Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Immense Pride

You can have success without winning.

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyLFC View Post
    You can have success without winning.
    You absolutely can - provided we avoid the extreme end of that spectrum (Everton!) there is a lot to be said for taking pride in genuine elevation of your level.

Klopp has made Liverpool relevant again at the top end of the Premier League and in the Champion's League. Heck, if we somehow pull off a miracle and do reach the Champion's League final (and for talk's sake we lost 1-0) people could potentially look back in years to come and say "remember the '17-19 side? Almost won the League and two Champion's Leagues in 2 seasons, madness" - nobody wants to be runner-up of course, but to be that competitive in the first place is pretty impressive.

As it stands, we've had a great season, which may have a twist or two in the tale yet. We could potentially go into next Tuesday's Barca game knowing that a win against Wolves after our Barca game wins us the League - who knows?
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

I thought our lads were immense v Barcelona tonight, every team will have a game in which they do everything right, play brilliantly but just can't put the damned thing in the back of the net and don't get a single break while the opposition get them all.

Also while you're working so hard to be as good as you can be, to get to the top as a team you have major disappointments, how you come back from and react to those disappointments and learn from them is a very big step along the way, sometimes you have to lose to get better.

What a team we have, what they've shown on the back of last year's Champions League final defeat, and the manner of it, our player of the season being nobbled, their reaction this season has been incredible, now we need to pick ourselves up and improve again, we still have a League title and Champions League final to play for and neither is over just yet
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Yes 19 mate, yes.

Above all I wanted us to be competing and that we are most definitely doing.

Agree 19. The 3 - 0 is a really unfair reflection but "thems the breaks". The difference tonight was the best player of the last 30 years if not all time.
    Its hard to take to take having such a good season and more than likely not having any silver to show. Not out of the question but out of pur hands in terms of the league and out of the ordinary in terms of turning over a 3-0 defecit against Barca.
    I really do worry we wont get over the line. This squad needs a trophy soon as it will be a major travesty if we end up like KK's Newcastle side.

3-2 loss might have been fairer -.they were clinical tonight.

Clinical? Lucky and brilliant, first goal was clinical and came when we momentarily lost focus immediately after a sub, second goal was pure luck, hw many times an effort like that hits the bar and goes over or drops kindly for the keeper or defender, but this one bounces right into Messi's path leaving our keeper and defenders stranded, the third was brilliant

Still immensely proud and still all to play for
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Ultimately Barca did to us what we have done to plenty this season. They were not in top gear at all tonight - rode their luck - got some luck then found a way to win handsomely.

We had a few chances - some of them we really should have buried but hey ho.

We should definitely all be proud of the current squad and manager who have been absolutely outstanding this season. If we don’t have anything to show for it - it will be a tragedy but that is how this cruel game works.

Anybody seeing that score this morning will think we got hammered, but we went to the Nou Camp and outplayed them for large parts of the game (the stats must back that up?), we played without an ounce of fear and at times looked like the home team. Who goes there and does that?
    I doubt we'll get through but as long as we beat them at home that's all you can ask for now, and losing in the CL semi final to Barca with Messi in that form isn't something to be ashamed of.

We'd have won the title by now in 33 of the last 37 years, that's how good this side is, we're matching the most expensive team ever assembled and there's still a chance we can do it. It's been an incredible season and there's nothing to suggest this is a one off, we'll be right amongst it next season and I can't wait to see this team evolve.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Also while you're working so hard to be as good as you can be, to get to the top as a team you have major disappointments, how you come back from and react to those disappointments and learn from them is a very big step along the way, sometimes you have to lose to get better.
    Juventus have an insane habit of losing finals since their Champion's League final in 1995.
    Benfica have lost 8 European finals in a row.

On Juventus, they lost to Barcelona in 2015 and to Real Madrid in 2017. Bayern Munich lost in 2010 in 2012 (Inter Milan and Chelsea) before finally managing in the 2013 final against Dortmund. Atletico Madrid lost to Real Madrid twice in both of their European finals - imagine us losing to United in such circumstances.

Football can be cruel - but it's about whether or not we let it galvanise us or not - and I think we can. A potentially 97-point yielding season whilst juggling a Champion's League campaign while we still have room for improvement should be evidence that we'll be challenging again soon - a very relevant European side - and that's where we want to be.

We'll see where we are come Tuesday.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay