Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Good job so far FSG

I’m very happy with the way the club’s being ran at the moment.

To think we once spent our relatively limited budget on 2 players that had a decent World Cup. Klopp would have one telephone conversation with Diouf before saying “next”.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

2 myths to expose.

MYTH: FSG have spent big on the stadium and new training complex at Kirkby.

FACT: barely more combined than Barcelona spent to buy Phillip Coutinho..! Adding 8,500 seats making Anfield the 6th ( thatís right 6th ) largest ground in the League, largely to increase corporate hospitality - the main driving factor.

MYTH: FSG have backed Klopp to the hilt:

FACT: £30 million a year average net spend in a market where Grujic is valued at near £30 million. All incoming players have been bought using outgoing players funds. Anything less than this would be robbery akin to Hicks&Gillett..!

Romance and Klopp aside - FSGís tenure must be judged with caution and an acceptance that while they have not been bad - they have also been extremely conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

Romance and Klopp aside - FSG’s tenure must be judged with caution and an acceptance that while they have not been bad - they have also been extremely conservative.
    Alway the same pattern with you.. obviously you can't say they've been bad, but also obviously you can't say they've been good. So what are you saying exactly?

How much more money exactly should we have spent for them to have to been investing sufficiently? Do you know whether they have let Klopp down by not backing him? Isn't some conservatism actually wise? Doesn't investing in scouting research, leading to surprise acquisitions like Robertson and Fabinho, a sign of extremely canny management? Isn't the gradual expansion of the Greatest Stadium on Earth yielding brilliant results without disrupting our on field progress? Is big spending the only measure of success you can come up with? Is the Tottenham Hotspur model your yardstick? Or will you only be happy with Arab owners?

Are you implying that our transfer model means we have only been buying one Grujic per year, or are your stats meaningless?
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

I was going to mention the point about the increase in corporate hospitality. One of the reasons FSG hired Klopp was his ability to succeed without 'spending' big sums of money. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they are already thinking "Well he's done well so far on a budget, why not just get him to continue in the same vein?".

As I said before, our squad still needs improving and having the 'fat' trimmed off. If we/Klopp go into next season with many (if any) of these players either still at the club, or at least not relegated down the pecking order, I think it's safe to say that FSG are not giving Klopp access to the level of funds his/our performances deserve.

Like I said, if he's not been promised circa £200m (without any major player sales) then FSG aren't as great as some think they are, especially when it comes to on the field matters, namely financially backing the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Alway the same pattern with you.. obviously you can't say they've been bad, but also obviously you can't say they've been good. So what are you saying exactly?

How much more money exactly should we have spent for them to have to been investing sufficiently? Do you know whether they have let Klopp down by not backing him? Isn't some conservatism actually wise? Doesn't investing in scouting research, leading to surprise acquisitions like Robertson and Fabinho, a sign of extremely canny management? Isn't the gradual expansion of the Greatest Stadium on Earth yielding brilliant results without disrupting our on field progress? Is big spending the only measure of success you can come up with? Is the Tottenham Hotspur model your yardstick? Or will you only be happy with Arab owners?

Are you implying that our transfer model means we have only been buying one Grujic per year, or are your stats meaningless?
    I put down 2 myths as I see them Taksin - pretty clearly and dispassionately.

What gradual expansion BTW? The dangled carrot of Anny Road? If it happens great but for now their ONLY commitment to making Anfield competitive with United - Arsenal - City and now Spurs has been one stand - 8,500 ( its less than that BTW ) seats mainly of the corporate variety. How does that help locals or any die hard fans see their beloved side? It simply is not enough - IMO.

Judging the owners in the midst of Kloppís amazing tenure is as much folly as judging it at the end of Rodgers reign.

IMO we could have been here with Klopp a few years ago when the competition was less fierce - opportunity missed IMO. Itís taken Klopp far longer to build his team due to the sell-to-buy philosophy. Itís my just opinion and I am happy that I havenít flip flopped on my rhetoric.

As for the Spurs model - yes a million miles ahead of FSG IMO, and a painful lesson it will be for us all of it pans out as Levy has pictured it.

Investing in scouting is BS - you buy players and some come good and some donít - mostly dependent on the manager. If they work - great if they donít a top manager moves them on for good cash.

Football is more than science and finance - at the end of the day a human has to lead his men... the leader right now IMO is by far the best on this planet ( Klopp ) , we look fantastic right now - but surely people have enough balance and insight to be able to credit the right source...?
    Last edited by Steveo; 12th May 2019 at 11:45 AM.

What gradual expansion BTW?
    Didn't you notice the incredible (to me anyway) rebuilding of the main stand without having to leave Anfield? If they do that with further expansion of the ground won't the gradual nature of the rebuild without moving to another ground be excellent in terms of continuity?
    As for Anfield Road, do you know anything of the problems the club has had with acquiring the necessary properties for expansion that goes a long way back in history, before FSG?

make Anfield competitive
    Anfield is competitive.

United - Arsenal - City and now Spurs has been one stand - 8,500 ( its less than that BTW )
    I don't care if other grounds have more numbers today. Anfield will get bigger and will be a better stadium than the rest with or without having the most seats.

judging the owners in the midst of Klopp’s amazing tenure is as much folly
    You're doing it. Isn't putting down myths a form of judgement? You're making judgements, I'm disagreeing with them

we could have been here with Klopp a few years ago when the competition was less fierce - opportunity missed IMO.
    Hypothetical reasoning, and not true given that there is only one reality and it's the one loaded with the problems that come with history. They had problems to deal with and they have been dealing with them step by step, in my opinion impressively.

It’s taken Klopp far longer to build his team due to the sell-to-buy philosophy.
    We don't have a sell to buy philosophy. We had some world class players who wished to leave even though we didn't want to sell them.

for the Spurs model - yes a million miles ahead of FSG IMO, and a painful lesson it will be for us all of it pans out as Levy has pictured it.
    So you're allowing them time to get it right (even though it hasn't even happened yet)? None of this 'where they could be now' if they hadn't spent a season and a half at Wembley and failing to invest in the team? That's ok for them is it?

in scouting is BS - you buy players and some come good and some don’t - mostly dependent on the manager.
    Glad you're not in charge of player purchases. What you're saying does not tally with the information coming out of the club. We have a scouting system that is giving us an advantage. It is helping Klopp.

Football is more than science and finance - at the end of the day a human has to lead his men... the leader right now IMO is by far the best on this planet ( Klopp ) , we look fantastic right now - but surely people have enough balance and insight to be able to credit the right source...?
    A human has to also own and manage the club upstairs. You were praising 'Spurs' a minute ago. You didn't mention Pochettino. I could go on about how they've reached the Champions league final despite under-investment, thanks to a brilliant manager, but the conversation has to have some discipline. You're always moaning about the owners and then claiming to be praising them when confronted. I'm just pulling you up on it. I think the club is being well run and that is main reason for our footballing progress. When we bought Van Dijk and Alisson, that wasn't Klopp signing the cheques. If rumours are true, he wasn't keen on Salah, but that purchase came about as result of good research and pragmatic decision making. That's a sign that things are going well right through the club. It's only fair to acknowledge that.
    Sir what is going on.. things is not going according to plan. u promiss early signing. noting happen. Man u 3 player now

You can and we do over analyse sometimes. I have yet to see any evidence Klopp has not been fully backed in his needs. The patience to wait for the right player, ie Van Dijk was beautiful. Alisson's been a dream, Robertson monumental, Salah - do i need to say anything, Klopp and his team are selecting and acquiring the Right players regardless of price wether they are the most expensive on the planet or £8m from Hull. Pas a Pas.
    You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?"

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    @Southetnboy

We don't know exactly what Klopp has or has not had to spend, however what we do know is that we still have players on our bench and in our squad that are not only obviously not good enough, but players that Klopp has little time for. With that being the case, I'd suggest that Klopp has not been given any kind of massive wedge to spend, as if he had, most if not all of these players would not even be in our squad, never mind on the bench or even playing.
    While I get your frustration/criticism I think there is a fair bit of intelligence in how we've gone about things.
    Let's pretend when Klopp came in they sat him down and said open cheque book who do you want to sign. He gave them a list that'd satisfy his squad needs and a list of people to get rid of also. In this scenario there'd be overspending on ascertaining all these players and a bigger loss on getting rid of players. Let's pretend this didnt hamper him in signing new talents that emerged in following seasons too.
    The way they've done it they've gotten good returns on players we've moved on and been able to sign players for fees that we very might well have paid more for had we we been perceived as a bottomless pits of cash ala the oligarchy clubs. It's unlikely we could have attracted the calibre of player we now can attract. While the wages required could have left us in our own Adebayor/Sanchez problems.

Really VVD and Alisson are the only big fees, while Fabinho and Keita are the only ones above the Carroll fee and that's ignoring footballs inflation rate.

100 mill net spend to evolve the squad as weve done is amazing, the fact it's taken a bit longer than we'd like is a bit of an attached reality imo, it could have been a bit quicker. Think we're at the point now where those we might very well sell this summer are players that we/he wouldn't mind losing whether fees are involved or merely wages off the books.

This summer should indicate how we're doing. Theres potential to sell/release a few players and really there arent too many berths to fill out the squad.

Funny thing is there are a fair few options in attack that could be got on the cheap, 3 players we've been linked with are entering their final years of contracts, one with a set release clause of about 25 mill iirc. While another whose not out of contract next summer has a release clause of about 35 mill this summer. A few of these options could provide the playmaker role in midfield/Cam that people call for but can play in wide attacking roles which is where they would be needed more so.

Deligt would cost about the same as dejong and that is a big enough fee. But amortized over the future of such a player it represents value. Left back cant see us spending too much on a back up for Robbo. Not seen any names mentioned for this position.

Show me the pudding

@Taksin Fabinho wasnt unearthed by scouting. He was on the radar of nuneours top clubs, having played a significant part in the league title triumph over PSG and getting to a cl final.
    Robertson wasnt an unknown but arguably his addition has yielded results that even the more positive of us could not honestly foresee, hes been that good - awesome.

Another great thing about our signings is the sheer content of their character irrespective of the colour of their skin. Top fookin lads on and off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post

I Believe they've always had good intentions and up until recently, bad advice.

But never forget they are in it to make money...

How much love do they have for Soccer?

They probably do love their American Sports concerns but we were a great Investment opportunity.

I'm not saying that's good or bad....The Jury's out ....But I think they're starting to realise investing in success will make them more money.