Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: VAR - ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    If our officials use it as efficiently as the German officials do in the Bundesliga for offside's and penaly calls it'll be a good thing

We'd have won the league this season if VAR was in operation, and with a couple of games to spare with 99 points

I think the decisions will equal themselves out over the course of a season. Just like in the West Ham away game (if I remember correctly) we would have had the goal disallowed for offside.

Quote Originally Posted by red_4_lyf View Post
    I think the decisions will equal themselves out over the course of a season. Just like in the West Ham away game (if I remember correctly) we would have had the goal disallowed for offside.
    That was also the game VAR would have given us a pen and there was another game we weren't given a pen var would have given us which we drew

City on the other hand had 2 games they won courtesy of penalties that weren't and offside goals in the same games

I remember 'it evens itself out' being trotted out all the time by some here when Ferguson was at United, so i kept a record one season and in points they gained through wrong decisions and the team finishing second lost through wrong decisions United benefitted from a 13 point swing that season and unsurprisingly didn't win the league by that margin and to win by a solitary point when just one wrong decision cost a side 1 or 2 points to say 'it evens itself out' is pretty ridiculous

Had VAR been in place this season we'd have finished on 99 points and City on 94
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 12th May 2019 at 09:01 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

There's been several decisions this season that have cost us.
    Mane scored a winner at arsenal for example.
    Kompany should have been sent off twice.
    Read something about us being 7 points better off around March.
    Take away their money as well!

Tell you what though, you would have an absolute field day compiling incidents from Ferguson's reign and applying VAR to them
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I don't get this, things will even themselves out stuff. That will mean officials who are deciding. will take into consideration what other calls have been made in other games and take their opinion from that.
    It can get very messy.
    Leader of all..master of none..

I used to hate the idea of VAR for most of the same reasons that people mentioned on here - interrupting the flow of the game. In sports such as cricket, or American football it is fine because by their nature there is a natural break every few seconds - in football the game could go on for another few minutes before there is a pause.

However, I thought it worked almost perfectly at the World Cup last year, there was no real disruption to speak of - and the games were better for it because there was so little controversy in the results.

The issue isn't the technology itself, it's making sure that the VAR teams use it correctly (why on Earth we didn't get a referral in Barcelona when Pique clearly fouled Mane is beyond me). If an incident is missed by the ref, picked up by the VAR team, referred back to the ref, reviewed by him and he goes with his original incorrect decision - that's not the fault of VAR, it's happened because you have a shitty referee!

For offsides it worked well but I remember there was a number of times when the ref saw an incident, made a decision, and was then pinged in his ear to 'have another look' which invariably meant he changed that decision even though it wasn't a 'clear & obvious error'.

For handballs and fouls it will always be up for interpretation no matter how many times the ref re-watches it.
    Last edited by toneata; 13th May 2019 at 09:58 AM.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post
    For offsides it worked well but I remember there was a number of times when the ref saw an incident, made a decision, and was then pinged in his ear to 'have another look' which invariably meant he changed that decision even though it wasn't a 'clear & obvious error'.

For handballs and fouls it will always be up for interpretation no matter how many times the ref re-watches it.
    The handball rule is not fit for purpose at the moment, and from what I've read it's only going to get worse next year.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    On the other hand, if you have a ref who's not the best, they have a first opportunity to give or deny something, possibly followed by a second opportunity to give or deny the decision they wanted initially.

I look at two incidents that make me believe it's going to be chaos, in the Champions League:
    1 Sadio's goal in Porto - correct decision eventally but the celebrations were muted because it took so long to make it.
    2 Man United's penalty against PSG - no effing way was that a penalty, and it decided a very big game.
    Like I say....its not perfect.....but if the ref isnt that good at least now he can't hide behind I didn't see it....
    He now has all the information he needs to make his decision.

Maybe we need to forget about right and wrong there's always someone who will disagree.

We now know the incident has been seen from all angles.

Now that we are all satisfied hes seen it his interpretation of that rule is all that matters wether you agree with it or not.
    I've never agreed with the magistrate.... but I still had to pay the fines........but there have been times when when he looked at the evidence and I've managed to blag my way out of it.
    By the way I've got a great way of beating speed cameras...PM me if you're interested....your not allowed to be a magistrate or old bill....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Clungeman View Post
    The handball rule is not fit for purpose at the moment, and from what I've read it's only going to get worse next year.
    Handball is Handball for me. Who is going to admit that they handled on purpose? absolutely no-one. The rules of the game used to be so simple, some of the changes just complicate things.
    There are only 2 teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves. (Bill Shankly)