Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hugs no more

But we'd only need one moment of magic to get us thru lean times if we didn't throw it away at the back

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    My gripe has always been I feel there's a lack of accountability..............and he needs criticism to make better choices. .....

If he did say VVD or no one maybe he would have bought someone else if he knew he was going to get slaughtered by press, fans and owners if the defending was woeful again.

He just seems to have achieved hero worship status without actually achieving anything here............

The last true hero in charge of the football club actually won something then got the sack.......

And with that I will shut up about it as it seems the extended holiday period is well and truly over!!!!
    Spot on I couldn't agree more. The fact that he criticises some players in public is totally wrong, you wouldn't see top top managers doing that. Personally I think he will eventually win something with Liverpool but only if he gets a new back four, goalkeeper and a leader in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by trueandred View Post
    Spot on I couldn't agree more. The fact that he criticises some players in public is totally wrong, you wouldn't see top top managers doing that. Personally I think he will eventually win something with Liverpool but only if he gets a new back four, goalkeeper and a leader in midfield.
    That's 6 new players.... and we would STILL be without a reliable striker!!!!

Any idea what that would cost?

When questioning Klopp maybe folks need to realise the size of the task. Stop singling out Jurgen who has had peanuts to spend on fixing a calamity caused by years of FSG's failed transfer policies.

I believe Klopp has been given such a long contract because our Bostonian custodians have become acutely aware of the depth of damage they have caused.

Failure to replace a world class Keeper, Striker, Captain and DM - you can't just sweep that under the carpet.

What kind of costs do you suppose Klopp would need to solve just those areas alone? That's if they were all available.

No.....year after year of directionless club management by FSG - where the primary concern has been to balance books while sponsorship and partnership deals became the holy grail has left Liverpool FC where it is today.

We have a very thin squad - a squad lacking in even the basic essentials - like a striker or even a keeper, yet somehow Klopp got us in the CL... He isn't happy with the players he has - only a fool would believe he is, but what the hell can he do about it???

No freaking wonder FSG can see the value in Jurgen, he is all that stands between them and serious supporter unrest. So when you start questioning his abilities - just think about the size of the challenge he has - working for a club with the expectations of Liverpool FC - one of the greatest clubs on the planet with owners who would be at their level in the Championship!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    That's 6 new players.... and we would STILL be without a reliable striker!!!!

Any idea what that would cost?

When questioning Klopp maybe folks need to realise the size of the task. Stop singling out Jurgen who has had peanuts to spend on fixing a calamity caused by years of FSG's failed transfer policies.

I believe Klopp has been given such a long contract because our Bostonian custodians have become acutely aware of the depth of damage they have caused.

Failure to replace a world class Keeper, Striker, Captain and DM - you can't just sweep that under the carpet.

What kind of costs do you suppose Klopp would need to solve just those areas alone? That's if they were all available.

No.....year after year of directionless club management by FSG - where the primary concern has been to balance books while sponsorship and partnership deals became the holy grail has left Liverpool FC where it is today.

We have a very thin squad - a squad lacking in even the basic essentials - like a striker or even a keeper, yet somehow Klopp got us in the CL... He isn't happy with the players he has - only a fool would believe he is, but what the hell can he do about it???

No freaking wonder FSG can see the value in Jurgen, he is all that stands between them and serious supporter unrest. So when you start questioning his abilities - just think about the size of the challenge he has - working for a club with the expectations of Liverpool FC - one of the greatest clubs on the planet with owners who would be at their level in the Championship!
    Allow for the improbable:

I'd add Buffon and Mascherano on a final horay, cheap enough fees but big wages.
    They'd add quality, a little psychoticism and leadership.
    Watching Karius the other night , he was fairly alert to his role as sweeper keeper and the defence looked more assured he would be alert. Buffon would organise/bollock, stop shots, sweep up and be better at crosses even though he's a midget gk.
    Mascherano would be a DM primarily and a CB backup. Another nutter. He'd have no fear snapping at our attackers to do their job, rather than get demoralised as you've posted with our defence, who arguably don't have the balls/position/status to have a pop at our star players on the pitch.

Then we'd add Keita January/July and Vvd hopefully soon, leaving our top striker. Suarez we'd love, PeA maybe more plausible.

That's a GK, CB, DM/CB, DM/CM and a striker for the attack.
    Selling off Lazar.

So whilst our forwards have spurned countless chances, their still quality imo and overall our squad needs more in the spine of defence and a little edge in midfield for for our defense, whereas we only need one or attack out of my 5.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Watching Karius the other night , he was fairly alert to his role as sweeper keeper and the defence looked more assured he would be alert.
    There's no way we need that many players to turn things around. A couple of decent players in the spine of the team would be huge. Imagine a Carra and Gerrard in their pomp. As we saw when Suarez was here, a class player allows the ordinary players around to just be themselves. Henderson can play the short passes and do the mundane. Matip could mop things up etc. We need a few leaders in the spine of the team IMHO. A CB beside Matip. A DM and ideally a striker. I would play Karius like yourself. I think he's more assured than Mig but that's not saying much. Karius is young and has potential to improve. Mig has been around long enough and still doesn't look much better.
    Last edited by Red October; 29th September 2017 at 03:19 PM.
    From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend on reading it. Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post
    There's no way we need that many players to turn things around. A couple of decent players in the spine of the team would be huge. Imagine a Carra and Gerrard in their pomp. As we saw when Suarez was here, a class player allows the ordinary players around to just be themselves. Henderson can play the short passes and do the mundane. Matip could mop things up etc. We need a few leaders in the spine of the team IMHO. A CB beside Matip. A DM and ideally a striker. I would play Karius like yourself. I think he's more assured than Mig but that's not saying much. Karius is young and has potential to improve. Mig has been around long enough and still doesn't look much better.
    FSG saved us from going under - please remember that
    Houllier had a decent team but also bought some very questionable signings that clogged up the reserves
    G and H worked with Rafa and built a better team but he also bought even more questionable signings that further clogged up the system - our backup striker was Ngog
    He bought Crouch who did not score for about 20 games and then when he started scoring regularly he dropped him.
    He bought Robbie Keane for 20m which Fergie laughed at - he could and should have scored a hatful for us but his glaring misses in the space of a season would have represented a lifetime of embarrasing missing for most strikers each being better than Ronnie R v Villa.
    When Kenny took over he eventually hit (perhaps accidentally) on a formula that saw us play the best football I have ever seen us play - I think we had Craig, Maxi, Dirk and Fernando up front plus Mereiles but then when given the job proper he pushed them out of position or dropped then and bought more questionable signings e.g. Adam and Henderson.
    He bought Carroll and turned him into a decent footballer and then dropped him.
    Then there was Roy Hodgson then Kenny again who had lost touch with the modern game.
    Brendan was OK but lost his way
    Jurgen - give him time but my initial thoughts have not changed - he was brilliant in a Bundesliga system that did not anticipate his style change. NOW - everyone anticipates it !
    It can be good to watch but NOW... he needs to show some new vision - Can he ?

We have things to turn around with who we have now. I've given 5 players.

Keita already added, Vvd the CB we should've added in the summer. And finally PeA as this team could do with a finisher. Klopp mightn't like PeA so maybe he goes for another quality player with youth on his side. Insert player of your choice.
    Given Klopps net spend to date, modern day fees, the above wouldn't be out of this world spending.

Now Keita, Vvd and PeA are all impressive players of quality with age more on their side, unlike the other 2.

Buffon and Mascherano wouldn't be long term signings, age isn't on their side. But they are both extremely well decorated with medals. They're serial winners. What a massive lift they'd bring imo
    Arguably more difficult to sign than Klavan.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    FSG saved us from going under - please remember that
    Houllier had a decent team but also bought some very questionable signings that clogged up the reserves
    G and H worked with Rafa and built a better team but he also bought even more questionable signings that further clogged up the system - our backup striker was Ngog
    He bought Crouch who did not score for about 20 games and then when he started scoring regularly he dropped him.
    He bought Robbie Keane for 20m which Fergie laughed at - he could and should have scored a hatful for us but his glaring misses in the space of a season would have represented a lifetime of embarrasing missing for most strikers each being better than Ronnie R v Villa.
    When Kenny took over he eventually hit (perhaps accidentally) on a formula that saw us play the best football I have ever seen us play - I think we had Craig, Maxi, Dirk and Fernando up front plus Mereiles but then when given the job proper he pushed them out of position or dropped then and bought more questionable signings e.g. Adam and Henderson.
    He bought Carroll and turned him into a decent footballer and then dropped him.
    Then there was Roy Hodgson then Kenny again who had lost touch with the modern game.
    Brendan was OK but lost his way
    Jurgen - give him time but my initial thoughts have not changed - he was brilliant in a Bundesliga system that did not anticipate his style change. NOW - everyone anticipates it !
    It can be good to watch but NOW... he needs to show some new vision - Can he ?
    He's arrived at a troubled club , turned things around in many ways most notably in attracting players imo. We've ballsed up in signing those players of course , Keita is done for next season.

So the club is still troubled somewhat. Klopp arrived with a I can do this without the same level of spending as our pl big rivals, but we need to be winning our own transfer windows and consistently improving our strength. That's good for the owners so I'd imagine he's working with and on the owners and club administrative side.

It would seem he's dug in on certain players, and the owners are apparently livid we nearly got a transfer ban this summer, in addition to our youth transfer ban. The press leaks and botched transfers can't be allowed to continue, and there's a legacy there of poor performance and accrimony under previous managers. Comolli/Kenny overpaid?, Even worse the tc/who signed them?.

So think we're going through that turbulence at present, the impacts of summer 2017 rumblings.

Keita arrives, Vvd still at Soton, not our rivals, and dug in similarly to get to LFC. So on that front think we can expect things to improve in that regard.

I think we're playing differently tactically to last year. But overall all Klopp can do now is with what he has, think we'll hit a stride soon , but there are still issues that need to be sorted by Klopp here and now.

Think Klopps frustrations (and a little loss of control/composure himself) have shown, the Phil debacle, gruelling transfer window, Milner not playing fullback, performances, in his interviews over recent weeks.
    A bit of ooohhhmmmmmmmm needed

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    He's arrived at a troubled club , turned things around in many ways most notably in attracting players imo. We've ballsed up in signing those players of course , Keita is done for next season.

So the club is still troubled somewhat. Klopp arrived with a I can do this without the same level of spending as our pl big rivals, but we need to be winning our own transfer windows and consistently improving our strength. That's good for the owners so I'd imagine he's working with and on the owners and club administrative side.

It would seem he's dug in on certain players, and the owners are apparently livid we nearly got a transfer ban this summer, in addition to our youth transfer ban. The press leaks and botched transfers can't be allowed to continue, and there's a legacy there of poor performance and accrimony under previous managers. Comolli/Kenny overpaid?, Even worse the tc/who signed them?.

So think we're going through that turbulence at present, the impacts of summer 2017 rumblings.

Keita arrives, Vvd still at Soton, not our rivals, and dug in similarly to get to LFC. So on that front think we can expect things to improve in that regard.

I think we're playing differently tactically to last year. But overall all Klopp can do now is with what he has, think we'll hit a stride soon , but there are still issues that need to be sorted by Klopp here and now.

Think Klopps frustrations (and a little loss of control/composure himself) have shown, the Phil debacle, gruelling transfer window, Milner not playing fullback, performances, in his interviews over recent weeks.
    A bit of ooohhhmmmmmmmm needed
    Forgive my ignorance. Who's pea? Think we definitely need a couple of bodies in January. Otherwise this season is gonna be a long slog. Can't get over wasting 40m on oxtail. We could have got two half decent players for that. As you say a couple of free players maybe with high wages. I know it's not the owners style but in desperation surely we needed to bring some quality in. Not necessarily the players you mention but there's got to have been a few out of contract out there who could do a job. A few like Milner.

On the subject why isn't he playing Milner? Is it because he refuses to play left back? Would imagine he's a decent option for midfield in some games. Surely.

Forgive my ignorance. Who's pea? Think we definitely need a couple of bodies in January. Otherwise this season is gonna be a long slog. Can't get over wasting 40m on oxtail. We could have got two half decent players for that. As you say a couple of free players maybe with high wages. I know it's not the owners style but in desperation surely we needed to bring some quality in. Not necessarily the players you mention but there's got to have been a few out of contract out there who could do a job. A few like Milner.

On the subject why isn't he playing Milner? Is it because he refuses to play left back? Would imagine he's a decent option for midfield in some games. Surely.
    PeA is Aubemayang.

Those are the ones I'd target, obviously getting Buffon would be very difficult.

As per Milner haven't a clue really, but doubt it was Klopp, would make more sense Milner requested it imo.
    Would improve our defense at fullback.

He's a good option for midfield. But arguably the best option for our defense.
    Maybe Klopps thinking - ok fine, you cunt, noted.