Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chess World Championship 2018 (updates/spoilers)

Chess World Championship 2018 (updates/spoilers)

So I thought I'd make a thread for all three of us that might have a remote interest in following this.

At move 40 of Game 1 Caruana made a move with 3 seconds left on the clock that has turned what looked a near-certain loss for him into what'll undoubtedly be a long and tactical endgame that could lead to a draw.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

I've been watching the chess24 stream for what feels like 78577654 hours.

Magnus is driving me insane with losing that amazing advantage he had.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Draw. Magnus is not in good shape. Before the start I had him winning after tie breaks. Now I think Fabi's chances have somewhat improved.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

It'd be interesting to see if Magnus manages to prolong every game to something like 7 hours. He apparently stated he's physically stronger than Fabi so he might try to wear him down and make his move in the second part of the match.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

What I'm finding interesting is the post-game narrative.

Carlsen missing the chance to win means a lot of people seem to have it down as a Carlsen failure, but given that the essential basics of tournament play are "Win as White, Draw as Black" Magnus has acquired a perfectly good result.

I guess it's the equivalent of saying you'll take a draw before a football match, but if it's 1-1 at full-time when you were 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go and creating chances it "feels like" a loss.

Game Two will be interesting. Eagerly awaiting the "Hello Everyone" analysis from Agadmator. Will probably purchase the Spyro Reignited trilogy at some point to break things up.

I hear what you're saying Sid, but I don't think Magnus will manage to outprepare Fabi too often. And it kind of looked like he did. Being at a steady +6 with more than enough time on the clock and still not finishig the America off will irk Magnus no end.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I hear what you're saying Sid, but I don't think Magnus will manage to outprepare Fabi too often. And it kind of looked like he did. Being at a steady +6 with more than enough time on the clock and still not finishig the America off will irk Magnus no end.
    Fair.

Fabi exhibited some real control with the Black pieces in Game 2.

Will be very intriguing to see how Monday's game goes.

Will have to look at a recap, as I was otherwise engaged, but from the tweets I've read he was never in any danger whatsoever.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

My all time favourite game of chess:-

Huh - how did they predict Kramnik's openings as black at the Candidates'?
    Etiam si omnes, ego non