Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit thread 2 Electric Boogaloo

Poorer conditions?! Is the quality of life in the UK lower than it was say 20 years ago?!
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Are we poorer than 20 years ago?

No idea.

British "immigrants" in Europe are. £1=€1.15.

Out of interest , having not been to Northern Ireland or Ireland for 20 years, how does it work if you are on the border.

Is it cheaper to buy petrol?
    I know on the French Belgium border you have situations.
    Same Luxembourg
    Same Swiss, obviously not in EU.

I remember 90s guys going on p&o ferries Dover/ Calais buying cigarettes everyday selling on in the UK , making a small fortune.

Are we poorer?
    A washing machine, cars, are cheaper relatively speaking compared to 20 , 30 40 years ago.

Mind you the washing machine only lasts 5 years now. Compared to 15+ years 30 years ago.

Can you pay with Euro & Pounds? In EIRE/ NI

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Can you pay with Euro & Pounds? In EIRE/ NI
    Some border petrol stations will take both currencies as they'll spend on both sides of the border. You might lose a little value if your using the wrong currency.
    Otherwise its euros and pounds in the respective regions

Cheaper to buy petrol down south iirc, Ian might be best to ask. Cheaper to buy pretty much everything else up north.

Seamus O Rourke, genius

https://youtu.be/bsBmRwrQfXw

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Poorer conditions?! Is the quality of life in the UK lower than it was say 20 years ago?!
    Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Are we poorer than 20 years ago?

No idea.
    I would say.

Materially. No.
    Economics of the individual, perhaps. Politics same ^^^
    Psychologically, mental/physical health and societally. Yes.

It depends what you value really. Well being or materialism.
    If you live in a city compared with a rural setting, it's likely a bit less worse of a difference perhaps.

No substantive piece alone I can cite here, but this would be my opinion based on reading trends and findings. Whilst it has been related to me by individuals I've met who work in 'crisis management' in the NHS.

For example on average the triangular distance between work, home and social is bigger on average. Such increases in this distance come with known negative consequences.
    Couple this say with the broader influence of increasing inequality and I think it is evidently so. You have increasing feelings of isolation, declining levels of trust, these all point to a society in decline imo. There've been improvements in areas but overall a decline.

I'd say the country is richer and the society sicker.

I dont think it is solely related to these terrorist attacks, but where people are posting never a worse time than now to bring children into the world say that this is also connected to the general changes in daily living. Declining empathy per generation of college graduates for example is to be found in secondary schools too.

Primary education is pretty good, secondary school is where the education needs drastic action imo and experience. Colleges need reform too but it's more essential in secondary.

I'm not claiming expertise in these areas. The medical member most accessible to me did vote for remain.

I think in our modern society theres a tendency for people to report progress that isn't reflected in the say medical/psychiatric fields.

Our mental and emotional health are not commodities that can be bought, sold or invested, they cannot be manufactured, advertised, or marketed and as such have no value in terms of GDP or other such bollox.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Our mental and emotional health are not commodities that can be bought, sold or invested, they cannot be manufactured, advertised, or marketed and as such have no value in terms of GDP or other such bollox.
    You are not allowed to sell children for a reason....