Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Immense Pride

We have moved forward so much in the last few seasons and we now do have a team who can challenge for the trophies.

What worries me now is what has happened to us in the past when we have fallen just short and that is we sell our better players we need to hang onto VVD, Mane and Salah unless the offer is stupid and i'm talking £150-200m per player.

The 3 clubs to worry about are Barca, Madrid and City as they can offer them more money & greater chance of trophies PSG are no threat as none of our players will join them.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    We have moved forward so much in the last few seasons and we now do have a team who can challenge for the trophies.

What worries me now is what has happened to us in the past when we have fallen just short and that is we sell our better players we need to hang onto VVD, Mane and Salah unless the offer is stupid and i'm talking £150-200m per player.

The 3 clubs to worry about are Barca, Madrid and City as they can offer them more money & greater chance of trophies PSG are no threat as none of our players will join them.
    That is exactly my worry too. The squad needs to win something soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Juventus have an insane habit of losing finals since their Champion's League final in 1995.
    Benfica have lost 8 European finals in a row.

On Juventus, they lost to Barcelona in 2015 and to Real Madrid in 2017. Bayern Munich lost in 2010 in 2012 (Inter Milan and Chelsea) before finally managing in the 2013 final against Dortmund. Atletico Madrid lost to Real Madrid twice in both of their European finals - imagine us losing to United in such circumstances.

Football can be cruel - but it's about whether or not we let it galvanise us or not - and I think we can. A potentially 97-point yielding season whilst juggling a Champion's League campaign while we still have room for improvement should be evidence that we'll be challenging again soon - a very relevant European side - and that's where we want to be.

We'll see where we are come Tuesday.
    Some great posts on this thread. So much to be positive about. Let's face it; in Brendan's last season we'd have bitten hands off to have Klopp as manager and be fighting for the title and Champions Leagues. Go back a few years further and it seemed like a dream in the post-Rafa period. The owners bringing in Klopp and backing him has brought us back from the dead. Would be great to get the league monkey off our backs. If we could get a couple of goals at home to Barca it would put a bit of respectability on the scoreline. Sport is cruel and Barca have that cutting edge. How can Salah, Milner and even Mane look in the mirror today after missing clear-cut chances? I mean Salah of all people? Open goal!!

Heart-breaking to finish with nothing this season but let's hope we might have a sting in the tail yet....

come on Leicester....!!!
    From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend on reading it. Groucho Marx

This isn't the end, this is the begining.

Players do leave but if you are challenging and in CL semi finals and finals it is easier to keep players. I'm not naive, some players will be drawn to "bigger" clubs but I suspect that they would do that regardless of trophy status
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post

Players do leave but if you are challenging and in CL semi finals and finals it is easier to keep players. I'm not naive, some players will be drawn to "bigger" clubs but I suspect that they would do that regardless of trophy status
    I think ours have ambitions of ruling the roost for quite a few years in Liverpool red, the other thing that keeps players happy is the quality around them, we have that in every position for the first time in 20 odd years and we're certain to add 2 or 3 more absolutely top class players in the summer
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I think ours have ambitions of ruling the roost for quite a few years in Liverpool red, the other thing that keeps players happy is the quality around them, we have that in every position for the first time in 20 odd years and we're certain to add 2 or 3 more absolutely top class players in the summer
    You seem convinced by these 3 top players coming in !

I hope you are right with some luck we can move Sturridge Moreno Lallana Lovren for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    You seem convinced by these 3 top players coming in !

I hope you are right with some luck we can move Sturridge Moreno Lallana Lovren for a start.
    I am convinced, it's absolutely necessary, we have Sturridge (free), Origi, Shaqiri, Grujic, Lallana, Lovren, Ings, Clyne, Moreno and a few other fringe players and loanees to move on, probably bring in 200m in fees plus cutting the wage bill significantly and we'll get almost 100m from our Champions League progress so far. Lots of rumours, lots of made up one's 3 or 4 that are long term targets who are finally becoming available.

I think the squad will be stripped back a little with 3-5 youngsters brought into it and the rest all being top quality
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post

Indeed.

15/16 - Europa League final (League Cup final too but I don't think that draws transfer targets to be fair)
    16/17 - 76 points finish to attain Top Four.
    17/18 - 75 point finish to remain Top Four + juggle a European campaign to reach the Champion's League final
    18/19 - Champion's League semi-final (possible miracle yet?) and an over-90-points-season

1. We are very competitive - a European semi-final in 3 of our 4 seasons under Klopp, finishing top four in each of the three seasons he's had the reigns from the start - 15/16 very much being a "Year Zero".
    2. We have one of the most appealing coaches to play for in World football.
    3. We seemingly have some money to spend - largely because we keep going deep in Europe - 10/11 (assuming we lose to Barcelona on aggregate) wins in European knock-out rounds is incredible work and keeps revenue coming in.
    4. We have a squad that people would want to join.

This is the best position we've been in for a long, long time. If we keep our best players (in a better position to do so than before) and can add a key ingredient or two whilst trimming the squad, we'll be in an even better one - all at a time while United, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea aren't at their best, which buys us a little time to further enhance ourselves.

We're in a great spot. Also, the season may yet have one final twist in its' tail - who knows.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Well said Sid

If we win both the Prem and the CL from the position we are in now, it will be the greatest achievement any British club has ever made, much more than the scum winning the treble.