Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Contracts and Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Benitez scored fewer and conceded more that season than we did last time. If he were more conservatinve and equally good with an equally good squad, he'd not have conceded 22% more league goals.
    You seem be ruled by statistics - the generic composition of the league in any given year is an irrelevance for you? Manchester City are the best team in the world ever and that means that the league is tougher now than it was in 2009.. Sorry but this is madness for me.

Don't strawman me and try to weasel your way out. Torres in that season contrubited just about the same goals Bobby contributed last season. Also Bobby does a hell of a lot more other than score goals than Torres could ever dream of. Yes, in the context of that season, you're damn right Bobby was better. On his day El Niño was the best striker in the world bar none. Shame he was made of biscuits.
    Not sure what the heck you are on about Bali... You started the comparison between the two players.

Was it less competitive, or was it just less competitive for City and us? Because Arsenal were fourth in 2009 with 72 points. Spurs were fourth last time around with… drumroll… 71 points. Relegation was 34 points both times. Seems like teams picked up a similar amount of points, except the two top teams, one of which coincidentally won the CL and the other would have likely faced them in the final but for a freak VAR decision. Moreover, Spurs made it to the CL final and Arsenal and Chelsea made it to the EL final. The league is not easy. Not by a long shot, especially considering how much richer it is today than ever before. We just had an insane season.
    We did have an insane season but IMO the league was less competitive. Goals scored and points won are not the only marker Bali.

I'd be surprised if anyone bar City got to 90 points this year. Think we could, but we can't stay injury free for ever.
    Who knows what the hell will happen... ? We could easily gain o more than 85 points and win the title, seasons are rarely the same.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Seeing as though we seem to be talking hyperthetically. If we had the 08-09 midfield with today's team, who would come closer to winning the league with it, Benitez or Klopp ?
    I love Rafa to bits but I believe Klopp is far bolder and a significantly better manager. Just my opinion. If we had that amazing midfield it would likely affect our front 3 goal ratio though so who the heck knows. One thing is for certain - Klopp would bite your arm off for any of that trio..

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I love Rafa to bits but I believe Klopp is far bolder and a significantly better manager. Just my opinion. If we had that amazing midfield it would likely affect our front 3 goal ratio though so who the heck knows. One thing is for certain - Klopp would bite your arm off for any of that trio..
    I'm sure he would Steveo.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Is he though? I've certainly not seen that. Talk to the guy - open a thread, have a civilised discussion! I'd love to read it, as I'm sure everyone would. No more of this evasive cross-thread snideyness. Just get it out and move past it so the forum doesn't get clogged up in every thread with this.

Also I'm not sure who's Rain man - was he the autistic maths genius? If so, calling me that is a grave offence to all autistic people around the world.

But back to the point - do you or do you not want Henry to get down from Boston and coach the squad himself?
    No one would

Whilst we’re all being hypothetical, stick Steven Gerrard at his peak into our current team, and we’d walk the league and CL. It’s such a mouthwatering thought that it actually leaves me feeling quite depressed.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Seeing as though we seem to be talking hyperthetically. If we had the 08-09 midfield with today's team, who would come closer to winning the league with it, Benitez or Klopp ?
    Think you'd have to pick Klopp adding that midfield.
    There'd be so much talent in the side that you'd want Klopp to get that extra bit more from attack.

Alisson
    TAA Gomez/Matip VVD Robertson
    Gerrard Mascherano Alonso
    Salah Firmino Mane

Arguably the best goalkeeper, back 4, midfield 3 and front 3

And in 42X still beautiful
    Alisson
    TAA Gomez/Matip VVD Robbo
    Mascherano Alonso
    Salah Gerrard Mane
    Firmino

Think itd be better suited to 433 with Gerrard breaking from midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    The thing I found mad about N4C leaving was how he just stopped posting. Especially for someone who seemed to be on here 24/7.
    And seemed a really decent fella who's opinions were and are sadly missed.

Nige4C, Wembley86 and the rest, to good health and good football

Also what's with the doing a city stuff.

Since Klopp arrived city have net spent €527.79 mill
    Two years prior to that they net spent €213.04 mill
    Total €740.83

Klopps net spend €82.5 million
    2 seasons prior to Klopp net spend €88.11million

In the 4 seasons before Klopp our net spend was 173.86 million.

You seem be ruled by statistics - the generic composition of the league in any given year is an irrelevance for you? Manchester City are the best team in the world ever and that means that the league is tougher now than it was in 2009.. Sorry but this is madness for me.
    I don't think it's hugely tougher, but City are by far and away better than any team in England at the time over a league season.

Not sure what the heck you are on about Bali... You started the comparison between the two players.
    I compared them in the context of the respective seasons. You're just playing dumb to avoid the uncomfortable task of defending Torres, who didn't contribute nearly enough after his first season with us due to injuries.

We did have an insane season but IMO the league was less competitive. Goals scored and points won are not the only marker Bali.
    You're right, they're not. But they were the quickest ones I could access. Success in Europe is pretty good marker too. Good thing I brought that up as well. Do you have any better ones you'd like to share with the class?

Who knows what the hell will happen... ? We could easily gain o more than 85 points and win the title, seasons are rarely the same.
    That's what we said at the start of last season too though.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

I don't necessarily disagree, but what do you base that on? And yes, that midfield with our attack and defense would construct one of the greatest sides since the turn of the century.

Very tough question. Benitez was less adventurous, but the individual class of our strikers would bail him out more often than it did in 2008/9, like Mane's did against Southampton. Couple that with Gerrard's magic and Benitez's nack for defending, he might sure up our backline even more. But that is a great question.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non