Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314151617181922 ... LastLast

Thread: Contracts and Squad

To be fair Keita started to look much better at the end of the season..He didn't start much and had a lot of injuries. so had a stop start season.
    If Firmino drops into midfield.a fit Oxlade will be vital he can break off Firmino centrally.Last season we struggled getting quick midfielders to break with pace beyond firmino.
    Its amazing how we struggled with our midfielders for most of last season and we still finished with 97 points and won the European cup
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Allisson

Trent Matip Van Dijk Robertson

Henderson Fabinho Keita

Salah Firmino Mane

Easily our best 11 right now, Matip's well ahead of Gomez for me, moved up several levels towards the end of the season, outshone Big Virgil in a few games, far better awareness than Gomez, nicking the ball off players feet and making interceptions where Joe would have been having to slide in, big difference
    Why? Because that started the last game?

Football isn't as simplistic as that
    “We have to change, from doubters to believers—now.”

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Don’t need to give him a break. He didn’t show much at all last season, he’s not a kid coming through. Every other outfield player Klopp has brought in, has managed to show his worth in his first season. If his second season pans out like his first we’ll be in Aquilani Territory.
    Are you Joetan in disguise.

Edit Keita

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    To be fair Keita started to look much better at the end of the season..He didn't start much and had a lot of injuries. so had a stop start season.
    If Firmino drops into midfield.a fit Oxlade will be vital he can break off Firmino centrally.Last season we struggled getting quick midfielders to break with pace beyond firmino.
    Its amazing how we struggled with our midfielders for most of last season and we still finished with 97 points and won the European cup
    Agreed

But also Keita in the league was a soft touch

He played well v Bournemouth h/a

Because it's a footballing team

One instance for example v Soton

Knocked off the ball way to easily

But then scores a goal

Confidence, injuries, all affect him

No Aldo mate I’ve been going to Anfield since 70/71. I just have a different opinion to you over a player. Hope that’s not too upsetting for you.

I would say coming into midfield and hitting the ground running is usually the most difficult. As fullbacks you usually just run up and down the line sometimes coming inside to cover the centre backs. Forwards just have to cover the top of the pitch. defenders their own segments. But in midfield you are expected to run all over and be in the right positions all the time. so you don't get caught either to deep or to forward.
    Time will tell if Keita is up to it. But he needs to given the time and play regular to get into form. which maybe difficult.

We seemed to have done extremely well In finding Fabinho. He kooks to be solid enough in the DF and looks composed. You always worry that a DF will cause issues while defending if he gets under pressure with the opposition.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Yep Fabinho has been excellent, once he found his feet. No one is saying get rid of Keita, merely he has to do a lot better than he’s shown thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    No Aldo mate I’ve been going to Anfield since 70/71. I just have a different opinion to you over a player. Hope that’s not too upsetting for you.
    For someone who has been going to Anfield since the 70's you should know not to write a player off to early. I was born in the mid 70's and I've witnessed the best and worst of our club. I'd never write a player off after one season, especially one signed by a manager who is as special as Jurgen is and who get the club and City as he does.

By the way I'm not upset that you don't rate Kieta. I'm just disappointed in you for not giving him a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Why? Because that started the last game?

Football isn't as simplistic as that
    It didn't start the last game, football is quite simplistic, but not as simplistic as some people think.

I refer to our achiles heel all season, a lack of creativity in midfield, and our only really weakness being regularly exposed on our right against park the bus teams.

Most seem to have forgotten that park the bus teams countering down our right was an issue all season until the midfield change in the second half v Southampton at St Marys, then it was magically fixed, as I had said prior to that change that it would be.

I know why that changed worked, it is simple and obvious, but most people are in denial that issue ever existed it would seem and want to straight away ditch our captain and put any number of players in the position that will immediately lead to the issue resurfacing. With any other of our midfielders at RCM, we don't win last season's Champions League, people are mentioning players getting beyond Firminho and quickly linking with the strikers, who assisted the first goal in the Champions League second leg? Scored one and assisted 5 in 9 games after that move? It's not rocket science, it works, it gives us the balance of defensive solidity down our right and right to centre and more assists from midfield and means we are able to press higher as a unit and stop balls for potential counters being played a lot of the time.

Certain things work for numerous interconnected reasons, that's what finding balance in certain areas is all about, the combined skills of Keita Fabinho and Henderson in midfield probably gives us our best balance, the potential for more goals and assists from midfield, hugely reduced threat on the counter and makes us even tougher to break down defensively and unless we make a signing in that area will likely be our best midfield next season.

It has incredible balance because the LCM and RCM both attack in different ways, so in combination with the full backs it gives us greater possibilities to score goals and for the midfield to provide assists and more points of attack. The LCM and RCM both have a lot of experience of playing as DM and playing box to box, so that gives more protection to our full backs, CB's and Fabinho and gives him more license to get higher up the pitch and get involved in attacks to, because he's secure in doing that with that balance.

So yes, it's very simplistic, we need our RCM to have exceptional defensive ability, responsibility and awareness as well as the ability to get forward, create assists, score goals, lead the press, know when to attack or when to cover Trent's runs and Fabinho's (all of which comes with that experience) as that facilitates the entire team playing better.

It's not as simplistic as sticking any old player in there you 'think' has greater attacking ability and sacrificing the balance and support for Trent and Fabinho that allows them to perform to higher levels I agree

Last edited by Nineteenx; 22nd June 2019 at 03:04 AM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”