Buy Liverpool T-Shirts, LFC Kit and Merch now

Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool v Wolverhampton Wanderers (Match Thread)

From here we het to set the tone

Go to Madrid with it in our own hands and win the Champions league final

Strengthen the right areas with 3 or 4 top quality players in the summer

Beat City and beat them well in the charity shield

Start next season continuing our run of back to back wins, hopefully playing City away early and beat them and beat them well again

Keep stringing together back to back wins
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

In the past it always felt like we'd just lost out on our big chance...
    This time it feels like this will only make us stronger.

On a big scale map, about an inch North of Anfield
    Well boys and girls, just the one big one to go.

I'm a bit of a long-time lurker, don't post very often, but enjoy reading the conversations and the banter (well, most of it). So at the end of the league campaign, thanks to all of you 'proper' posters - it's been a blast (and the negative wassocks have had to shut up, great). Here's hoping for the big finish.

HT

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    In the past it always felt like we'd just lost out on our big chance...
    This time it feels like this will only make us stronger.
    Me too, i think we'll be even stronger next season

Brilliant as he is, for us to be even more ruthless and clinical we HAVE to work on Mo passing the ball more to players in much better positions, instead of attempting the impossible, yeah it's brilliant when it comes off, but it comes off about 1 in 30 times, at least 15 of those times there's a player in a far better position, who if they only scored 1 out of 3 times, would still give us 4 more goals, the golden boot isn't everything. We were credited in several news outlets after the 4-0 win against Barcelona as making the game entirely about the team again as no other side has managed in years with the age of the star player, well Mane also finished with 22 Premier League goals this season and he passed it almost every time one of our players was in a better position, if that favour has been equally return he's be walking away with the golden boot, no superstars in this team next season, the team's the superstar and the team scoring as many goals as possible and winning as many games as possible is the be all and end all

Rotation of the forward as we did v Barcelona, it needs doing more often in games, Mane's equally as good on either side, when it's not quite happening move Mo left for a 10 minute spell, tell him to get some low balls and cut backs in for Mane and the midfielders, tell him to open the channel and lay it back for Robbo to drill in a powerful shot along the deck to either bottom corner, or curl a short cross for Mane through the channel, or play a 5 yard slide rule through the channel either to the penalty spot or as a return ball for Mo and have Robbo practice those shots after training. These are all ways we can score more goals and win a lot more football games, only ever using Mo inside right or central is a criminal waste

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Me too, i think we'll be even stronger next season

Brilliant as he is, for us to be even more ruthless and clinical we HAVE to work on Mo passing the ball more to players in much better positions, instead of attempting the impossible, yeah it's brilliant when it comes off, but it comes off about 1 in 30 times, at least 15 of those times there's a player in a far better position, who if they only scored 1 out of 3 times, would still give us 4 more goals, the golden boot isn't everything. We were credited in several news outlets after the 4-0 win against Barcelona as making the game entirely about the team again as no other side has managed in years with the age of the star player, well Mane also finished with 22 Premier League goals this season and he passed it almost every time one of our players was in a better position, if that favour has been equally return he's be walking away with the golden boot, no superstars in this team next season, the team's the superstar and the team scoring as many goals as possible and winning as many games as possible is the be all and end all

Rotation of the forward as we did v Barcelona, it needs doing more often in games, Mane's equally as good on either side, when it's not quite happening move Mo left for a 10 minute spell, tell him to get some low balls and cut backs in for Mane and the midfielders, tell him to open the channel and lay it back for Robbo to drill in a powerful shot along the deck to either bottom corner, or curl a short cross for Mane through the channel, or play a 5 yard slide rule through the channel either to the penalty spot or as a return ball for Mo and have Robbo practice those shots after training. These are all ways we can score more goals and win a lot more football games, only ever using Mo inside right or central is a criminal waste
    Got a bit technical for me towards the end if in honest mate....lol...but I agree with the gist....

I really noticed it today.....if he put it into the box quickly like Robbo and Trent he would add a lot of assists to his golden boots

But now hes doing what most people do...cutting in from the wing which actually slows down the attack
    Last edited by shminkyred; 12th May 2019 at 07:27 PM.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    Got a bit technical for me towards the end if in honest mate....lol...but I agree with the gist....

I really noticed it today.....if he put it into the box quickly like Robbo and Trent he would add a lot of assists to his golden boots

But now hes doing what most people do...cutting in from the wing which actually slows down the attack
    Yep people talk about Mo being world class, he scores some world class goals but he's far from being world class, a big part of being world class is the ability to consistently make the best decision that benefits the team the most, he falls a long way short of that, the other combined with that is using every ability you have as effectively as possible to win your team football matches, he falls a long way short on that too

Jurgen said himself "There are 500,000 ways to win a football match" well in my post you quoted there are 5 or 6 right there we've never once tried using all season

Origi seems to play a lot better on the right of the 3, so when he starts why not at least give him 20 minutes there with Mane and Salah interchanging between LF and CF and inside right when Origi's wide right? Try different things to move opposition defences around. What was wrong, especially with that sun being a pain for Wolves second half like it was for us first half, with standing some balls up wide right to Origi's head for him to try and knock down behind their defence for Mane and/or Salah coming through the channels between their 3 cb's? Or nod backwards to Hendo to attempt a slide rule, a short cross or a shot for Mane or Salah?

I've named over 20 different ways to potentially win a football match with the players we had out today right now that we never even tried today, they are all 'possibilities' to win football matches we need to do a lot more work on, in training and in pre-season, because at times we've drawn games because we don't utilise these things and instead conduct a war of attrition doing exactly the same thing over and over and over believing something would give eventually and a few draws too many it didn't. We need to work on ways to mix it up better for 5 or 10 minute spells to continue developing and giving teams some proper good hidings next season so we'll start to become the team they don't turn up against.

Spurs know how we play all to well, might be worth working on some of these things in the next 2 and a half weeks. And re the world class and the impossible coming off 1 in 30 times for Mo, a forward, the goal Kompany scored that clinched the title for City was his 39th shot from outside the box in either his entire career or his City career, he's a cb and his ratio's almost as good. And Barcelona second leg, we hardly gave Messi a kick, but when he got it he made the right decision every time, sent Coutinho, Suarez and Alba through with a perfectly weighted pass with his only 3 opportunities to, drove forward and won the free kick when that was his only option and tested Allisson twice on 2 of his 3 opportunities to, that's world class, every single thing he did when he got the opportunity to was the right decision

So there it is. After 38 games and 30 wins, with just one defeat by the narrowest of margins, the final whistle ended the dream, this time around at least.

I went today with no great expectations. 97 points was the sum of my ambitions. But for an all too brief moment in that first half, we allowed ourselves to think that yet another miracle was about to bless Anfield. We all know the rest.

The lads struggled today, perhaps knowing that it wasn’t to be, maybe finding the occasion a bit flat after Tuesday’s heroics. But, like so many other times this season, they pulled enough out of the hat to get the result. Full credit to the squad; they’ve confounded me time and time again this season. That final whistle felt like an inevitable hammer blow, and momentarily the wind was blown from our sails. We recovered to give the ovation that these players deserve, and they in turn rewarded us with a somewhat reflective almost subdued lap of honour. At least the kids were happy out there.

I’m praying that the lap of honour in Madrid is a celebration.

Thanks for the match threads lads. YNWA
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

There was no way they were walking the league again. We pushed them to the very last game, they haven't got any better but we have. All the signs are there for us to go one better next time. Hopefully as European champions.
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)

It would have helped the lads immensely if 70% of the ground were actually getting behind them and watching them play instead of pissing around on their fucking phones more interested in what was happening at Brighton