Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Rafas Newcastle

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/41392653

Newcastle v Liverpool (16:30 BST)

After watching Newcastle's defeat by Brighton last weekend, I was left thinking the Magpies have got a lot of work to do to stay in the Premier League.

Yes, Rafael Benitez's side had won their previous three matches but they did not create much against the Seagulls, let alone show that they have got anything to trouble the big teams.

The Magpies are good at attacking set-pieces, and Liverpool are obviously not very good at defending them - but I think the Reds will keep a clean sheet too because other than free-kicks and corners, the home side might not offer very much.

Newcastle's defence is going to have to be one of their strengths this season, and under Rafael Benitez it will be.

It will be fascinating to see how Benitez sets his team up, and they will be very competitive, but I don't see them keeping his old club quiet.

If you offered Rafa a point now he would probably snap your hand off - but I think Liverpool will take all three.

Lawro's prediction: 0-2

Shiflett's prediction: 2-3

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/41376504

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Guy Mowbray: "Rafa Benitez's name will be sung, flags will wave and, pre-match at least, Newcastle fans will have every reason to feel good.

"Could two who have 'been bad' be key to a result that keeps the feeling?

"A contrite Jonjo Shelvey is itching to be recalled against his former club, and the Magpies might need his creativity.

"Aleksandar Mitrovic is available again too, and could be just the sort Liverpool's defence wouldn't want to see come into the game.

"The Reds main focus, as ever, is at the other end. They're almost certain to score - it's a question of how many will be enough to win."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Newcastle have won four and drawn one of their last six home games against Liverpool.
    However, the Magpies' 72 defeats to the Reds is their most against any top-flight opponent.
    There has not been a goalless draw in this fixture since 1974, a run of 67 meetings.
    Newcastle United

Newcastle have suffered just two defeats in 15 league games at home, winning 10.
    They could win three of their opening four home Premier League matches for the first time in 10 years.
    Rafael Benitez is unbeaten in all four matches as a manager against Liverpool - beating them home and away in the Champions League with Valencia, and drawing with Chelsea and Newcastle.
    Benitez won 134 points in his opening 74 league games as Liverpool manager - Jurgen Klopp has one point more over the same period.
    Dwight Gayle scored four goals in four outings for Crystal Palace versus Liverpool - his best record against a Premier League opponent.

Liverpool

Liverpool have conceded 10 times in three away games - their worst record in the Premier League.
    However, the Reds have won five of the last eight Premier League away matches, losing just once.
    Philippe Coutinho has scored 16 Premier League goals from outside the penalty area for Liverpool.
    Coutinho's four successful free kicks since the start of last season is the best individual record in the five major European leagues.
    Daniel Sturridge has scored seven goals in seven starts against Newcastle.
    Liverpool are unbeaten in their last 23 Premier League matches in October, winning 13.

Sam says most probable scoreline a 1-1 draw.

Probability of results
    Draw 24%
    Away win 56%
    Home win 20%

How is selecting a different back 5 every game supposed to help defensive solidity? Defenders don't need resting at this time of the season so why not just decide which are the best back 5 and stick with it?

Win this and we’re 4th, level on points with Spurs in 3rd. Not bad considering our disastrous September.

We should win this, Newcastle are a bit shit. Right ?

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Win this and we’re 4th, level on points with Spurs in 3rd. Not bad considering our disastrous September.
    Let's just make sure we win first before we start counting up points that we haven't earned..

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    We should win this, Newcastle are a bit shit. Right ?
    They're a championship side, who've spent 20m net in the summer.

To think, we have people complaining about FSG not backing Klopp.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Quite right, I know the game’s tomorrow but it hasn’t actually happened yet so let’s not discuss it or how the result might affect us.

I mean..what do I think this is ..a football forum ? 🙄

So if we’re only discussing things that have actually happened, would you mind deleting 80% of your posts mate ?

Cheers.