Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 25 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1518192021222324252627282930313235 ... LastLast

Thread: January?

Morata scored 15 goals in 63 apps for juve.
    He has 16 in 47 for Chelsea. It's actually a myth he prospered in Italy.

His best return was when he returned to real something like a goal every 2 games I think. He's just over rated by the looks.

Precisely. Also Italy - by and large- is the hardest league on the planet to be a prolific goal scorer in. The mentality is centred around defence. Itís in the genes... Thatís why Maradona is still regarded as the Goat In many many parts of the world. What he did in Italy Messi and Ronaldo combined could only dream of.

Just look how easy the Premier league has been for Italian managers to suss.

Premier league is not even close to the toughest league either. Smallest gap between best teams and the worst - perhaps - poor referees - definately... BUT the top teams are rarely even close on a technical level to the top 3 or 4 in Italy or Spain. Yet another Island myth.
    Last edited by Steveo; 11th January 2019 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Hopefully we will come up against Moreno in future.. that's guarantees you at least 2 errors leading to goals. the other day in the fa-cup game against Wolves.. it was going into the last minute of the match and Moreno was up the pitch near the wolves box and he could crossed the ball into the box and create a chance.. all the clown did was chip the ball to the opposition player who was 10ft away.
    Personally I'm heartbroken he's informed Jurgen he's not signing a new contract and will be leaving the club in the summer.....Heartbroken!!....

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Precisely. Also Italy - by and large- is the hardest league on the planet to be a prolific goal scorer in. The mentality is centred around defence. Itís in the genes... Thatís why Maradona is still regarded as the Goat In many many parts of the world. What he did in Italy Messi and Ronaldo combined could only dream of.

Premier league is not even close to the toughest league either. Smallest gap between best teams and the worst - perhaps - poor referees - definately... BUT the top teams are rarely even close on a technical level to the top 3 or 4 in Italy or Spain. Yet another Island myth.
    Old Ronaldo will be the judge of that me thinks.

Also I think the whole "defence is in their genes" has somewhat withered away in recent decades. Iirc the difference in number of goals scored per game has been steadily decreasing, though I could be wrong. It's been years since I've seen that stat.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

You think the top 3 italian sides are better than the top 3 prem sides? Serie A hasnt been anywhere near the premier league for years. Juve have been good but still havent won a European cup for over twenty years.
    The smallest gap between the top and bottom surely means a better and tougher league?

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    You think the top 3 italian sides are better than the top 3 prem sides? Serie A hasnt been anywhere near the premier league for years. Juve have been good but still havent won a European cup for over twenty years.
    The smallest gap between the top and bottom surely means a better and tougher league?
    This is spot on.

Any league (like the Italian League) where you have one or two teams completely dominating the rest of the league and winning year in and year out at a canter, can't be considered a strong league.
    Look at the Scottish league which used to be a two team league until Rangers got relegated and then became a one team league (and now seems set to go back to being a two team league with Rangers' return). When it comes to Europe, they're crap.

Serie A is also the same to some degree with the same club having won 4 years in a row but never closing the deal when it comes to Europe again. Ligue 1 in France would be yet another prime example.

I know people will point to La Liga and say that that's a two team league as well and that those two teams are strong in Europe as well, which is technically true, but La Liga strictly speaking isn't a two team league (outside of La Liga) as other teams do exceedingly well in Europe in the Europa league which has been won by Sevilla and the current defending champions Atletico Madrid who also beat Real the defending CL champs in the Supercup.

The Spanish league is one that's fortunate to be flush with the type of money that other leagues don't have and I guess the weather and culture that attracts talented players (particularly from South America), and which other leagues have a hard time competing with.

Just because the Serie A is a hard league to play in (because of the style of play in Italian football) doesn't automatically mean that the teams are therefore good outside the own league.
    To be precise it's only a portion of me downloaded via satellite.
    This Gynoid's E-brain lacks.........capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Who was talking about better BTW?

I was talking about defending, the difficulty in scoring goals and technical ability.

The Italian game has taken a dip - quite naturally following successive scandals, but they are still far stronger than many fans in this country seem to want to accept.

I think the top 5 Italian clubs will be comfortably ahead of the top 5 clubs in the Premier League technically. Premier League sides have pace and power - but even City are nothing special on a technical level.

Ditto for Spain.. Technically superior right across the league.

Hereís a thought - How many English or British managers have gone to Italy or Spain for that matter and won a title or ANYTHING in the last 20 years?
    Last edited by Steveo; 12th January 2019 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Old Ronaldo will be the judge of that me thinks.

Also I think the whole "defence is in their genes" has somewhat withered away in recent decades. Iirc the difference in number of goals scored per game has been steadily decreasing, though I could be wrong. It's been years since I've seen that stat.
    Ronaldo can never be the judge of that Bali...

Impossible to draw a parallel between Ronaldo at Juve - one of the worlds premier clubs and by far the most succesful club in Italy with 31 titles and a virtual monopoly - with Maradona going to Napoli in the late 80ís. Honestly - what Maradona did was akin to Messi coming over here and winning the Premier League with Swansea City. Need I remind you that NO club from Southern Italy had ever even won a Scudetto before Maradona went there.

As for the ease with which goals are scored on the peninsula - there has been an increase in attackin play in recent years and goals have been a little more easy to come by - but itís still less than here and significantly less than Spain.
    Last edited by Steveo; 12th January 2019 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    This is spot on.

Any league (like the Italian League) where you have one or two teams completely dominating the rest of the league and winning year in and year out at a canter, can't be considered a strong league.
    Look at the Scottish league which used to be a two team league until Rangers got relegated and then became a one team league (and now seems set to go back to being a two team league with Rangers' return). When it comes to Europe, they're crap.

Serie A is also the same to some degree with the same club having won 4 years in a row but never closing the deal when it comes to Europe again. Ligue 1 in France would be yet another prime example.

I know people will point to La Liga and say that that's a two team league as well and that those two teams are strong in Europe as well, which is technically true, but La Liga strictly speaking isn't a two team league (outside of La Liga) as other teams do exceedingly well in Europe in the Europa league which has been won by Sevilla and the current defending champions Atletico Madrid who also beat Real the defending CL champs in the Supercup.

The Spanish league is one that's fortunate to be flush with the type of money that other leagues don't have and I guess the weather and culture that attracts talented players (particularly from South America), and which other leagues have a hard time competing with.

Just because the Serie A is a hard league to play in (because of the style of play in Italian football) doesn't automatically mean that the teams are therefore good outside the own league.
    Can you name the last 8 CL semi finalists for the last 2 seasons - and also the last 4 finalists? I make it 2 x Serie A clubs Roma and Juve and only 1x Premier League - us.

Also Juve made the final in both 2015 and 2017... So clearly these Italian clubs are doing a little better outside their domestic league than some people believe they are.

Who was talking about better BTW?

I was talking about defending, the difficulty in scoring goals and technical ability.

The Italian game has taken a dip - quite naturally following successive scandals, but they are still far stronger than many fans in this country seem to want to accept.

I think the top 5 Italian clubs will be comfortably ahead of the top 5 clubs in the Premier League technically. Premier League sides have pace and power - but even City are nothing special on a technical level.

Ditto for Spain.. Technically superior right across the league.

Hereís a thought - How many English or British managers have gone to Italy or Spain for that matter and won a title or ANYTHING in the last 20 years?
    I thought you meant the top few in Italy would be better thsn the prem. I would doubt it despite the technicality of things. The pace and power of teams like city, Liverpool and Spurs would more often than not beat that technical aspect. Over two legs it would be tight but over a continous run of a full season the better football would win.
    A british manager wouldnt need to because he'd get paid twice as much managing a lower league team but aside from Ferguson none would have been asked.
    You are right about the technical aspects but I'd say the premier league is a far more competetive and stronger league. It has the money yes but it has that for a reason.
    The top players arent going to Italy as a first choice and only Barca or Real would be the reason to choose spain. IMO anyway.