Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171821 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit thread 2 Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Somethings are not for sale, you may deem them valueless if it pleases you
    Thanks mate, I was being sarcastic.

They are deemed valueless by the system.

"Economics is a form of brain damage" David Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Thanks mate, I was being sarcastic.

They are deemed valueless by the system.

"Economics is a form of brain damage" David Suzuki
    Apologies, hard for me to tell with posts sometimes.

Maybe often, regularly or consistently

Idk CC, I'm a pretty materialistic kind of guy (I think a lot of it is down to growing up in a crumbling post communist Eastern European state). The "society is sicker" opinion is definitely one that has merit to it and I share in some regards, but far too many factors play into it for me to really take it seriously without some in-depth consideration. For example 20 years ago you were a teenager / young adult and had no internet, so less access to news. The media functioned slightly differently back then too I'd imagine. It is definitely an interesting point. Have to think about it.

@stevie

I'm not certain that's the case. A well functioning worker produces more wealth and therefore pumps up the GDP. If being mentally stable is a serious factor in being a well functioning worker, I can see it being of great interest to economists. On the flip side antidepressants and psychotherapy cost a fortune and generate tax revenue.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 18th March 2019 at 09:45 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

The country or county define probably if you are poor, even a postcode.

It really depends how you define being poor.

I remember a guy called mamadou from Mali, visited me. Said to me I was rich, because i had a car, a tv, a fridge, and food in it.

The thing is talking to a friend , who said to me that his 3 yo watches tv and is constantly bombarded with messages to buy .

Toys . McDonald's. Technology.
    Amazing how companies can start the psychological mind games so early.

"We are all consumer addicts"

Back on track

So BREXIT

what happens next?

Btw social media meltdown, brexit 'discussion' looks worse than an lfc forum after defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Idk CC, I'm a pretty materialistic kind of guy (I think a lot of it is down to growing up in a crumbling post communist Eastern European state). The "society is sicker" opinion is definitely one that has merit to it and I share in some regards, but far too many factors play into it for me to really take it seriously without some in-depth consideration.
    For example 20 years ago you were a teenager / young adult and had no internet, so less access to news. The media functioned slightly differently back then too I'd imagine. It is definitely an interesting point. Have to think about it.

@stevie

I'm not certain that's the case. A well functioning worker produces more wealth and therefore pumps up the GDP. If being mentally stable is a serious factor in being a well functioning worker, I can see it being of great interest to economists. On the flip side antidepressants and psychotherapy cost a fortune and generate tax revenue.
    You seem to think or portray increasing material wealth and more equality as exclusive avenues. Equality here not being a communist definition, but more a measure of the level of financial inequality.
    Do you want a healthier society or more material wealth. But this is a false dichotomy.
    Maybe you'd prefer material wealth over societal health if it was an exclusive choice. Ethically such a choice would meet with scrutiny.

Communism is demonstrably flawed. It doesnt allow for enough inequality.
    Similarly increasing financial inequality is demonstrably flawed.
    Where the golden mean lies is a mystery in an objective sense to a point. The best answer so far suggest it was in the previous economic model and below the levels we see in western societies today.

Innovation occurred before this rise in inequality, during it and will do so after this economic model passes.

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    The country or county define probably if you are poor, even a postcode.

It really depends how you define being poor.

I remember a guy called mamadou from Mali, visited me. Said to me I was rich, because i had a car, a tv, a fridge, and food in it.

The thing is talking to a friend , who said to me that his 3 yo watches tv and is constantly bombarded with messages to buy .

Toys . McDonald's. Technology.
    Amazing how companies can start the psychological mind games so early.

"We are all consumer addicts"
    You'll have 5g before people dont have to walk miles for water

Children are the number one target audience of advertisers in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Back on track

So BREXIT

what happens next?

Btw social media meltdown, brexit 'discussion' looks worse than an lfc forum after defeat.
    The UK will honour article 50 and leave without a deal or it will not honour the triggering of article 50 and extend the period.
    May's deal seems to be a dead duck.