Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: How long will this investigation continue?

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I don't dispute any of those things. The point is, there are mechanisms in place for determining whether or not someone is guilty of something. Mechanisms on which we've all agreed.
    UEFA is not beyond accusations themselves of corruption. Olympics, Fifa and UEFA have all been shown to be rather corrupt.

I have to be honest, I don't remember how good real were when he was at Barca. What was wrong with them that he had such an advantage? In general in terms of pull, money and prestige Real are possibly the only place on earth that's more alluring than Barca.
    What he did at Barca was special. Xavi iniesta there already and a bunch of talented young footballers coming through the ranks.

My only criticism of his time at Barca is that over this timeline there've been numerous stories and accusations about doping- not financial but more drugs.

Same accusations can be levelled at Real. Disgraced cycling doctors from the Lance Armstrong era and previously implicated doctors from football controversies involved in the game
    We've seen tax evasion scandals around this time also but the drug cheating allegations are far more pressing.

Listening to the last head of wada and essentially they've said it is not possible to catch drug cheats today through testing. It's too easy to subvert the rules/tests and they've said the only way to catch drug cheats today is to have investigations which include police raids.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    What he did at Barca was special. Xavi iniesta there already and a bunch of talented young footballers coming through the ranks.

My only criticism of his time at Barca is that over this timeline there've been numerous stories and accusations about doping- not financial but more drugs.

Same accusations can be levelled at Real. Disgraced cycling doctors from the Lance Armstrong era and previously implicated doctors from football controversies involved in the game
    We've seen tax evasion scandals around this time also but the drug cheating allegations are far more pressing.

Listening to the last head of wada and essentially they've said it is not possible to catch drug cheats today through testing. It's too easy to subvert the rules/tests and they've said the only way to catch drug cheats today is to have investigations which include police raids.
    If i remember correctly Guardiola himself was found to be taking PEDs, he sends all City players to a specific doctor in Barcelona which those inclined to conspiracy theories are suspicious of

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    UEFA is not beyond accusations themselves of corruption. Olympics, Fifa and UEFA have all been shown to be rather corrupt.
    Doesn't matter - that's the governing body and the rules by which we must play. Kind of like the OJ trial - everyone "knows" he's guilty, but the agreed upon systems find him to be innocent. All you can do is push for reform in those systems.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by riera11 View Post
    If i remember correctly Guardiola himself was found to be taking PEDs, he sends all City players to a specific doctor in Barcelona which those inclined to conspiracy theories are suspicious of
    He failed two drug tests for steroids iirc, spent years and numerous means of overturning those charges. His then doctor then joined him at Barca when he became first team manager.

Did the same at Bayern too iirc. There are no doctors in sports as good as the disgraced Lance Armstrong doctors...

As wada have said drug testing is a formality that is easily subverted today. If you fail a drug test today its negligence on your part.

To catch drug cheats now takes large teams of investigators assisted by police raids on premises.

Doesn't matter - that's the governing body and the rules by which we must play. Kind of like the OJ trial - everyone "knows" he's guilty, but the agreed upon systems find him to be innocent. All you can do is push for reform in those systems.
    Not sure that's a good example or like for like metaphor.
    The question regarding UEFA is whether they have applied the rules and checks impartially.

Not sure there was any mention of judicial corruption in oj's trial ?

The system is completely compromised by money. For instance Had WADA been presented with investigations into ďstate sponsored dopingĒ (clever term to make it somewhere different to - just doping) British or American Athletics they would find an even higher percentage of doping than they claim to have found against Russia ( still huge amounts of factual evidence missing in this case. Itís common knowledge in the athletics world that Russia got blamed for a crime endemic across the sport globally. In short it was a politically motivated trial and punishment. This is before we even start talking about the huge number of western athletes with TUEís.

Do we believe there is the political will from anywhere in the west ( who control almost all forms of sport adjudication) to investigate the deep corruption at the heart of the Gulf petrodollar? That can of worms does not close again by the way...

Itís naive to believe anything of more will happen... If it does itís an amazing bonus - donít hold your breath.

Well, according to this piece in The Echoe every governing body is investigating City's financial arrangements in regards to FFP

It's right that they're not getting credit, there was a story about Noel Gallagher urging Spurs to "win for British football" if that were the reason for people to want either side to win the Champions League final this season every single football fan out there should surely be backing the one side that has stood up and fought back against City and shown every other team in the league that with good coaching, smart recruitment and plenty of tactical acumen City are vulnerable and beatable and but for refereeing errors and the absence of VAR in the Premier League this season would have been beaten by a side operating within the rules.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/pep-guardiola-cant-expect-universal-16304823
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtainsĒ

Excellent piece.
    I really donít get other teamsí obsession with us, City, Utd and even Everton often singing songs about us when not playing us.
    Tell me if Iím wrong but I really donít think we sing about other teams unless weíre playing them.