Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 5 of 269 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer 2019

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    Yes he's had his injuries but the fracture was an impact injury, de Ligt would be £75m+ and would play every PL game with Virgil when fit. It would mean Gomez would have to be 3rd choice CB and 2nd choice RB, he's better than that. I'd hate to see him wasted on the bench.

Agreed but this is where the big bucks are earned. Gomez - looks to be from the Agger school of hard knocks. Has all the tools except ( judging by the last few years ) it seems the sturdiness required to be depended on.

Say we don’t bring in a De Ligt or similar and Gomez comes great between now and May - then breaks down in pre season or early next season - then we are exposed again.

Maybe he is a player who can manage only if used sparingly. Maybe he doesn’t mind playing second fiddle.

Unfortunately at the top of the game where big clubs chase the biggest prizes, it’s about the needs of improving the team and squad before the needs of any individual. Really like Joe but he’s had one long lay off after another. Go get De Ligt and then bring in two or three attack minded players in, wide man, CF and a 10.

There will always be 'what if's', and I'd be amazed and disappointed if Gomez was happy to play 2nd fiddle to a centre back who's even younger than him no matter how good he is. It's not like he'd be thinking he'll get a chance in a season or 2, Virgil and de Ligt would be the cb partnership for the next 5 years.

What if we spent £80m on a cb at the expense of improving the front 3 and midfield?, the last few months have proved they're more in need of serious quality than the defence........and were not likely to spend £200m in the summer so something would have to give.

I get the dream of a Virgil and de Ligt LFC partnership and would be right behind it if we didn't have Gomez who has shown what a formidable partnership he and Virgil are and think it's far too soon to be comparing his injury record to Sturridge or Agger.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Unfortunately at the top of the game where big clubs chase the biggest prizes, it’s about the needs of improving the team and squad before the needs of any individual. Really like Joe but he’s had one long lay off after another. Go get De Ligt and then bring in two or three attack minded players in, wide man, CF and a 10.
    Who are we selling to buy that lot?
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    Who are we selling to buy that lot?
    Moreno to Barca for £200 million 😂😂😂

Can't see Jurgen buying any CB's only a left back cover...he has enough utility players to cover VVD, Lovren, Martip, Gomez. Similar coverage for right-back - although less convincing Millie for TAA. I hope he relies on Ox, Keita for middlefield moxie and forward play - I think he'll buy replacement for Sturridge - a young, fast player a la Sterling who can play instead of Bobby or one of the front three. Wilson, Grujic, Woodburn, Origi, Lallana all to be sold. So, I predict 2 players and Brewster/ Shaq given opportunities to play in cups - that's it...

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyLFC View Post
    Can't see Jurgen buying any CB's only a left back cover...he has enough utility players to cover VVD, Lovren, Martip, Gomez. Similar coverage for right-back - although less convincing Millie for TAA. I hope he relies on Ox, Keita for middlefield moxie and forward play - I think he'll buy replacement for Sturridge - a young, fast player a la Sterling who can play instead of Bobby or one of the front three. Wilson, Grujic, Woodburn, Origi, Lallana all to be sold. So, I predict 2 players and Brewster/ Shaq given opportunities to play in cups - that's it...
    Agree a lot with that.
    At left back a youngster Lewas (?) Has signed a long term contract. Same for right back with Camacho.

I don't know if this is an ideal situation, considering the riches of Man C.

The midfielder with creativity is with either Keita or the Ox. Another player in would definitely bolster our squad but how many players do we need.

Keita was that creative player, that we have seen in cameos v Bournemouth x2, and that outside right foot pass to Firmino, the back flick to Salah goal.

Agreed to if the right price comes in for Wilson, Grujic, Woodburn, they will be sold.

£20m + would get a definite yes.

Brewster will get more games, squad selection. Maybe a surprise from the u18s as back up. Sancho is 18yo , Glatzel and Duncan seem to be tearing it up.

I saw Wednesday United had Chong and Mason Greenwood come into the side.

Shaqiri was plan b , Fekir plan a.
    “We have to change, from doubters to believers—now.”

Just buy De Ligt now! The dream partner for VvD. Joe would still get games. I think I’m right in saying he can play anywhere in the back four. Might even free up Trent to play further forward- something that a lot of people would like to see.

Wasn’t Grujic getting rave reviews in Germany? Not sure there’s a place for him but he may be a better option then Henderson in time.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly, there's no I in team.

People talking like VVD & Deligt would always be fit, while our backup have injury records. Realistically we could be playing 3 games most week going close in 4 competitions.
    Imagine it, VVD leading deligt and Gomez. The competition driving them on to improve. Suspect one of Lovren/Matip would move on.

The 3 forward players I think we know what Klopp likes in a player. But I'd like to see us add someone with a better ability to win headers and link play up.
    Is it part of our best gameplan ? No. But how many teams come to play us terrified and adapted to our best gameplan.
    With these 3 positions we might be able to sign just 2 if Klopp gets the right guys.

A Clyne/Finnan/Azpil fullback, solid and covering both 1st steamers. Clyne I suspect will leave this summer, if not hed do fine imo.

@toneata

I love Joe more than most on here, but the season's long. Considering injuries and the multiple competitions do you not think there will be enough games to keep him happy? We all want Werner to sign, but he'd be in a similar position.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non