Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 691011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Contracts and Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    they've assembled the best Liverpool squad in thirty years.
    Really..? I mean really..?

Well I guess we will be fine and dandy whoever is in charge then, who needs Klopp with such dynamic owners? That bang average squad of September 2015 was obviously the embryonic stage of the best Liverpool squad in 30 years..

Robertson would naturally have gone on to be World Class whoever he played for - as for Bobby - he was just pretending to be ordinary in the late summer of 2015... Leave it to the Boston stranglers I say,. It’s all about that scientific approach eh - those eagle eyed statisticians...They can spend less than Bournemouth and build the best squad around.. We can relax even if Klopp won’t sign that extension guys and gals.

Sorry Bali - but that nugget really did make me chuckle...

Getting more money from a player than you normally would is never bad, surely?

Even if I put on my tinfoil hat, I'd argue that if they wanted to drain the club of all its money at a steady rate (say 90% go to them), the more money there is, the more remains for the club.

Now obviously I wouldn't do that as they've assembled the best Liverpool squad in thirty years, but I will try to understand your thinking on the matter.
    'They' have assembled very little. Klopp plus the assistance from the likes of Coutinho has assembled a very good first XI, but he hasn't been given enough to purchase as good a first XI as he/we could/should be allowed to, and definitely not a quality squad worthy of the current CL winners and back to back finalists.

Klopp has a net spend pa of £30m. Given our position, our record revenues, the areas of our team/squad that obviously need improving and our lack of activity suggests that Klopp isn't being given the commensurate funds to address issues which a manager of his undoubted quality and intellect would no doubt be clearly able to see. If a limit has been put on what he'll be given to spend each season, it doesn't matter (within reason) who we sell, and for what, as Klopp isn't getting that money to spend whether it's £15 or £15m. Is getting more money bad? No. Is it good? Certainly for our owners, not so much for us/Klopp who'd like to be able to reinvest that money on top of what he/we've earned back into the team/squad.

You obviously think our resurgence is down to FSG. I think it's more down to the man they hired as a result of their desire to try and be successful on the cheap. It was lucky for them/us that Klopp was available as I dread to think where we'd be under any other manager if they were only given £30m a year to spend.

Getting more money from a player than you normally would is never bad, surely?

Even if I put on my tinfoil hat, I'd argue that if they wanted to drain the club of all its money at a steady rate (say 90% go to them), the more money there is, the more remains for the club.

Now obviously I wouldn't do that as they've assembled the best Liverpool squad in thirty years, but I will try to understand your thinking on the matter.
    Come on Bali, everyone knows you sear and cook a steak in it's own juices, no need for oil to be added.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    'They' have assembled very little. Klopp plus the assistance from the likes of Coutinho has assembled a very good first XI, but he hasn't been given enough to purchase as good a first XI as he/we could/should be allowed to, and definitely not a quality squad worthy of the current CL winners and back to back finalists.

Klopp has a net spend pa of £30m. Given our position, our record revenues, the areas of our team/squad that obviously need improving and our lack of activity suggests that Klopp isn't being given the commensurate funds to address issues which a manager of his undoubted quality and intellect would no doubt be clearly able to see. If a limit has been put on what he'll be given to spend each season, it doesn't matter (within reason) who we sell, and for what, as Klopp isn't getting that money to spend whether it's £15 or £15m. Is getting more money bad? No. Is it good? Certainly for our owners, not so much for us/Klopp who'd like to be able to reinvest that money on top of what he/we've earned back into the team/squad.

You obviously think our resurgence is down to FSG. I think it's more down to the man they hired as a result of their desire to try and be successful on the cheap. It was lucky for them/us that Klopp was available as I dread to think where we'd be under any other manager if they were only given £30m a year to spend.
    Who would you like as our owners?

Pretty sure if Klopp had a target, then he would have got him.

First XI is very strong.
    The squad is strong too.

If they weren't they wouldn't have got to not one , but 2 CL finals in 2 seasons.

I guess Klopp and the owners know better than us armchair, computer, Android bashing folk.

@Noods @steveo -

so you're saying Abramovich and the Arabs handle their transfers personally? Scout the players, get in touch with them… that sort of thing? Because if that's not it, what the hell are you talking about? Businessmen delegating work to their employees shocker! How dare they?!

Come on guys - there's plenty to whinge and moan about FSG (including the low net spend and the stadium expansion, as you so eloquently pointed out), but this is not one of those things.

Aslo yes, it might pain both of you, but those eagle eyed statisticians are the ones presenting Klopp with transfer targets. It's not the boot room, it's not the scouts. It's several maths phds. As I've said many times - with enough data and knowhow how to use it, you don't actually need to watch a ball be kicked to be more informed than the best scouts in the land.

@Noods - FSG hired Klopp. Do you expect Henry to sit in the dugout and manage the team himself?

Also is this, or is this not the best LFC squad since the glory days? It's certainly the best I've seen, but I am very young. Are we or are we not challenging for the biggest trophies in football at the moment? Last season we certainly were.

Edit: Your attitude towards them is genuinely absurd. You bash FSG for the dumb shite they do, yet refuse to give them any credit for anything good they come up with! Why? Praise them when they get something right and criticise them when they deserve it. That's what we try to do with players, no? Why not apply the same standards to our owners? Did they fuck your wives or something?

And signing this young player on a longer contract is a win in anyone's book!
    Last edited by Balinkay; 18th August 2019 at 07:25 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Pretty sure if Klopp had a target, then he would have got him.

First XI is very strong.
    The squad is strong too.

If they weren't they wouldn't have got to not one , but 2 CL finals in 2 seasons.

I guess Klopp and the owners know better than us armchair, computer, Android bashing folk.
    Didnt you say he was after 2 targets according to your hearings. Think you said Deligt was one but given those wages can see why he passed.
    The other surely Mbappe who I suspect hes waiting on till 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Didnt you say he was after 2 targets according to your hearings. Think you said Deligt was one but given those wages can see why he passed.
    The other surely Mbappe who I suspect hes waiting on till 2020.
    We need Jasper and Fulby!
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    Who would you like as our owners?
    Be great if Kenny could buy the club

We need Jasper and Fulby!
    Exactly, the forum oils.