If we take that hypothetical "6" of Can, Wijnaldum, Salah, Mane, Coutinho and Firmino then bear in mind that Keita replaces one of them next year, plus were to heaven forbid get a genuine DM for it, it looks a real unit. But until personnel (CB, DM, Keita)are available, a protective "2" is what I want us to try.

    Anyone else have any formation tweaks they'd like to see?

    Frustrating night. Oh well, next game.
    Definitely go for two Holding midfielders based on the fact we can't upgrade or add to our personnel.

    Wasn't Rafa slated for playing two holding midfielders?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,508
    We need a formation change, but that won't help enough unless with have the correct players to play in it. We also need to be able to play more than one way.

    We need a quality DM to give our defence some protection and we need a quality out and out striker who can put away a few of the many chances we create.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    offaly
    Posts
    11,463
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    Definitely go for two Holding midfielders based on the fact we can't upgrade or add to our personnel.

    Wasn't Rafa slated for playing two holding midfielders?
    Only by idiots

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    6,269
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    Definitely go for two Holding midfielders based on the fact we can't upgrade or add to our personnel.

    Wasn't Rafa slated for playing two holding midfielders?
    We haven't got an Alonso or a Mascherano, or a decent defence behind it. Any system will work with the right players.
    If football was meant to be played in the air, god would have put grass in the sky.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,322
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    Definitely go for two Holding midfielders based on the fact we can't upgrade or add to our personnel.

    Wasn't Rafa slated for playing two holding midfielders?
    I remember (before 4231 was popular) Jamie Redknapp slating Rafa for our system but praising Mourinho's "genius" when he'd use 2 holders.

    Infuriating. The hounding out of Rafa was so grim.

    Anyway, Can+Wijnaldum as a screen has to be tried for me - Can is a battler and Wijnaldum is generally resilient whilst not being afraid of a keep-it-simple pass. He weighs his options up quickly and generally picks the right ball. Plus (sorry Hendo...) we need to try something different to Henderson, even if it's just to experiment, for a couple of games.

    Neglected to mention him in the OP but we miss Lallana big time too.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I remember (before 4231 was popular) Jamie Redknapp slating Rafa for our system but praising Mourinho's "genius" when he'd use 2 holders.

    Infuriating. The hounding out of Rafa was so grim.

    Anyway, Can+Wijnaldum as a screen has to be tried for me - Can is a battler and Wijnaldum is generally resilient whilst not being afraid of a keep-it-simple pass. He weighs his options up quickly and generally picks the right ball. Plus (sorry Hendo...) we need to try something different to Henderson, even if it's just to experiment, for a couple of games.

    Neglected to mention him in the OP but we miss Lallana big time too.
    Can and Wij is my preferred option. Hendo needs a bit of rest and benching for a few months. Milner can also do a job too.

    We miss Lallana true, but how often does one player get injured / suspended and we end up missing them. I honestly thought we had greater depth. The additions this season...only Salah has made an immediate impact for his price tag. You could see we were crying out for a player of his ability and the thought of him and mane causing havoc was great, but their hard work, is overshadowed by the inexperience inadequacies we have behind them.

    The frustration is clear on their faces when they're subbed at ridiculous times or brought on thinking "what the fuck do I do hear"

    It's honestly worrying that the areas we shouldve addressed haven't been, that the effort is there, but the end product isn't. Preseason is there to get out all the rustiness you have in your system and hit the ground running. Our attackers did, our midfield and defenders haven't.

    So if Klopp himself, believes his back four is all he needs, and now says that VVD will not solve our problems...then if he doesnt know what will solve our problems then we're kinda fucked...no?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,125
    With the players we have, and how "solid" we are, I can't see us playing any other way currently, we've got no Defensive midfielders, Henderson is not a defensive midfielder, if he was his positioning would be better for the first goal and he'd be ready in front of the cb's that cleared the ball, he also let gray get past him quite often, very poor

    We've also got no one to play those long balls forward, oh my days how good would it be to have a Alonso with Salah/Mane?

    Henderson can do some nice balls sometimes, rarely same as Can.. but it's not often enough otherwise we could easily play on the counter against some teams and I don't see how we wouldn't score with the pace we'd have.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 19th September 2017 at 11:01 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    5,047
    When would we ever play with 2 holding mids? Never going to happen and even if we did the midfielders we have arent disciplined enough to do it.
    The defining moments in our lives are never planned.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,322
    Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    When would we ever play with 2 holding mids? Never going to happen and even if we did the midfielders we have arent disciplined enough to do it.
    You can play a "2" without both being Mascherano/Kante/Makelele types. It's just a case of a bit of role-tweaking. Both can't bomb forward simultaneously, at least one thinks "back to shape" when we lose the ball while the front 4 aim to regain it, one is vigilant of the gap between full-back and centre-back (or the hole in front of 2 centre-backs) depending on where an opposition attacker has it, things like this.

    Don't think it's a huge overhaul by any means and we should be capable. We can generally be relied upon to score 2 goals. If a midfield re-adjust and a slight tweak at full-back can mean we tend to concede 0 or 1 goal per game rather than 2, then it has to be worth a shot.

    We need to protect "Zone 14" and concede less crosses/corners (which Ward dealt with pretty well actually). Beyond that we're not too shabby.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Similar Threads

  1. Klopp urges Liverpool to keep it simple
    By Liverpool Echo in forum LFC News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th March 2017, 10:50 PM
  2. Ovie Ejaria - and why Liverpool's gain is Arsenal's loss
    By Liverpool Echo in forum LFC News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th October 2016, 07:21 PM
  3. 'Sakho doesn't have to gain my trust'
    By BBC in forum LFC News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th September 2016, 05:22 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd August 2016, 05:50 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th April 2016, 12:30 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •