Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Good job so far FSG

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    I was trying to be nice to you there. Pal is a term of endearment in these parts.

You claim not to be lusting after stadiums but Tottenham is your example of a team better run and the reason you give is - look at their stadium. Fair enough, that is your standard. I don't mind that, but I think it's a bad argument. What I don't like about your approach is you state with complete confidence that FSG have not done a good job and Tottenham is your example of owners doing a good job. I think you are lusting after big shiny stadiums and I think that's childish to be honest, but I have tried to argue against your contention that the owners 'should have' done better and that is incontrovertible. I have now officially given up expecting you to have the generosity to admit that FSG may have done a good job, or that your statements to the contrary may be exaggerated.
    So, we have a few thousand less seats than some rivals it's true. Although we have many more than Juventus in their brand new stadium, interestingly. Match day revenues are not the main income source - FSG have done very well with our income sources, wouldn't you agree?
    They've also done very well with our player purchases and wage structure, would't you agree? And player purchases have improved with time as they have learned to rely less on the judgement of the manager. Isn't that an interesting fact? Maybe their objectivity as Yanks who don't know football specifically but know sports generally actually makes them better in this regard.
    It's true we could fit more into the stadium, and that in my opinion is the reason for expanding, and to increase the atmosphere. And we have started to do that in a way that hasn't upset our rhythm and progress, which I think is brilliant. That's been worth the wait. I'm glad they didn't rush into relocation, as I sure they would have been be tempted to do. But the whole point of football is success on the pitch isn't it?
    I didn't take offence mate, I have no problem with 'pal'..

Taksin I simply made 2 clear points about what I see as Myths.. I did not state that FSG have not done a very good job - or that they have done a bad job but said they had been conservative. Nothing in here has any tangible bearing on either point. I suggested that Levy and Co's approach to the stadium was miles ahead - wasn't trying to compare clubs beyond that point at all really..

Also - on that point - how much rhythm and progress has Spurs 1Billion stadium cost them? How long did did it take them to act between not getting the green light on the Olympic Stadium (now the 60,000 home to the Hammers) and their 62,000 behemoth being completed? It is very very impressive is it not? and IMHO has been one area they have been well ahead of what FSG have managed to do for Anfield over a far far longer period. You can run round all 4 stands at Anfield as may times as Spurs have spent millions on their new White Hart Lane and you will still struggle be able to counter that argument. What part of this are you struggling with? I understand you don't like the fact that I have dared to bring it up - but it is a forum and you are free to disagree - no need to try and paint me as some kind of ungrateful, greedy bugger.

As for the football, we have been steadily improving. I'd say the FSG have actually achieved what we wanted from them, which was to get back to the top. We are back at the top and we are still improving. That looks like success to me.
    Tottenham on the other hand don't seem to be as far along that path. They are not improving in the league, despite impressing you so much. They've scraped into the CL final with an injury hit squad that is a little thin. On top of that, their top players seem to be headed elsewhere. I don't want to be too down on them because they may still beat us in June, but their squad looks like it needs about 5 top new additions to me, even if they keep Erikson. Do you think they will be able to attract them, even if the chairman wants to spend 250 million on transfers? In short, their strategy looks much weaker than ours. We are improving, they are not.So I think you are wrong.
    The only thing they have over us is a shiny new stadium but I realise you're not lusting after that now.
    For the record Spurs have been the meanest of the lot in backing Pochetino ( laughable in fact ) as they have been relentlessly under Levy.

I suggested in our case and in view of such a relatively small outlay on the stadium - FSG could have backed Klopp with more than what amounts to 30 million a season net spend (and this ONLY factoring in last summers srelative spending spree) which may have got us where we are now sooner..? Is that not a valid point?. Are you suggesting that this is the most we could hope for? Should we all bow down in thankfulness like some fawning desperado at the kings court? Are you suggesting that under most managers this would be a realistic amount of investment for a squad hovering just above mid table? To make us competitive with City, United and Chelsea?

Only someone obtuse would think I was crediting FSG with our long history. I am crediting them with running the club well. You are not.
    I must be obtuse then - but you did start talking about our "Special Culture"- which has little to do with FSG.. WTF put this nugget into a conversation about the qualities of FSG? Or is that an obtuse point to raise?

We were long term failures when they took over. They have made us look like the best again. I'm thankful to them for that. You prefer to virtue signal as the tough minded fan who won't let the Americans get away with any credit, even if you have to tie yourself in knots to make the point. Your main argument is its all down to Klopp, but they did sign him after all. It's part of their success. That how success works.
    If by having more imagination you mean demanding everything good happens all at once, then I'll leave you to those fantasies, thanks.
    "We were long term failures when they took over". Really? That doesn't tally with my recollection? Does that include 2005 Istanbul CL winners - 2006 FA Cup winners Runners up in 2007 Champions League - and a title charge again where we should have won but came 2nd in 2009 ranked number 1 Club in Europe - all just 18 months before FSG took over.

As for our more recent rise to the top - Yes - I do put it almost exclusively down to Klopp and yes FSG did employ him so CREDIT to them for doing that. neither one has any bearing on my original myth statements which seem to have angered you so much.
    Last edited by Steveo; 13th May 2019 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    how much rhythm and progress has Spurs 1Billion stadium cost them?
    It appears to have cost them quite a lot. They are going backwards, somewhat. They haven't signed a player in a season or more. Other teams like us have progressed. We have become more attractive to the top players that they will need. They played at Wembley for 18 months which interrupted their flow.
    So those were the choices they made. I'm glad we didn't make them. You may think they are better run - that's fine - but what I've objected too is YOUR INSISTENCE THAT WE ARE BEING BADLY RUN, as if what you are saying is unequivocally true.

how long did did it take them to act between not getting the green light on the Olympic Stadium (now the 60,000 home to the Hammers) and their 62,000 behemoth being completed?
    I don't care how many seats those two stadiums have or how long they took with their decision.

is very very impressive is it not?
    The stadium is very impressive. The thing that impresses me most is the acoustics which seem to add atmosphere that isn't even there. Other than that I'm sure I'd find it soulless compared to Anfield. If they take on a sponsors name it will be even worse. Still, the first point is whether this proves they are better run than us. The second point is whether it proves we are being badly run, which it doesn't.

IMHO has been one area they have been well ahead of what FSG have managed to do for Anfield over a far far longer period. You can run round all 4 stands at Anfield as may times as Spurs have spent millions on their new White Hart Lane and you will still struggle be able to counter that argument.
    FSG have had different problems to overcome with the stadium. The strategy they have followed has not disrupted our progress as a team as much, thankfully.

FSG could have backed Klopp with more than what amounts to 30 million a season net spend (and this ONLY factoring in last summers srelative spending spree) which may have got us where we are now sooner..? Is that not a valid point?.
    The net spend figure is a stat that pleases someone looking for faults. As with all stats, it doesn't tell the full story. Our recent signings have been;
    Van Dijk, Alisson, Keita, Fabinho, Shaquiri
    That's five top players. I don't think you can expect to introduce more than that in a season. Maybe you could, I don't know. But it doesn't look like the transfer policy has been lacklustre to me. Got here sooner? No, I think we've got here in good time. Everyone could hypothetically do better, but you were arguing they SHOULD have done better, which is different.

you suggesting that this is the most we could hope for?
    I have hoped we would return to the top for 30 years. It doesn't look like a flash in the pan. It looks like good planning and management. That's enough to hope for in an imperfect world.

Should we all bow down in thankfulness like some fawning desperado at the kings court?
    No, but we should have the decency to recognise a good thing when it happens to the club.

"We were long term failures when they took over". Really? That doesn't tally with my recollection? Does that include 2005 Istanbul CL winners - 2006 FA Cup winners Runners up in 2007 Champions League - and a title charge again where we should have won but came 2nd in 2009 ranked number 1 Club in Europe - all just 18 months before FSG took over.
    Yes it includes all those things. This is the first period since !990 when the club has appeared to be run properly to me. Rafa is a legend and I wish he'd had longer to achieve more but the club let him down and, retrospectively, it was always going to be that way.That's a counter argument to your 'its all thanks to Klopp' claim. No matter how good the manager, they need the owners to be exerting a positive influence.
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

Fair points Taksin and I agree with plenty of them - but you keep insisting that I have said Spurs are a better run club - I really haven't said any such thing at all. Just think they have managed to do a better job on their stadium than us..in terms of getting more of their fans access to home games, remember they had a 36,000 stadium now nearly doubled in size.. As for the Net spend under FSG I really do believe many fans were wondering after 2 pretty flat NET spend windows. They seem to have put that right last summer. Hopefully it is the start of more investment.
    Last edited by Steveo; 13th May 2019 at 07:20 PM.

net Spend since June 2016 ()

Man City: 343m
    Man Utd: 310m
    Chelsea: 203m
    Everton: 160m
    Arsenal: 148m
    Brighton: 130m
    Wolves: 124m
    West Ham: 112m
    Bourn: 104m
    Fulham: 101m
    Palace: 85m
    Hudd: 81m
    Leic: 76m
    LFC: 73m
    Burnley: 49m
    Watford: 41m
    Spurs: 31m
    Newcastle: 4m
    Southampton: -10m

Could be wrong

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Bloody hell, Inter Milan have spent a sodding fortune....!

MODERATORS This guy is spamming every thread.
    Last edited by alifino; 15th May 2019 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    I mentioned that to him on another thread. Strangely enough, he's not got back to me.
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    Report him.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Report him.
    Did that earlier this afternoon.