Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Contracts and Squad

Klopp isn’t the quickest Liverpool manager ever to accumulate 300 points by accident.

Also namecalling Taksin is really classy. Way to get a dig in at him, even though we've been talking about you obsession with FSG for years before he started posting more regularly.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Why do I feel like I am having a conversation with Rain man?

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Also namecalling Taksin is really classy. Way to get a dig in at him, even though we've been talking about you obsession with FSG for years before he started posting more regularly.
    Taksin deserves every name I have called him and more. He is deliberately trying to cause a beef where there is none. He got what he deserved Bali...

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Taksin deserves every name I have called him and more. He is deliberately trying to cause a beef where there is none. He got what he deserved Bali...
    Is he though? I've certainly not seen that. Talk to the guy - open a thread, have a civilised discussion! I'd love to read it, as I'm sure everyone would. No more of this evasive cross-thread snideyness. Just get it out and move past it so the forum doesn't get clogged up in every thread with this.

Also I'm not sure who's Rain man - was he the autistic maths genius? If so, calling me that is a grave offence to all autistic people around the world.

But back to the point - do you or do you not want Henry to get down from Boston and coach the squad himself?
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Klopp isn’t the quickest Liverpool manager ever to accumulate 300 points by accident.
    True - it isn’t all down to Klopp and to be fair that would be a very daft position take. The owners have to take some credit even if only for employing him - but more than that for creating the environment. This is something that I have never challenged at any point. What I do challenge is the fact that our success is down to them. I personally believe it is mostly down to Klopp. The guy who won to titles and challenged Bayern with Guardiola and who took them to a CL final beating Madrid or was it Barca 4 mil in the process?

Klopp was well known as a manager who could challenge the bet with a conservative budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Is he though? I've certainly not seen that. Talk to the guy - open a thread, have a civilised discussion! I'd love to read it, as I'm sure everyone would. No more of this evasive cross-thread snideyness. Just get it out and move past it so the forum doesn't get clogged up in every thread with this.

Also I'm not sure who's Rain man - was he the autistic maths genius? If so, calling me that is a grave offence to all autistic people around the world.

But back to the point - do you or do you not want Henry to get down from Boston and coach the squad himself?
    It was a joke Bali - Rain man was autistic - my older Brother happens to be too (Aspergers). It’s nothing to be ashamed of either.

As for Henry - I could t care less what he does as long as he facilitated whatever Klopp wants..

I know what you mean - my best mate is "somewhere on the spectrum" (he's not been more specific). Just one of those things. Not a lot can be done as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    True - it isn’t all down to Klopp and to be fair that would be a very daft position take. The owners have to take some credit even if only for employing him - but more than that for creating the environment. This is something that I have never challenged at any point. What I do challenge is the fact that our success is down to them. I personally believe it is mostly down to Klopp. The guy who won to titles and challenged Bayern with Guardiola and who took them to a CL final beating Madrid or was it Barca 4 mil in the process?

Klopp was well known as a manager who could challenge the bet with a conservative budget.
    Oh would it now? Good to hear.

Now what exactly are our owners meant to do more than continuously improve the squad and hire the best people for their respective jobs at the club and let them work their magic? I.e. the maths phds and Klopp? What exactly more can they do?

The first answer you can give is "BIGGER STADIUM", which is fair enough. I'm rather suspicious of their new course when it comes to the expansion.

The second is "MOAR NET SPEND". Which, again, is fair enough. But it is also important to note that net spend is a means to an end. Namely assembling a good squad. This is the BEST squad this club has had in 30 years (I gather you agree, since you've not actively objected to that statement). It's not developing as fast as we'd like, but its development since Klopp and Edwards have come in has been about as good as it gets in football. I can't think of a single club that has developed their squad so much in that time in the entire division. Can't think of one on the continent either, but I do have less of an overview there.

It's all good steveo - we're back challenging for things and have a good manager. Times are not perfect, but they're pretty great. The big evil Yank isn't hiding in your closed getting ready to steal your pic-i-nic basket.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 18th August 2019 at 09:33 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

But who is continuously improving the squad and when did that start? For me it started with the patience of Klopp in 2015.

Best squad in 30 years is very debatable. The squad of 2009 in Klopp’s hands? Hmm I honestly don’t know - midfield was in a different class altogether. Mascherano Alonso Gerrard ...!!!! Front line was comparable - less of a dynamic cast in babel and Kuyt either side of Torres but more of an out an out striker than any we have now - very effective. Aurelio, Carra, Skrtel and Arbeloa in front of Reina... That’s a great team there.. In the hands of Klopp - I honestly do not know which squad is better but my hunch is 2009. Rated number 1 side in europe.

As for how far and fast we have come since 2015 - well - what’s the obvious major change?

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    'They' have assembled very little. Klopp plus the assistance from the likes of Coutinho has assembled a very good first XI, but he hasn't been given enough to purchase as good a first XI as he/we could/should be allowed to, and definitely not a quality squad worthy of the current CL winners and back to back finalists.

Klopp has a net spend pa of £30m. Given our position, our record revenues, the areas of our team/squad that obviously need improving and our lack of activity suggests that Klopp isn't being given the commensurate funds to address issues which a manager of his undoubted quality and intellect would no doubt be clearly able to see. If a limit has been put on what he'll be given to spend each season, it doesn't matter (within reason) who we sell, and for what, as Klopp isn't getting that money to spend whether it's £15 or £15m. Is getting more money bad? No. Is it good? Certainly for our owners, not so much for us/Klopp who'd like to be able to reinvest that money on top of what he/we've earned back into the team/squad.

You obviously think our resurgence is down to FSG. I think it's more down to the man they hired as a result of their desire to try and be successful on the cheap. It was lucky for them/us that Klopp was available as I dread to think where we'd be under any other manager if they were only given £30m a year to spend.
    Not a squad worthy of CL winners and back to back finalists.........
    Yet theyve done both those things.
    Weve won the CL, pretty much the pinnacle of world club football. It wasnt a lucky win either, it was fully desereved beating 3 of thr best in europe.
    I genuinley dont see why you and Steveo have such issues with FSG. Aside from go down the City route which we cant and most fans wouldnt want theres not a lot else they can do better.