Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joel Matip

Joel Matip

Thought I'd give a mention. His form over the last 3 months as been terrific. Of course anyone playing beside Virgil is going look good.But his own performances have been up there .think him having a long run and being injury free as helped enormously.Lovren looks like he's gonna be way down the pecking order now.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

He has done very well. Massively impressed by him. It almost seems like he needs an extended run of games (10+) to get into a good patch of form every time.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

A free transfer as well.

He has been absolutely excellent.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Good shout Justme, hes been spot on.

Was thinking earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if Lovren leaves in the summer he's hardly played this season and as said Matip is ahead of him the pecking order now

Quote Originally Posted by riera11 View Post
    Was thinking earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if Lovren leaves in the summer he's hardly played this season and as said Matip is ahead of him the pecking order now
    Matip and Gomez, pretty sure Lovren will be moved on, too many lapses and too many players in this league know how to get a cheap foul out of him

Matip has always been good, but he's been hampered by injuries and takes a run of games to be at his best
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Videos like this show you just how important top centre-backs are.

Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Videos like this show you just how important top centre-backs are.

Top? CB's in general Sid.

This guy is just abysmal. Truly shocking video footage. Didn't think he was that bad

Took me a bit to find a Matip thread in here.

On current form I think he's the best centre-back in the League (Van Dijk will inevitably overtake him again very soon) and I love how under-the-radar he seems to go.

When it comes to fans of other clubs, it reminds me a bit of Arbeloa - they just totally overlook how good he is.

Not sure what we're doing to keep him fit (to the frustration of Gomez and Konate!) but I'm glad we're managing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Took me a bit to find a Matip thread in here.

On current form I think he's the best centre-back in the League (Van Dijk will inevitably overtake him again very soon) and I love how under-the-radar he seems to go.

When it comes to fans of other clubs, it reminds me a bit of Arbeloa - they just totally overlook how good he is.

Not sure what we're doing to keep him fit (to the frustration of Gomez and Konate!) but I'm glad we're managing so far.
    He was our best CB in our Champions League winning season, had to do more defending than Virgil as teams were always looking to exploit any space left for them by Trent - Yesterday was about par, Matip won on defending, Virigl won on passing, Watford's best chance Virgil played them on, when in an almost identical situation in the first half, Matip stepped up with immaculate timing to catch them offside.

I've always rated Matip incredibly highly, Virgil is the best CB in the league, although not at his very best levels again yet, but Matip isn't far behind him at all, Virgil has better distribution, pace and strength that will always keep him just ahead of Joel, but for me Joel's long been the second best CB in the league, he doesn't 'look good' playing next to Virigl, he is good, very frickin good in his own right
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”