Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Hugs no more

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    10,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Far Foreign Land View Post
    Just posted similar on another thread but truly believe it's only a matter of time until our forward line click and an opposing team get an utter hiding!!!

    Hopefully it's against the barcodes so that we're confident going into the following league fixtures against the bad Mancs and Spurs.
    Agree , lots of uproar from last night's game, but we look just a little off full throttle and could very easily have won 4-1 to put it conservatively.
    Whilst we look only a fraction off of being there, I do find it a bit dissapponting that we didn't just steady ourselves at the last phase and make it easier to score.
    Work so hard to get there just slow it down a little (while we're not fully at it) and tap tap tap it home.
    Looked to be playing a slight level above our station/current form.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    10,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post
    Amazingly, yes. We're actually not bad in either positionally. We really needed that win at the weekend though or we could have fallen a long way back from the leaders. We had our blip in January last season. Hopefully this is our blip this time out. Maybe Klopp will have a reality check and realise we're a long way off what he seemingly thought. Our attack will most likely click as it did last season but at the moment we're wasting a lot of chances. It's a shame because our creative play deserves more. The defence has been well documented. Our inability to grind out wins is costing us dearly right now. Morale suffers because the attackers need to score so many just to keep us in games and they must feel the pressure right now. Maybe that's why they're fluffing their lines so much. On a positive note, when it does click we're amazing like against Arsenal.
    Morale is infectious and we look to be grafting adequately through our rut, though I thought a little poor in tracking back runners off turnovers. Klopp hinted at us not creating as many as we should have.

    Things like Hendo doing a long pass when the tempo/cutting pass was on, Phil not playing Mane in down his left, Mane poorly called offside, there's loads of little decisions that are just off in our play.
    These little margins are leading to overcomplicated play and better chances being overlooked or not taken.
    Bit arsenal like, trying to get the perfect goal.

    Of course we missed chances but think that element above counts.

    If it starts then the a momentum will also be infectious. We look like a team that should get onto a run pretty soon

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYPEA View Post
    Think we'll be ok. A good year to be poor. Easiest CL group means we should still be there come Feb and players get that experience. Everton have money but not ready yet and Arsenal are a shambles so only competing with 5 for 4 places. Wembley and CL may get in way for spurs plus they have a great first team but no depth. 4th and Feb in CL. New players in july
    Like your optimism. I think we'll be okay too. Would like to see us bring in some bodies in January though. Some of our best signings have been in January which seems counter intuitive. Coutinho and Sturridge. Suarez of course. Mascherano. Daniel Agger many years back. Even Skrtel was decent. Maxi Rodriguez. Robbie Fowler came back (any club legends we could bring back?). Morientes was a good signing but didn't really work out sadly.

    Let's hope we can bring in someone decent. A middle of the road centre back would be great to shore things up. Doubt Klopp would but a goalie/or striker would be great too.
    From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend on reading it. Groucho Marx

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    10,142
    Another aspect of the analysis of last night's game was our left side.
    Lovren and Moreno's spacing was questioned again, but the bigger issue highlighted was how little coutinho and mane did in covering that side of the pitch defensively.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    10,142
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYPEA View Post
    Think we'll be ok. A good year to be poor. Easiest CL group means we should still be there come Feb and players get that experience. Everton have money but not ready yet and Arsenal are a shambles so only competing with 5 for 4 places. Wembley and CL may get in way for spurs plus they have a great first team but no depth. 4th and Feb in CL. New players in july
    True it's an easy group and we should make ko stages.
    Our players have very little positive cl experience if any. So should benefit them.

    Of those who have it here it's pretty much the 14/15 cl memories and outside of that only Salah and Matip have cl experience elsewhere in recent years. Lovren had some at Lyon

    Very early in the league, we've not really hit our stride yet in a poor start to the season, 32 games left to play.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    True it's an easy group and we should make ko stages.
    Our players have very little positive cl experience if any. So should benefit them.

    Of those who have it here it's pretty much the 14/15 cl memories and outside of that only Salah and Matip have cl experience elsewhere in recent years. Lovren had some at Lyon

    Very early in the league, we've not really hit our stride yet in a poor start to the season, 32 games left to play.
    Hope so. Im hoping (although its a major long shot) that we are going to be like chelsea last year. Struggled to find form until conte made a change in formation that kickstarted their season. Hard to see a formation change that would do that for us but our form can definitley take an upturn. Cant see our dominance in games and missing chances staying this way for long.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,141
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    The hugs will return when the form/goals/wins do...

    Easy to excempt Klopp from last night's finishing, but I was taken back at how easy it was for them at times to break on us. Often 6v5 with very little tracking back from our other 5 certainly not matching up with the opponent's.

    There was a bit of analysis last night here looking at a phase of our play and our positioning when we turned over the ball.

    We had the ball on the right flank with 3 players, on the far flank we had 4!!!! Players, leaving a grand 3 players occupying central positions out of 10.
    We turned over the ball and they had an easy path to our goal. Against better teams that scenario gets punished badly.

    Last night we created a good variety of chances. Though it seemed we tried to play @ 100% all the time, no-one really seemed to check themselves and take a teeny bit of time to compose their finish.
    Safe to say we lacked composure.

    I have no time for Klopp out talk tbh,.but he can't be separated from his team.

    Our bleak September...
    Lfc
    Shots: 126
    On target: 34
    Goals: 7

    Opposition shots: 49
    On target: 30
    Goals: 13

    Played 6: Won 1 Drawn 3 Lost 2.

    Still in relatively decent position in pl and cl all considered.

    Roll on Newcastle
    Roll on Newcastle Indeed....

    7 goals from 126 shots makes all
    focus on the defence seem foolish. Forget the media BS and those who love to latch on to a theme, the facts are stark and our finishing is absolutely pathetic!

    Many argue how the defence are putting pressure on the attack, when is is clear as day that the opposite is closer to the truth.

    Just another in a long line of events surrounding this club where the truth has been turned on its head.

    Imagine playing behind our front 3 or 4 and watching the relentless misses, close calls, last minute tackles and wonder saves dished out by opposition keepers... It surely would make your job all the more nerve wracking..

    If we have 2 areas that need work right now it is in goal ( Reina - like Suarez and Gerrard has not been replaced ) and up top.. The back 3 or 4 are not conceding as many chances as our rivals - but virtually every chance ends up in our net..

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Khazad-dm
    Posts
    11,037
    … because every chance is either a shot from three yards out or an open goal.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under the Libyan Sun
    Posts
    2,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Roll on Newcastle Indeed....

    7 goals from 126 shots makes all
    focus on the defence seem foolish. Forget the media BS and those who love to latch on to a theme, the facts are stark and our finishing is absolutely pathetic!

    Many argue how the defence are putting pressure on the attack, when is is clear as day that the opposite is closer to the truth.

    Just another in a long line of events surrounding this club where the truth has been turned on its head.

    Imagine playing behind our front 3 or 4 and watching the relentless misses, close calls, last minute tackles and wonder saves dished out by opposition keepers... It surely would make your job all the more nerve wracking..

    If we have 2 areas that need work right now it is in goal ( Reina - like Suarez and Gerrard has not been replaced ) and up top.. The back 3 or 4 are not conceding as many chances as our rivals - but virtually every chance ends up in our net..
    From the top 5 teams, goals conceded:

    Man City: 2
    United: 2
    Chelsea: 5
    Spurs: 5
    Liverpool: 11

    I wouldn't say any truth has been turned on it's head there- they are the hard facts and confirm that in our first 6 games we're nearly conceding 2 goals a match. No attack in the world is going to score 3 goals every game to win a match are they?

    Admittedly, we've been weak in front of goal but I can see that changing soon and an opposition getting a hammering, however, I cannot see us suring up at the back any time soon (especially with either of the 2 currently preferred monk mits between the sticks)...
    She was so wet for me I could hear the waves breaking in her fanny

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Far Foreign Land View Post
    From the top 5 teams, goals conceded:

    Man City: 2
    United: 2
    Chelsea: 5
    Spurs: 5
    Liverpool: 11

    I wouldn't say any truth has been turned on it's head there- they are the hard facts and confirm that in our first 6 games we're nearly conceding 2 goals a match. No attack in the world is going to score 3 goals every game to win a match are they?

    Admittedly, we've been weak in front of goal but I can see that changing soon and an opposition getting a hammering, however, I cannot see us suring up at the back any time soon (especially with either of the 2 currently preferred monk mits between the sticks)...
    Truth on it's head in the sense that the issue is all at the back (I don't include the keeper - we are all clear we need better). It is, IMHO even more of a problem up front. You cannot squander the amount of glaring chances that we do and not be made to pay for it at the other end. You can't just look at our goals conceded and look at it in isolation. If we score a higher percentage of goals at the other end, then plenty of those goals against won't occur. The game is far easier when you are 2 or 3 goals ahead..

    Our style of play means we will concede goals and your point about 2 goals a game has merit except that 5 of those goals came in a 5 nil drubbing by City against 10 men.

    The biggest sample pool by far is our shots to goals ratio (6 goals from 121 shots in our last 6 games = abysmal in any language ) and it is, without a shadow of doubt a complete embarrassment.
    Last edited by Steveo; 28th September 2017 at 02:17 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th July 2017, 08:10 PM
  2. Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp on Mignolet, Karius and hugs
    By Liverpool Echo in forum LFC News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th December 2016, 12:00 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th November 2016, 02:20 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17th September 2016, 10:50 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •