Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 478910111213141516171819202124 ... LastLast

Thread: Contracts and Squad

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Enjoy mate. Just don’t try and keep pace with dicko’s wine consumption if you do.
    Cheers mate, I'd love to try and go drink for drink with Dicko but I think he enjoys red!

You say about our lack of creativity

But Fabinho and Henderson made chances. Stats prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    Cheers mate, I'd love to try and go drink for drink with Dicko but I think he enjoys red!
    I haven't had red wine for some time.

Beer through the summertime.

Wine for Autumn/ winter

Would be a pleasure to have a beer with you both.

Where are you going to in france?

Ferry / fly?

So 19x

Where does Fernandes fit into your plans for LFC?

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    I haven't had red wine for some time.

Beer through the summertime.

Wine for Autumn/ winter

Would be a pleasure to have a beer with you both.

Where are you going to in france?

Ferry / fly?
    I'm off to Lille, will be happy to meet up for a drink or two if you are in the vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    I'm off to Lille, will be happy to meet up for a drink or two if you are in the vicinity.
    Nice town Lille
    Friendly
    They like biere Blanche

Pm me
    “We have to change, from doubters to believers—now.”

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    So 19x

Where does Fernandes fit into your plans for LFC?
    Everywhere, extremely versatile player, LCM, RCM, 10 for Firmino when it suits, with his delivery with either foot can almost certainly do a very decent job at LFWD or RFWD when needed to and with his younger career as a midfield enforcer can almost certainly play DM too once he's settled. That's six positions and Jurgen does love versatility in players. As I've stated before, it's a tricky one, because we need such a player long term and that amount of versatility with quality is a very rare thing indeed, the issue is, that while Lallana and Shaqiri are 'hanging on' to the rest of the squads coat tails, we don't necessarily need him this season, but he won't be available next summer and it is highly unlikely there'll be another such player available for some time.

Milner we need to keep for as long as he can perform at the levels he does and because of his leadership and experience, but he's what? 33 now? Hendo's 29 now, Bobby 29, so fast forward a season and Lallana and Shaqiri will have gone, maybe Milner, Hendo will be 30, Bobby 30 and we have an opportunity to bring in a player that is an excellent fit, has more creativity and goalscoring potential and set piece ability from direct free kicks and he has the defensive awareness and responsibility we need and he is another who has captained his club side, so it's a no brainer for me, he gives us everything we need and that we'd lose a lot of when Milner goes and as Henderson and Bobby age.

And as we've seen with Lallana, Lovren, Shaqiri and Sturridge, when the team evolves it can reach levels that are above that of some players who were previously very good at the level we were at, but not all the players are able to continually step up and raise their games to higher levels, Wij in general has been excellent, but his returns have dwindled season on season as our levels have risen, so it's possible Wij could be only 'a good squad player' by next summer.

Everyone seems to agree we can't stand still, that involves planning for the long term future and the not too distant future and Fernandes fits in perfectly, he's just a season too early with Lallana and Shaqiri clinging on, but Henderson and Milner are pretty rare and I'm always looking for players thinking who can possibly come in and replace what they offer in the long term and there just aren't any players out there who fit the bill, the only one for me who does is Fernandes
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

We don't buy players as long term replacements anymore. That was in the good old days when we dominated and players like Hansen McDermott Nicol and others spent time in the reserves, learning the Liverpool way. When we buy now, they don't wait that long to get their chance. Also, the need wasn't as great back then as we were successful.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    We don't buy players as long term replacements anymore. That was in the good old days when we dominated and players like Hansen McDermott Nicol and others spent time in the reserves, learning the Liverpool way. When we buy now, they don't wait that long to get their chance. Also, the need wasn't as great back then as we were successful.
    Yes but he wouldn't be waiting for a chance, he can improve our midfield and options for several positions immediately and it's important that whatever positions he is used in he gets the experience of learning from the players already doing certain roles

One of the issues a lot of clubs have since the reserves as it was has gone is they let a player go before bringing in a replacement, you can see it at Real and Barca and Bayern, then they're faced with a suitable player being available, Barcelona really struggling on that front AND like at Barca with Coutniho's move, that player being immediately under pressure to perform at the levels of the player he replaced, as well as a huge transfer fee, it's just plain dumb
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 22nd June 2019 at 04:40 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Little update.

Expiring Summer '20

Joel Matip - proven to be very useful, though wouldn't surprise me if we're aiming to recruit-from-within in time, or upgrade via the market. Really impressed once settled beside Van Dijk for prolonged spell.
    Adam Lallana (optional additional year) - suspect he'll see out his contract but nothing further.
    Nathaniel Clyne - looks to be on his way out of the club.
    Divock Origi - Barcelona and Tottenham exploits mean he may see out his contract, doubt we'll extend it.

Expiring Summer '21

Dejan Lovren - suspect he will see out his contract, but I'd personally welcome a buyer with a view to continual improvement of our options.
    Simon Mignolet - suspect he'll depart when we can attract a buyer, with a view to getting a keeper that suits our needs that little bit better. To his credit seems to have accepted that Alisson is at a much higher level and seems quiet in terms of not complaining about playing time.

Expiring Summer '22

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - sincerely hope he's able to get to pre-injury levels. Great player on his day.

Expiring Summer '23 or later

Mohamed Salah
    Sadio Mane
    Roberto Firmino
    Naby Keita
    Virgil Van Dijk
    Fabinho
    Jordan Henderson
    Xherdan Shaqiri
    Andrew Robertson
    Alexander-Arnold ('24)
    Alisson ('24)
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay