Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Rafas Newcastle

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Benitez was saying that when he joined us, his budget was 20m, when he left it was 17m, but people still expected him to win the league.
    Rafa
    "When I arrived at Liverpool, the budget was 20mill gross (!). When I left, it was 17mill, but still people said I must win the title, I must compete...
    United had around 50mill more every year, but but people said I had to compete against them every year. After there was Chelsea... At that time, it was Chelsea Arsenal and Manchester United. Now you have Manchester City and Tottenham, as well as PSG and the others. But it's always been similar... There are massive clubs with massive amounts of money and Liverpool were always a little behind...How can you win trophies ? You have to create a good team with a great atmosphere and work hard and then you can get there.... The reality is, the teams that have won the title , probably 90% of the time , are the teams with the most money.

... In the dark days when David Moores and Rick Parry were in charge, it was really, really good. They were people who really understood football. They could really understand the fans and the manager and the players. Unfortunately that board didn't have the money to compete against the top sides and he had to sell... In terms of the way they were running the club it was like a family, very close. I was quite confident. Then everything changed, they changed directors and owners and ran it more as a business rather than a football club. The team was improving but other teams came in with so much money and it was impossible"
    ----------------------
    Legend #showkloppzemoney

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Benitez was saying that when he joined us, his budget was 20m, when he left it was 17m, but people still expected him to win the league.
    Fucksake.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I don't get this "due a hiding" attitude. Why? Surely missing multiple chances and creating precious few great ones is more likely an indication we'll continue to miss chances and not create enough good ones as we have up until now.
    I just think that we'll click soon. Might only be against one team but itll happen. Dont think we can miss so many chances every game. By this time last season we'd had a couple of hammerings dished out, weve got a better squad now so in theory..........

But we don't miss that many chances every game. We have plenty of shots, sure, but few of them are from good positions. Only in Russia did we actually miss quite a few.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I just think that we'll click soon. Might only be against one team but itll happen. Dont think we can miss so many chances every game. By this time last season we'd had a couple of hammerings dished out, weve got a better squad now so in theory..........
    According to some we are no better than when Jurgen took over .

The main thing Im hanging on to is that we were on fire at the start of last season and what initially knocked us off our stride was the constant International break interruptions with the third one being the final straw. This time, weve started slowly but are still in touch. If we can get into a rhythm by the end of all this International crap, with no AFCON, theres no reason why we cant go on a real run and put ourselves in a strong position.
    Season just beginning, still optimistic, particularly if we win today.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    But we don't miss that many chances every game. We have plenty of shots, sure, but few of them are from good positions. Only in Russia did we actually miss quite a few.
    That's why folk see it coming after that last game.

win today and we are in the top 4.. with them lot to come at home after the international break.. need a good win today!!
    Leader of all..master of none..

Liverpool team: Mignolet, Gomez, Matip, Lovren, Moreno, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Coutinho, Salah, Mane, Sturridge.

Substitutes: Karius, Klavan, Milner, Can, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Firmino, Solanke.
    Leader of all..master of none..

Resting the two players that the majority of fans wanted resting. Sturridge for firmino is an interesting one. Hope it works well. Surely Sturridge is due a really good game and a couple of goals.
    Bit sorry to see Bobby on the bench, but I understand it.