Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122232425262730 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit thread 2 Electric Boogaloo

Anyone see labour & Tories agreeing a deal before European elections? Or by Halloween?

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    Even though I'm not a big fan of Will Self he nailed it when he said “every racist and anti-Semite in the country voted for Brexit."

Watch the video of him and Mark Francois, the Tory prick is absolutely clueless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Fry had shared it on twitter - that Mark character is hilarious.
    This is evidently wrong

Oh come on, he's super funny.

Also this:

Whatever side of the debate you're on, you have to admit that this whole Brexit debacle has given rise to some serious memage.

That's reason enough to want it to go on as long as possible.

@CC

sorry I've not been on this thread. I started writing my Master's thesis and properly talking about this stuff with someone as well read up on it as you costs way too much time. Again, cheers for all the info - I understand the Brexit side a lot better now.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Oh come on, he's super funny.

Also this:

Whatever side of the debate you're on, you have to admit that this whole Brexit debacle has given rise to some serious memage.

That's reason enough to want it to go on as long as possible.

@CC

sorry I've not been on this thread. I started writing my Master's thesis and properly talking about this stuff with someone as well read up on it as you costs way too much time. Again, cheers for all the info - I understand the Brexit side a lot better now.
    What's your masters thesis about ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-result-7-graphs-that-explain-how-brexit-won-eu-explained-a7101676.html

From 2016
    "....29% of multi-culturalists voted to leave, as did 32% of social liberalists, 40% of feminists, 38% of environmentalists and 38% of those who consider themselves pro-globalisation.
    Even 21% of those who are pro-immigration voted to leave. A tiny percentage compared to other categories, but still a fifth...."

Might be fun granted, but its counter productive. More blessings from the social media world

Same in the states, racists elected trump even in states that voted for Obama twice cause they didnt pick the right white one this time

Thought sterling spoke really well recently when he was saying this walking off if racist chants are heard is madness. Fair play to him.

Read a malcom X book in my teens and he spoke eloquently about racist verbal abuse - the dreaded n word. It only triggered him when he wasnt confident and proud of his heritage.
    Frankyl had a piece about it too. I digress...

Good luck with your thesis , 100,000 words right?

Cheers CC!

It's about using a certain machine learning approach to solve a subproblem of the larger issue known as "drawing graphs in a way humans can understand them". There's no real constraint on the length - roughly 60 pages should suffice, but seeing as my code is also considered part of my thesis, I might get away with fewer. The issue is I'm a shite coder and know nothing about ML.

Have heard the Malcolm X thing too. Completely agree. Look at the "ok hand sign" debacle.

Re: memes - I don't think they're necessarily accurate, but I do find them hilarious. Whether or not they're counter productive I'm not sure. I'd lean towards them not harming the discussion.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Cheers CC!

It's about using a certain machine learning approach to solve a subproblem of the larger issue known as "drawing graphs in a way humans can understand them". There's no real constraint on the length - roughly 60 pages should suffice, but seeing as my code is also considered part of my thesis, I might get away with fewer. The issue is I'm a shite coder and know nothing about ML.

Have heard the Malcolm X thing too. Completely agree. Look at the "ok hand sign" debacle.

Re: memes - I don't think they're necessarily accurate, but I do find them hilarious. Whether or not they're counter productive I'm not sure. I'd lean towards them not harming the discussion.
    Good luck again with your thesis, are you teaching it how to present data in a discernible manner so it can work across many different/new tasks ?

I dont envy you

The idea is to get it to solve one concrete problem relatively well and then generalising it, which should be the easy bit.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Haha, I know it. It's really cool.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I would say.

Materially. No.
    Economics of the individual, perhaps. Politics same ^^^
    Psychologically, mental/physical health and societally. Yes.

It depends what you value really. Well being or materialism.
    If you live in a city compared with a rural setting, it's likely a bit less worse of a difference perhaps.

No substantive piece alone I can cite here, but this would be my opinion based on reading trends and findings. Whilst it has been related to me by individuals I've met who work in 'crisis management' in the NHS.

For example on average the triangular distance between work, home and social is bigger on average. Such increases in this distance come with known negative consequences.
    Couple this say with the broader influence of increasing inequality and I think it is evidently so. You have increasing feelings of isolation, declining levels of trust, these all point to a society in decline imo. There've been improvements in areas but overall a decline.

I'd say the country is richer and the society sicker.

I dont think it is solely related to these terrorist attacks, but where people are posting never a worse time than now to bring children into the world say that this is also connected to the general changes in daily living. Declining empathy per generation of college graduates for example is to be found in secondary schools too.

Primary education is pretty good, secondary school is where the education needs drastic action imo and experience. Colleges need reform too but it's more essential in secondary.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    You've lost me CCTV (not for the first time!)

For what it's worth I don't think we have a democracy in Britain, not worthy of the name anyway. The Welsh referendum was a fudge but it turned out okay in the end so nobody talks about it anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    The first referendum people were blind.
    Ill-informed

Forage's propaganda

1. £350million a day nhs
    2. Immigration

Today the Brit public are more savvy about what the vote is about.

If there was a 2nd referendum, when the 2nd referendum happens, Britain will remain.
    Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    UK population increase by 10 million in the last 20 years.

Baby boomers , and living age older 80+ yo.

Accounts for 8.5 million people over 20 years (1998 - 2018)

Net migration = 1.5 million in 20 years.

More retired people , means needing more people working to provide pension funds, elderly people services.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Apologies in advance Bali for my incoherent rambling: we can take it in steps or parts, it's a hard topic to break down imo.

Heres an interesting tedtalk (not beyond criticism themselves) on the subject of personality, liberals & conservatives with respect to moral authority from Jonathon Haidt.
    It explains nicely a lot of politics today. He speaks very nicely to his audience, cause hes a public speaker of repute and as hes stated before in this era one has to speak very carefully to speak on campus.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vs41JrnGaxc
    Given years ago the implications of such knowledge has been horribly overlooked in Brexit analysis and in the failed remain campaign and strategy.
    The economic arguments from both sides are tenuous and pretty unreliable. If you are for remain or brexit it is very likely that the economic argument had very little hold on you over your affinity with your own personality/self.

Seen Stephen fry narrating some awful pieces on YouTube. He was surprised that those who lived in more diverse areas voted for remain and those who lived in more homogenous areas voted for Brexit. This however is to be expected in a view through lived personality.
    Similarly remainers question how could people on benefits or less well paid refuse the status quo. They are the ones who have experienced the rise of financial inequality the most, why should they support a status quo that has furthered their poverty relative to others.

I predicted Brexit and trump elections correctly in the old thread in the off-topic based on such data and analysis.
    Despite the polls suggesting there was little chance of it happening. Those who expected remain & Clinton were shocked as they do not understand the area properly imo. Plus journalism surely we can agree is at an all time low?

In time people will understand that remain & Clinton both lost out due to their own campaigning style and lack of understanding. Not only did they fail to convert those who didnt support them, they lost voters in their favour as a result.

That and the decline and death of traditional liberalism are largely to blame for the results. Theres a war in academia presently between those who are mandating reality versus those who are using science correctly to discover reality.

The attacks on little englanders are odd imo. The post ww2 era to the 1970s in terms of wealth distribution or levels of financial inequality is referred to as a golden age in the UK, this should be a liberal goal also. This is a good.

Since the 1970s, more so the 1980s onwards inequality is increasing steadily. The rise in inequality is synonymous with the rise in displaced persons and many more negative consequences, health and societal. The un provide such statistics on displaced persons and the growth rate of displaced persons is well above the global population growth rate. The book affluenza is based on the impacts on society of increased inequality. Its intuitive, fairer and more just societies are the best.

In little Britain a doctor was upper/elite class today 2 doctors (married couple) wouldn't qualify as elite/upper class.
    People dont mind a measure of inequality where justifiable but they despise increasing inequality beyond a reasonable limit, everyone should. If you watched that video above you'll see it is one of the 2 common moral authorities imprinted in our nature.

It is odd that in liberal politics today freedom of speech and financial equality are contentious or controversial topics.

Inquality grows within and between nations. This is driving migration and displacement, outside of bombing civilian. If you want less migrants you need less inequality. If you do not want to stop migration, often taken as a last resort, continue with policies that promote inequality.
    Analysis of economic policy shows that in the UK inequality has increased under every governemt in the UK over the last 4-5 decades.
    Analysis of cuts and handouts from government policy disproportionately impact the poor, young & elderly most. In recession they experience the brunt of cuts the most. In boom or recovery they get the least. Analysis of wealth distribution post the crash shows that pretty much all the economic growth has benefited the top 1%. A fraction of the top1% account for almost all of the economic recovery since the 08/09 crash.
    There is a global policy where the only difference between continents is the extent of increaes in inequality and the wealth distribution is starting to look feudal.

I'd have voted brexit on principles. I wouldn't have voted in the USA election.
    I do think both results will bring huge progress to our western world. Liberalism might be returned to where it belongs as a consistent philosophy based on principles.

What has Europe become?
    Since the inception of the euro which was an ideological desire and not a practical one weve seen power consolidated in Germany. Merkel's is Europe. The euro has benefited Germany the most and has a large part to play in the banking crisis. The policy of the euro has seen ardent capitalist critique the madness of allowing bank debt to be nationalised.
    In Ireland we took a hit the Greeks even more. Then the eu called Portugal Ireland Greece and Spain the pigs.

Weve seen the eu criticise China for moving in on "its" fishing territories in Africa. They criticise China for paying the poorest more and giving them a better deal. That sums up Europe and global liberalism today imo. Europe will mandate you pay sky and bt for competition purposes, despise the Chinese for providing it in Africa.

Europe has been far more concerned about Brexit than any violations of international law, like Tony Blair and the fabricated dossiers as concluded by the chilcot report.

The eu is for peace and prosperity, look who they sell arms too. It's not consistent at all. War has been exported out of the region by and large.

If Britain leaves the EU, which is not certain the eu has a great record of overturning elections which go against the institutes desires, then it will certainly be a massive loss. The big fear for the EU is that others join them.
    Hi. I've not followed this thread from the start so I've missed a lot of the discussions.
    Apologies for the late arrival and so on, what I'd like to know is:
    How do you contributors feel about us leaving - are you for Brexit, or against.
    Could a poll be incorporated in this thread, or would it need a separate thread?

My own views:
    I'm for Brexit. I'm of an age where I've seen us surviving on our own. I saw us enter the Common Market, though I didn't vote.
    My reasons for leaving (condensed version):
    1 Many/most? politicians in Westminster are corrupt/selfish/greedy. We don't need yet another level of corrupt/selfish/greedy politicians who run the EU.
    What do politicians produce/manufacture? Sod all. All they do is move money around and take home huge amounts of money that the countries in the EU
    are "contributing".
    2 Finances. Of all the countries in the EU, I reckon there's a minority of countries actually contributing. France, Germany, Holland, Belgium and the UK
    are the countries probably putting the most money in and taking the least out. The UK is one of the few countries/nations propping up the EU.
    3 This might cause some arguments among you - migration. Without being in any way racist, I believe the UK is being over-run by having too many people
    within its borders. Illegal or legal it doesn't matter - there are too many people in the UK and causing stresses on our NHS and welfare systems to name just
    two.

OK, that's my contribution. I'd like to have an idea of how others feel.