Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coutinho and our attacking output

Coutinho and our attacking output

Apparently since the start of last season, Phil has played 32.3 games worth of minutes (2244) and has 17 goals and 12 assists in that.

I occasionally find myself fluttering into the "sell and use the money to buy a defence" camp, but when you see the above laid out in front of you, it'd take a properly extortionate fee for me to entertain letting him go.

We're on the up (as are a couple of other English sides) at just the time that a few of the European sides (Real Madrid, Barcelona despite a good League campaign, Bayern Munich, Juventus) beginning to show signs of mortality/in the Autumn of footballing cycles so keeping again would be massive, especially with Keita coming in.

Gets you thinking - there's every chance our "front four" will ALL reach 15+ goals this season - very encouraging indeed in terms of distributing things, rather than relying on Suarez+Sturridge or Torres+Gerrard.

Plus rumours re-surfacing of adding bloody Aubameyang to that? (Seriously, can we get centre-back and keeper sorted first?!?!)
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

By far my favourite player since sturridges decline, although Salah is making generous strides in that regard each week. Salah, mane and firmino likely chalk up higher goal and assist numbers (esp since they've been higher up more recently) but coutinho's capacity to score worldly's and win us games from nothing is often taken for granted.

Hope he stays for atleast one more season where he has a decent defense behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Apparently since the start of last season, Phil has played 32.3 games worth of minutes (2244) and has 17 goals and 12 assists in that.

I occasionally find myself fluttering into the "sell and use the money to buy a defence" camp, but when you see the above laid out in front of you, it'd take a properly extortionate fee for me to entertain letting him go.

We're on the up (as are a couple of other English sides) at just the time that a few of the European sides (Real Madrid, Barcelona despite a good League campaign, Bayern Munich, Juventus) beginning to show signs of mortality/in the Autumn of footballing cycles so keeping again would be massive, especially with Keita coming in.

Gets you thinking - there's every chance our "front four" will ALL reach 15+ goals this season - very encouraging indeed in terms of distributing things, rather than relying on Suarez+Sturridge or Torres+Gerrard.

Plus rumours re-surfacing of adding bloody Aubameyang to that? (Seriously, can we get centre-back and keeper sorted first?!?!)
    He would be an irreplaceable loss, there are so few players with his ability in world football, as Barcelona and their repeated tapping up goes to suggest, he occupies 2 or 3 players when in flow and on form.

Keita is all very well, but as yet is an unknown quantity in the Premier League and he is unlikely to offer the same creative drive that Coutinho does.

As for relying on Suarez and Sturridge, well that’s two world class strikers ( Sturridge before he broke ) and we also had a young Coutinho, Gerrard and a rampant Sterling too, people forget that side and just how many weapons were at our disposal, we haven’t got close to that level since. I very much doubt we will score as many this season. The one consistent theme is a certain goalkeeper - who needs shifting faster than a turd on ice..!

Last season was, by far, his best at the club.

I'm surprised this is news to anyone.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    He would be an irreplaceable loss, there are so few players with his ability in world football, as Barcelona and their repeated tapping up goes to suggest, he occupies 2 or 3 players when in flow and on form.

Keita is all very well, but as yet is an unknown quantity in the Premier League and he is unlikely to offer the same creative drive that Coutinho does.

As for relying on Suarez and Sturridge, well that’s two world class strikers ( Sturridge before he broke ) and we also had a young Coutinho, Gerrard and a rampant Sterling too, people forget that side and just how many weapons were at our disposal, we haven’t got close to that level since. I very much doubt we will score as many this season. The one consistent theme is a certain goalkeeper - who needs shifting faster than a turd on ice..!
    Salah, Mane and Firmino aren't too shabby and we still have Coutinho and Sturridge (the latter of which is done).

Getting some sort of replacement for Gerrard and Carra is badly needed. It's no coincidence that Klopp is after Keita and VvD then. Keep your toys in the pram, we're heading in the right direction.
    My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRC View Post
    Salah, Mane and Firmino aren't too shabby and we still have Coutinho and Sturridge (the latter of which is done).

Getting some sort of replacement for Gerrard and Carra is badly needed. It's no coincidence that Klopp is after Keita and VvD then. Keep your toys in the pram, we're heading in the right direction.
    Toys? Pram?

Without wanting to slip over your polishing over of some rather large cracks - the point is that coutinho is virtually out the door and we all know Sturridge is dead wood...

The concern here is all about the loss of Coutinho, you might be falling into the same trap many did when we were about to lose Alonso.

Suarez was possibly the best player in the world when we sold him and the club is still standing. Suarez was replaced with Balotelli and Lambert while leaving a crippled Sturridge behind.

Coutinho's not as good, won't be replaced quite so ineptly (FSG do tend to learn from their mistakes) and leaves us with Mane, Firmino and Salah. I don't want us to sell him unless we're forced to, but he isn't irreplacable like say Gerrard was in his prime. Make no mistake, he'd leave a huge gap, but one fixable with brick and mortar, not a crater, that only tectonic movements can erase.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

He's leaving at some point, so get use to it, we'll live, it's just about getting the transfers right.

What's changed? Are we binning him next month now? Bend over, Barca are coming.

This forum has been bracing itself for the sale of Coutinho for a couple of years already.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    He's leaving at some point, so get use to it, we'll live, it's just about getting the transfers right.
    I'm still trying to come to terms with us selling Ben Woodburn to Real Madrid.