Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 710111213141516171819202122232427 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit thread 2 Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    @CC

As I very clearly and explicitly stated in my previous post, asking the people wether or not to leave is about as moronic as asking them wether or not to join. Zero inconsistency there.

Let's get one thing straight - my solution to the problem is not another referendum. I'm asking why it's not the UK's. Mine would involve armed militias, gladiator rinks and copious amounts of cotton candy.

Considering the damage has been done by putting the EU membership to the people's vote twice, I can't see how staying or leaving the union could possibly hold any legitimacy if the decision is now suddenly made solely by parliament. It sounds tyrannical. This is not circularity. I'm saying that on a principal level asking the people to solve the EU question is absurd. It should not have happened. Or if it did, it should have at least been handled with so much more care and scrutiny (open to talk about that).

Once it has happened though, you've set the precedent and need to keep going, otherwise you're playing favourites and the people lose trust in their government. I.e. if the MPs just said "nope, we goin' nowhere". And yes, the UK is rather civilised, but that's how the streets come to run red in some parts of the world. Once you've said it's up to the people, you have to stick by that no matter the result.

I hope I've made it clear why those two positions don't contradict each other.

And parliament is kind of fucked, no? The stage you described is really not set, since they've voted against May's deal and to never leave the EU with no deal. They've kind of shot themselves in the foot. And stomach. And face. They're out of options. Bar seppuku maybe.

Like I said, just saw/heard about those polls somewhere online, could have been bollocks.

Your comment on the EU acting in the interest of the institution and not its people kind of worried me. Can you elaborate? I'd like to know if they were fucking me over.

Edit: I just now realised there can't be a "no-deal" vs "stay" referendum, as parliament said "no deal" is never an option.
    It seemed like you did support another referendum Bali. My question was why would you think more peoples votes would be the solution if you oppose them on principle in a representative democracy. I replied to you saying what such a vote should be between as I see it.

In short I dont believe it was intended for another vote on the matter before the referendum results. Think it is just another way for people to try and prevent results from referendums. Farage was calling for a second referendum when he thought Brexit would lose so it's not to say bad losers arent on both sides. A referendum though is to be absolute. If you lose you lose, you have to bide your time until such a point in time as where another one is justifiable. For remain that is today, but in fairness that isn't a wise move by government.

Both main parties manifesto had commitments to respecting the referendums result delivering a Brexit. Article 50 was triggered where a deal was sought, but no deal was better than a bad deal.

If a no deal Brexit occurs the eu has stated it is insisting on a hard border on the north/south of Ireland border. Good luck to the eu in trying to enforce such a desire and break the good Friday agreement.

If you think the EU's tough negotiation style has done much to combat it's own image problems I think we'll have to disagree on the matter. They've merely shown that if you take the choice to leave you will get very little favour. Macron has stated in France a vote to leave might occur but he will fight against people getting the vote to paraphrase.

I wonder if anyone has looked at the links I've provided. I can only guess not since theres been little comment where otherwise there should be comments.

As per your polls I think they might well be bollocks.

It's very likely Britain will have no choice but to take a no deal Brexit, unless May by some miracle can get her deal backed in parliament and voted on by the people between now and deadline day. While her deal has been labelled bad by both sides and a betrayal of Brexit in principle.

Also Bali this last decade in the main has been about preserving the euro currency and ECB. It's been a decade of austerity.

It's no surprise to me that the euro has been such a mitigated disaster. Saying that I wasnt aware that should we have a massive crony banking system that banking debts would be nationalised to keep German banks from collapsing.
    In one video from Blyth posted earlier he looks at German imports and those who provide them, and then highlights the speed with which these trade dependent countries roll in behind Germany in eu politics. They are bought satellite nations linked by one language, trade. They provide political support for continued trade. This isn't how you build peace and democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    When I heard about the new political party, The Brexit party, I thought you're 3 years late mate - but maybe they're not as daft as they look.

From what I can tell, of the 4 options, an extension is now the most likely. Which leads to Britain having to take part in the European elections.

Which makes me think Monsieur Farage somehow knew this all along. A prediction CCTV would be proud of!
    Extension needs the eu on board, it's not, only chance is if May's deal is approved before the request.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Extension needs the eu on board, it's not, only chance is if May's deal is approved before the request.
    I'm just going on what the BBC say to be fair. You seem to be more in the know. If it's heading for no deal then what is Farage playing at with this new party? just showboating? perhaps. i think he'd love it to go to the elections though.

Well this is a game changer.

Now it seems there will be no Brexit after all.

3 years of shite but at last it's all over.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/22/uri-geller-promises-to-stop-brexit-using-telepathy?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR3tqiprr5EWg0 7NnTHazk0siSvbAQArU0GK3xOVefotKD4hQQ1mK-upJzY
    Illusionist Uri Geller has told Theresa May he will “not allow” her to lead Britain out of the EU.

In an open letter to the prime minister, the Israeli-British TV personality said he felt “psychically and very strongly” that most Britons were anti-Brexit and promised to stop the process telepathically. He wrote: “I feel psychically and very strongly that most British people do not want Brexit. I love you very much but I will not allow you to lead Britain into Brexit. As much as I admire you, I will stop you telepathically from doing this – and believe me I am capable of executing it. Before I take this drastic course of action, I appeal to you to stop the process immediately while you still have a chance.”

LEAVER: I want an omelette.

REMAINER: Right. It’s just we haven’t got any eggs.

LEAVER: Yes, we have. There they are. [HE POINTS AT A CAKE]

REMAINER: They’re in the cake.

LEAVER: Yes, get them out of the cake, please.

REMAINER: But we voted in 1974 to put them into a cake.

LEAVER: Yes, but that cake has got icing on it. Nobody said there was going to be icing on it.

REMAINER: Icing is good.

LEAVER: And there are raisins in it. I don’t like raisins. Nobody mentioned raisins. I demand another vote.

DAVID CAMERON ENTERS.

DAVID CAMERON: OK.

DAVID CAMERON SCARPERS.

LEAVER: Right, where’s my omelette?

REMAINER: I told you, the eggs are in the cake.

LEAVER: Well, get them out.

EU: It’s our cake.

JEREMY CORBYN: Yes, get them out now.

REMAINER: I have absolutely no idea how to get them out. Don’t you know how to get them out?

LEAVER: Yes! You just get them out and then you make an omelette.

REMAINER: But how?! Didn’t you give this any thought?

LEAVER: Saboteur! You’re talking eggs down. We could make omelettes before the eggs went into the cake, so there’s no reason why we can’t make them now.

THERESA MAY: It’s OK, I can do it.

REMAINER: How?

THERESA MAY: There was a vote to remove the eggs from the cake, and so the eggs will be removed from the cake.

REMAINER: Yeah, but…

LEAVER: Hang on, if we take the eggs out of the cake, does that mean we don’t have any cake? I didn’t say I didn’t want the cake, just the bits I don’t like.

REMAINER: But you can’t take the eggs out of the cake and then still have a cake.

LEAVER: You can. I saw the latest Bake Off and you can definitely make cakes without eggs in them. It’s just that they’re horrible.

REMAINER: Fine. Take the eggs out. See what happens.

LEAVER: It’s not my responsibility to take the eggs out. Get on with it.

REMAINER: Why should I have to come up with some long-winded incredibly difficult chemical process to extract eggs that have bonded at the molecular level to the cake, while somehow still having the cake?

LEAVER: You lost, get over it.

THERESA MAY: By the way, I’ve started the clock on this.

REMAINER: So I assume you have a plan?

THERESA MAY: Actually, back in a bit. Just having another election.

REMAINER: Jeremy, are you going to sort this out?

JEREMY CORBYN: Yes. No. Maybe.

LEAVER: Where’s my omelette? I voted for an omelette.

REMAINER: This is ridiculous. This is never going to work. We should have another vote, or at least stop what we’re doing until we know how to get the eggs out of the cake while keeping the bits of the cake that we all like.

LEAVER/MAY/CORBYN: WE HAD A VOTE. STOP SABOTAGING THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE. EGGSIT MEANS EGGSIT.

REMAINER: Fine, I’m moving to France. The cakes are nicer there.

LEAVER: You can’t. We’ve taken your freedom of movement.

@CCTV

as I've explained in detail, once you've gone down the road of referendums, you're stuck there imo. You have to continue. The precedent has been set. That's why I don't think a third vote would be disastrous. Obviously not having one would be a better option, but considering the absurd zugzwang in which the UK finds itself, I'm just looking for the least horrible option.

And I don't get the whole EU image complaint. I pay taxes to the EU. I want the EU to protect my interests first. The UK wishes to stop paying taxes to the EU. I would be somewhat annoyed if the EU were to put the interests of UK citizens before mine.

Why is support for continued trade between nations not how you build peace and democracy? Trade is bedrock of modern human civilisation. Surely mutually beneficial trade agreements are good for everyone?

On a more starry eyed romantic teen vain - it's only natural that Germany is pushing for more influence in Europe. They're big, rich and never got to rule the world unlike Spain, France and the UK. They feel left out!
    Last edited by Balinkay; 23rd March 2019 at 08:29 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    I'm just going on what the BBC say to be fair. You seem to be more in the know. If it's heading for no deal then what is Farage playing at with this new party? just showboating? perhaps. i think he'd love it to go to the elections though.
    I'd say hes preparing for the European elections if Brexit isn't delivered and possibly the next general election too.

Was there really a march of "a million" people in London against Brexit or is it just propaganda?
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Was there really a march of "a million" people in London against Brexit or is it just propaganda?
    Don't know, wasn't there but alleged video footage from a helicopter did look pretty impressive. The march for brexit reportedly managed 200 odd but that was probably just propaganda!