Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 252829303132333435

Thread: PSG v Liverpool (Match Thread)

Could you elaborate on the blind spot for the midfield Steveo?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Could you elaborate on the blind spot for the midfield Steveo?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
    The focus for me has always been on the press, it can be effective BUT is hard on players - I have yet to see a concerted effort to go to the next level and strive for control of the football. We need better technicians - players who can take the ball at pace and deliver an incisive pass or beat the man in front of them. I know he wanted Fekir - but he waited a year for Keita and then bought Fabinho yet he is still persisting with Henderson...? Strange to say the least

I am not certain by any means but right now he looks caught between to stools.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    The focus for me has always been on the press, it can be effective BUT is hard on players - I have yet to see a concerted effort to go to the next level and strive for control of the football. We need better technicians - players who can take the ball at pace and deliver an incisive pass or beat the man in front of them. I know he wanted Fekir - but he waited a year for Keita and then bought Fabinho yet he is still persisting with Henderson...? Strange to say the least

We arent even pressing like we were last season. Its still there but not as intense. The fact that weve tightened up at the back is probably one the reasons why, that leaves us short on creativity and with a midfield of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner its going to be a struggle to create. Thats why Shaq should be playing far more, same as Keita and Fabinho.
    At this point last year we were all wondering where and when the hell Robertson was going to figure in things. Here we are asking the same of Fabinho. Keita probably would have played more had he been fit.

Agreed.

Just imagine IF Keita, Fabinho and Shaq all start to feature more and end up having a similar impact to Robertson.. That would be a real treat if it came to pass. IF we can stay in the CL and the title mix till after Christmas - we would then be in an incredible position to flourish.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

I think Fabinho is just taking some time to adjust (a la Robbo) and Keita was injured. They both certainly seem to fit the bill of the type of midfield you're describing. Once they're settled in, I can't see Hendo starting too many games as a DM.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

I would say Keita and Fab will bring in an improvement on what we are witnessing (aesthetically at least) now - which isn't that hard, to be brutally honest.

IS that midfield going to be able to dictate the play against the big clubs in Europe...? Not sure - we saw Keita post injury and he looked very good against the likes of West Ham but has been found wanting a little against better sides.

I think Klopp is a little blindsided....caught between a slightly cautious - safety first approach - and the desire to have a more rapier like, penetrating setup with players breaking from the middle, which offers more reward but also comes with more risk.

Has he landed the players to do either approach justice...? hmmm...time will tell

That is my assumption based on the lethargy we are seeing in some of these games.